• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish House rv Build

Papa Bear

Frame weighed in at 1500 lbs. Steel frame of that size is around 2300 lbs. I was told Yetti 21' models are about 5200 lbs finished. I imagine I'll be right around there. I was actually more interested in aluminum because of the rust issue but weight savings doesn't hurt. I know the galvanized frames are popular now, I just personally wonder how long the galvanizing will last on the bottom of the frame getting repeatedly frozen to the ice and lifted off.

1 hour ago, randingo said:

looks amazing! great craftsmanship there. How much you estimate the total cost of your project vs buying the yetti thats already built? It amazes me that you can do that kind of project with the little ones around!

Its definately a challenge with the kids to entertain. Having the wife on board with the whole thing is key! Cost...I'll just say my estimated total cost is just slightly less than an ice castle of similar size and amenities. 

2 hours ago, BartmanMN said:

This house is looking beautiful.  You should be really proud to be the owner/builder of that. 

Can't wait to see the finished product.  Keep up the excellent work!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

What kind of flooring did you use?  Not worried about slipping from water/snow?

It's adhesive backed vinyl plank. The adhesive didn't stick to the subfloor at all so I ended up gluing it all down similar to how sheet vinyl or VCT would be. We wanted something that would clean up easy. The pup sheds a lot so carpet was out. It has a pretty good texture to it and looks to be very tough. Tracking snow in over weekend didn't seem to cause any issues but time will tell I guess. The real selling point of this stuff was the price at only $1/sqft.

Do you level house out before you put walls on? I built a house about 3 years ago but I had wood studs. we cut all to the same length and put on house. when we would raise and lower house the frame would bend and walls would move. so we took all the walls off, leveled frame completely on blocks, and built the entire house like this. after walls, roof, siding and spray foam were on it never moved again.

just curious if you have noticed this? we only noticed when we lowered house to ground the bottom of frame didn't touch ground everywhere.

2 hours ago, fishinfan said:

Do you level house out before you put walls on? I built a house about 3 years ago but I had wood studs. we cut all to the same length and put on house. when we would raise and lower house the frame would bend and walls would move. so we took all the walls off, leveled frame completely on blocks, and built the entire house like this. after walls, roof, siding and spray foam were on it never moved again.

just curious if you have noticed this? we only noticed when we lowered house to ground the bottom of frame didn't touch ground everywhere.

I'm guessing this was due to the camber that is built into the frame to allow for it to be flat when all the weight is added.  When you level it on blocks, and build the structure, it is then locked into place and can't move/flex.  

Like he said ^.  This frame actually had more of an upwards curve to it than I think the frame builder planned for. I think because it is aluminum which acts like that. Before welding the walls in place I attached the tongue to the truck to hold the front down and then weighted the back down to flatten it out.

Has anyone used "soft close" type hinges and drawer slides on their cabinets? Wondering if there is enough resistance with these to stop them from opening going down the road. I've seen the little clip/peg retainers that IC, Yetti, etc use. Just looking for a different option. Other ideas?

57 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

Has anyone used "soft close" type hinges and drawer slides on their cabinets? Wondering if there is enough resistance with these to stop them from opening going down the road. I've seen the little clip/peg retainers that IC, Yetti, etc use. Just looking for a different option. Other ideas?

They make a rail that when it slides closed it drops about 1/4". I have these and they are nice for driving down the road but my 3 and 5 year olds can't open them up!

For the doors, I used an rv type style clip. To open you have to push in and then they pop open.

Thanks guys!

32 minutes ago, fishinfan said:

They make a rail that when it slides closed it drops about 1/4". I have these and they are nice for driving down the road but my 3 and 5 year olds can't open them up!

For the doors, I used an rv type style clip. To open you have to push in and then they pop open.

Any chance you have a brand, model or picture of these? I think I get what you are saying just haven't seen them before.

1 hour ago, Papa Bear said:

Thanks guys!

Any chance you have a brand, model or picture of these? I think I get what you are saying just haven't seen them before.

The drawer rails you just want ones with "detent" on them. I think ours are set to 10lbs.

Here are pics for the doors.

Screenshot_20170117-162809.png