• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

This past weekend myself and some other brought up a bottles to the deer shack.   They were:

Jim Beam Single Barrel which was surprisingly good

Knob Creek Rye - very good

Tin Cup - good

Evan Williams Single Barrel - good 

all over the rocks for me.  My dad and buddy were drinking the Knob Creek neat

I bought a bottle of this at Total Wine last night for less than $20 expecting to use it as a mixer. I decided to pour 2 fingers on the rocks when we got home and to my surprise it was extremely smooth. It probably doesn't have the complexity that more discerning bourbon drinkers may require but for my money it tastes really good and is very easy to drink. I will definitely be buying more. 

watkins bourbon.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Almquist said:

I have never seen Watkins on the shelf but now I will have to keep an eye out. Bought a bottle of Booker's as a gift to myself. Have to be real careful as its 125 proof and kinda sneaky smooth.

As far as I know it is only sold at Total Wine as kind of a "house" whiskey. It may very well be available as some other name because it is one of those sneaky brands that bottle in California but the bourbon is produced somewhere in Kentucky evidently. I'm not sure who makes it.

Booker's is made by Beam. It is not uncommon for these company's to work that way. I guess Booker's get first choice of the barrels and a certain spot in the racks in a specific building for ageing. No Total Wine in the area so I will have to wait till I head south.

I think I remember seeing a program on Whiskey on the history channel or something.  I want to say that Irish Whiskey - at least modern Irish Whisky, is like "Light Bourbon" from a flavor perspective.  They actually use used bourbon barrels which brings on the same flavor profile, only much more mild, as well as other hints and flavors that a freshly-charred oak barrel overpowers with American Bourbon.  I thought about that the next time I tried Jameson and it makes sense.  Could definitely sense the bourbon-like aromas.

Edited by ThunderLund78

1 hour ago, ThunderLund78 said:

I think I remember seeing a program on Whiskey on the history channel or something.  I want to say that Irish Whiskey - at least modern Irish Whisky, is like "Light Bourbon" from a flavor perspective.  They actually use used bourbon barrels which brings on the same flavor profile, only much more mild, as well as other hints and flavors that a freshly-charred oak barrel overpowers with American Bourbon.  I thought about that the next time I tried Jameson and it makes sense.  Could definitely sense the bourbon-like aromas.

I don't think all Irish Whiskeys use used barrels but in order to call your product Kentucky straight bourbon you can not use used barrels. 

26 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I don't think all Irish Whiskeys use used barrels but in order to call your product Kentucky straight bourbon you can not use used barrels. 

Canadian whiskey is aged in used barrels, I believe.   

5 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Canadian whiskey is aged in used barrels, I believe.   

Canadian regulations don't require that the barrels be new like Kentucky bourbon regulations but that doesn't mean that all Canadian whiskey is aged in used barrels. It just means that Canadian producers have the choice unlike Kentucky producers.

9 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Canadian regulations don't require that the barrels be new like Kentucky bourbon regulations but that doesn't mean that all Canadian whiskey is aged in used barrels. It just means that Canadian producers have the choice unlike Kentucky producers.

Which ones use new barrels?  How would I find out?  The Canadian stuff I have tried seems to have a muted flavor profile, or maybe it is my old worn out sense of taste.  

My brother-in-law is serious about his whiskey, and he usually drinks either Crown or Pendleton.  My wife has drank Windsor for years.  

Can't stand the stuff myself - probably got sick from overloading on it in my younger days.  Strictly beer for me - preferably a good craft beer, but normally Grain Belt or Schell's if it's available.

1 hour ago, swamptiger said:

My brother-in-law is serious about his whiskey, and he usually drinks either Crown or Pendleton.  My wife has drank Windsor for years.  

Can't stand the stuff myself - probably got sick from overloading on it in my younger days.  Strictly beer for me - preferably a good craft beer, but normally Grain Belt or Schell's if it's available.

I'm a Grain Belt fan as well. With my diabetes I had to switch to Grain Belt Light many years ago and I think it is one of the best light beers I have ever tasted.

17 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I'm a Grain Belt fan as well. With my diabetes I had to switch to Grain Belt Light many years ago and I think it is one of the best light beers I have ever tasted.

Grain Belt is bottled by Schell's - either one works for me, although my preference is Schell's Deer Brand.  But it's not stocked in a lot of bars or package stores here in the north country.

6 hours ago, swamptiger said:

Grain Belt is bottled by Schell's - either one works for me, although my preference is Schell's Deer Brand.  But it's not stocked in a lot of bars or package stores here in the north country.

I like a lot of the new Shell's flavors that they have now but I got burnt out on regular Shell's back in college because I had 3 roommates that were all from New Ulm and they could buy returnable bottle cases really cheap. How ever many cases could stack in our apartment from floor to ceiling is how many we would go through each week.