• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

2 hours ago, roony said:

Evan Williams might be ok for the skid row drinker who is more into quantity than quality. I don't drink to excess anymore, when I have a drink I care more about how it tastes than I do about what it does to me. ;)

what da matter wit ya willis????????????:P:grin:

22 minutes ago, roony said:

That is fine del. A lot of people like Ripple and Boonesfarm wines too.:lol:

oh i remember da summer camping with da boonsefarm and ripple!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cool:

I don't mind Evan Williams but it's no where near as good as Trader Joe's but then again my beer of choice is Old Mill. 

I've got a set of these bullet chillers on the way. Somehow I became a booze snob and didn't want my cheap Bourbon watered down and I'd rather have it chilled.  Less than 20 on the big A.

IMG_6670.PNG

IMG_6671.PNG

Edited by huntnfish

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

And a lot of people are pretentious snobs who pretend to distinguish  differences that do not exist. 

And then there are a select few people that don't know their arse from a hole in the ground and have the time to google chit about any subject imaginable and then pretend to be ex spurts on internet forums. 

I get what Del is saying to a certain extent. I would never buy a bottle of Pappy for $2000. There's no way that any whiskey can taste 40-50 times better than a $30-$50 bottle. I actually rarely buy anything over $35/bottle but that's just me being cheap. I do like to try the $50 stuff but have rarely found anything that I like better than Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace or Maker's Mark. Actually one of my favorite Bourbon's is Jim Beam Black for only about $25 a bottle.

That being said I couldn't care less what other people drink or what they pay for their whiskey, beer, wine or whatever. If you have a job and make your own money, buy and drink what you want.

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

And a lot of people are pretentious snobs who pretend to distinguish  differences that do not exist. 

I don't know if that's true or not but I sometimes wonder the same thing about all the people who claim to like really hoppy beers.

3 hours ago, huntnfish said:

I've got a set of these bullet chillers on the way. Somehow I became a booze snob and didn't want my cheap Bourbon watered down and I'd rather have it chilled.  Less than 20 on the big A.

IMG_6670.PNG

IMG_6671.PNG

Those are cool but I enjoy the amount of water that mixes with my whiskey when I put 2 or 3 cubes of ice in it.

18 minutes ago, huntnfish said:

You guys must have a nicer wife than I've got. By the end of the day I'm worn out from arguing with her and come here for a break. Seems like the opposite on here sometimes. :grin:

That's because this is the cooking thread and not Silly Town. Plenty of whining be-oches to argue with over there all day! ;)

Edited by leech~~

10 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I don't know if that's true or not but I sometimes wonder the same thing about all the people who claim to like really hoppy beers.

I hear ya Dave !

I spent close to 3 years in Germany and drank a lot of different brands of German beer and never had anything taste as bad as an IPA. In our town of around 100,000 we had 3 breweries and if you went 20 miles to another town the odds are you would not find the any of the 3 beers but completely different breweries. 3 beers always for the most part...Weitzen (wheat), Weise ( Normal) and Pils and all only had 4 ingredients and no preservatives. 

20 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

I hear ya Dave !

I spent close to 3 years in Germany and drank a lot of different brands of German beer and never had anything taste as bad as an IPA. In our town of around 100,000 we had 3 breweries and if you went 20 miles to another town the odds are you would not find the any of the 3 beers but completely different breweries. 3 beers always for the most part...Weitzen (wheat), Weise ( Normal) and Pils and all only had 4 ingredients and no preservatives. 

Yes. And if you got to the southwest part of the country they have some of the best wine on the planet as well. I was introduced to German beer there in the 80's and it was a learning experience. Bars with room temp kegs and either Dunkel or Licht beer. They know how to do it right.

17 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

I hear ya Dave !

And if you went to Italy, they have all that stuff that is bitter.  It is a matter of taste for sure.   BTW, hops is (or was) added to beer as a preservative as well as a flavor.  

Personally I don't care for that weird stuff, but do like an IPA on occasion, or a Grain Belt for old time's sake.   

Gotta tell you guys, since you got my curiosity going on Bulleit, things just haven’t been the same. :P

I’m finding I’m pulling more corks than spinning gold crowns off bottles.  And pretty much everyone that I know than can appreciate bourbon on the rocks has really liked it too.

Lord Calvert is smooth and cheap! I have some expensive bottles, but I find myself drinking lord Calvert, southern comfort, honey jack daniels, grandpa’s favorite Windsor. 

Mostly a rum drinker, but I like to have extensive collection to offer my friends. 

I tried a few new ones the last couple weeks. The first was Evan Williams 1783. Very good over ice or mixed with a splash of water. Plenty smooth and good enough that I got a second bottle to replace the one that somehow became empty. Price was about $16. 

12 foot beard. This was ok and smooth enough to drink over ice. The best part about this one was that someone else bought it. Price was about $30 a bottle. It was good enough to drink on someone else's dime but I don't think I'd buy it myself. 

I also tried a bottle of Redemption. This was very good over ice and about the closest thing I've found to the Trader Joe's bourbon that I like. Price was about $18 a bottle. Definitely one that I would buy again. 

I dont know why but I like the bottle with a cork and not a screw off cap. The Redemption and Beard both had corks.