• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

4 hours ago, delcecchi said:

This Pappy Winkle etc stuff is out of my league.   

That's out of almost everyone's league. I think even your friend Donald would have a hard time getting his tiny hands on a bottle of the 23 yr. old Pappy Van Winkle.

I enjoy Eagles Rare and Woodford when I want sipping Bourbon. If I am going to mix I will use Jim Beam and mix it up with Coke and never with anything diet. I also enjoy Maker's Mark, Basil Hayden's and Knob Creek. Just got a bottle of Booker's for Christmas but I have not opened so I can't comment on how good it is but I know its spendy.

I was at an estate sale a few months ago and found a Crown Royal gift set; purple box with two lowball glasses and the bottle of Crown in the purple bag. The bottle had the paper seal over the cap with a tax stamp (remember when bottles came that way?) and the seal was unbroken. The date on the seal was .... 1979.   Bought the whole works for 12 bucks. Now that is some smooth whiskey.

10 hours ago, gunner55 said:

A local watering hole where I spent some time behind the bar had a bottle of your scotch sitting around Wanderer. A few tried it & then it sat around getting dusty. I've tied a few different scotches & Laphroaig is quite different from most the others that I've had.Very very smokey/earthy. 

Definitely not for everyone.  But with every bottle you get claim to one square foot of ground on the Isle of Islay.  Once I own enough land to lay a sleeping bag on I'll go over and check on my investment. :grin:

37 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Bring a case of Western or Pfeiffer and you'll never, ever, have to share again!!   :lol:

We brought a case of Hackstein to a livestock show, put it in a "special" cooler a few years back and hid our normal supply. Even the beer zombies wouldn't touch it! ;)

Not a big whiskey guy but drink it sometimes when the mood strikes me. To me Scotch has always tasted like a postage stamp without the sweetness. Like my Crown & water when I'm too lazy to make a GT. Tincture (brandy) and cider works when I come in cold after chores at night. Works in the coffee sometimes in the morning too!  A little JD on the rocks once in a while will tickle my gizzard just right. Touring the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg TN was a "must see" when my brother lived in Nashville. Even though there were no free samples (it's a dry county) the vapors wafting off the vat when the tour guide opened and closed the lid numerous times are still etched in my melon.:)

3 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

My Dad used to drink J&B scotch. I tried it just once, and that was it. Just can't handle scotch or the bourbons.

I don't know much about Scotch but J&B is an entry level Scotch from one of the most mass produced brands there are. Unfortunately you get what you pay for in fine distilled spirits and some of the brands you have tried are probably not a fair representation of what a "good" Scotch or whiskey should taste like. 

Anyone who has never tried a quality bourbon drank "neat" or on the rocks and would like to try it without breaking the bank, I would suggest picking up a bottle of Jim Beam Black. This is one of the best lower-priced, gateway bourbons I have ever tried. 

Johnnies are blends and I will drink Red when mixing with water and want to have a few cocktails playing cards or sitting around the fire.  The single malt sipping scotch I buy the most is MacAllan 12.  Might have to try some of that Laphroaig as I like a smokey scotch now and then.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

Are you arguing that cheaper bourbon is better bourbon?:crazy:

Not at all.  I am arguing that more expensive bourbon is sometimes no better than cheaper bourbon.  After all, all it really takes to make expensive whiskey is a good story, a fancy label, and a high price.  

Fine whiskey is expensive. Expensive whiskey is sometimes not fine. 

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

There is a point to be made there, but I'd also say the way one drinks finer whiskey matters too.  One example: sip the right amount.  It's sipping, not swallowing.

Second example: use the right GLASS.  Don't try your buddy's garage bottle of Knob Creek out of the cups on the left.  Those are for the bottle on the right. 

IMG_1276.JPG

On 12/29/2016 at 8:14 PM, delcecchi said:

Are they guaranteed contiguous?

I'll get my land.

IMG_1273.JPG

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Not at all.  I am arguing that more expensive bourbon is sometimes no better than cheaper bourbon.  After all, all it really takes to make expensive whiskey is a good story, a fancy label, and a high price.  

That same statement can be said about anything and is basically irrelevant to the context of this discussion. For the most part paying a little bit more for better bourbon is going to yield better bourbon but of course tastes vary.

20 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

IMG_1276.JPG

I think that for the money, New Amsterdam is a decent Vodka for mixing and I also have a bottle in the cabinet right now.

My wonderful wife picked me up a bottle of Eagle Rare last night on her way home from work. I had a couple of fingers of that last night and man was it smooth.......and good! It's made by Buffalo Trace but this is much smoother and more complex flavors than regular Buffalo Trace.

I'm definitely having some more of it tonight!

I think next I want to try a wheated bourbon. Probably Maker's 46 or Weller 12 year.

eagle rare.jpg

Edited by Big Dave2
Added photo