• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Automotive odds and ends (part 1)

Some things of interest that I have run into at the shop over the last few months.

It never ceases to amaze me what people do to there cars. Here are a couple of head shakers.

Gorilla tape is not an acceptable replacement for rack or CV dust boots

20161117_080702.jpg

20161117_080716.jpg

Air filters do not replace cabin filters. (Yes this really happened)

20161014_105509.jpg

This one is a little hard to see but the customer installed brake rotors that are almost an inch in diameter to small. there are two options for this vehicle and they had the other option. Always compare the new parts with the old parts just to make sure.....

20161228_090956.jpg

This last month has been a bad month for motors. I think we condemned over 10 of them. This one is a Subaru which was one of the easiest motors I have done.

20161205_100125.jpg

20161214_151742.jpg

This is one of the more difficult motors I have run into. The power train is dropped out the bottom and then separated after the AWD transfer case is removed from the transmission. I had about 11 hours into this project.

20161219_105631.jpg20161219_132222.jpg20161219_132212.jpg

Something kind of cool I ran into. Carbon tracking is not uncommon but the pattern that this one made is pretty unique.

20161208_123914.jpg

This vehicle came in with an ABS light on. After pulling codes and inspecting the bearing I found that the plastic magnet exciter ring was flaking off from the bearing (the missing part is visible near the large bolt head towards the bottom of the photo). I am seeing a lot more of this type of exciter ring on newer vehicles so this may become a pattern type failure. The fix was to replace the bearing assembly.

20161209_073345.jpg

4 hours ago, 1968 said:

Wow, your fast. Subie engine on it's way out and the snow hasn't melted yet!

I just noticed that. I did have the right side head removed previously to investigate a coolant leak. So all i had to do was pull some bell housing bolts, a couple of connectors, and swing the accessories out of the way. ;)

5 hours ago, 1968 said:

Wow, your fast. Subie engine on it's way out and the snow hasn't melted yet!

Ha, I noticed the snow as well but thought no one is that fast, he must have pulled it out of the shop, or has a darn cold shop! :lol:

25 minutes ago, swamptiger said:

I wonder who decided cars needed cabin filters in the first place?

When manufacturers gave us the option of recirculating the air in the cabin instead of always bringing in outside air, it created the need for cabin filters.

40 minutes ago, Pat K said:

When manufacturers gave us the option of recirculating the air in the cabin instead of always bringing in outside air, it created the need for cabin filters.

I've only had one vehicle with a cabin air filter - a 2007 Ford Focus.

(worst pile of junk I've ever owned, incidentally..)