• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

About the slightly sweetest, strangest tasting whiskey like drink you'll ever have, Can't believe I used to drink that and Pepsi. Gag just thinking about it...buddy used to drink that and Diet Tab, now THERE's something to make ya barf.

Personally I like the Crown Royal line.  I know Dave wasn't too impressed with it but it's my go to.  I've pretty much run through all the flavors (they really got on that bandwagon) and find that my preferred sipper is actually apple.  Before I tried apple it was definitely black.

I realize the flavored versions drink more like a liquer but I go with what I like, man card be dammed.  I even kinda like the vanilla that I got for Christmas.  The maple is my least favorite.

I can't mix the black though, it has to be OTR and maybe a little water.  I'm working on Reserve now and enjoy that too.

The most "complex" sipper I like is a scotch whiskey.  Single malt and very smokey/earthy.  Laphroaig 10 year.  I tried the 18 year once but it didn't have as much character.

Laphroaig - yah, there's some snobbish pride in being able to pronounce it, let alone spell it. :grin:

wikipedia had this info about original recipe....

In an episode of The Thirsty Traveler entitled "A River of Whiskey," spirits historian Chris Morris describes the original recipe of Southern Comfort. Heron began with good-quality bourbon and would add: "An inch of vanilla bean, about a quarter of a lemon, half of a cinnamon stick, four cloves, a few cherries, and an orange bit or two. He would let this soak for days. And right when he was ready to finish, he would add his sweetener: he liked to use honey."[8]

And this guy http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2013/04/what-is-southern-comfort-anyway.html

says the fruit is mostly apricot.   And there is sugar instead of honey. 

There are only 2 drinks that I just can't do and SoCo is right at the top of the list.  The other is vodka and Red Bull. 

To me SoCo tastes like the worst cough syrup ever conceived. I can't figure why anyone would drink it with the idea that its enjoyable. For me to drink it willingly I would have to be suffering from terminal cancer with SoCo being the only known cure, even then I'd probably ask for a second opinion.

A local watering hole where I spent some time behind the bar had a bottle of your scotch sitting around Wanderer. A few tried it & then it sat around getting dusty. I've tied a few different scotches & Laphroaig is quite different from most the others that I've had.Very very smokey/earthy. A good buddy was a avid Glenlivet consumer & I got to where I liked that on occasion. What about Jameson & some of the other irish varieties, not like the others being mentioned here IMO

Edited by gunner55

Woodford Reserve and Eagle are new to me.  And Templeton Rye is a rye.

And unless the cocktail lounger or bar or whatever you choose to call it is in a busy metropolitan area it probably won't have every brand of bourbon-impractical and too expensive.  Then too,   after the second glass it all tastes pretty much the same. Like vodka. Ha Ha!

Scotch is a whole different game and a person can get into some pretty lofty arguments about which single malt from which estate in Scotland is better than what cousin' Charlie makes behind the hen house.

And beer?.........very few beers worth a diddle any more:  most of them now are what my pals call Sissy Beers......they all taste like sweet fizzy swill. Only thing a glass lacks (most places) is a little pink parasol!

I'm out.

Yeah......VO is okay. Lord knows a few billion gallons of it have been poured. And there ARE worse blends around than reliable old VO.  Just not my bag,   but then we ALL have our favorites.

Speaking of SoCo take a teaspoon of it and dump it into a cheap, nondescript bourbon and try that over rocks-mellows things right out if  you are stuck at some out of the way place like Wabasha or Walker and can't get the good stuff.

Beer?  Try to find some Shiner Bock beer......made only in Shiner Texas.  Tastes like real beer, not some millennial milk toast swill but till not as nasty as some of the foreign beers.

Sorry, I don't have a discriminating enough palate, and I am too cheap, to drink that fancy craft whiskey.   I don't especially care for Canadian though.    Evan Williams is my mainstay.   Once in a while something more upscale.   Makers Mark  or something in that vicinity.   This Pappy Winkle etc stuff is out of my league.   

Hey!  I agree about Red Stripe beer.  It is excellent stuff. And don't worry Smurf old man,  nobody is mad at anybody for what they drink. A guys taste in booze is like his taste in women: some like redheads, some like blondes and some like any that have hair.

And who knew Jamaicans had a clue about how to brew beer?