• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bourbon and Whiskey

When buying fancy whiskey or whatever, be aware that many brands are just buying from the large former Seagrams distillery in Indiana and bottling it with fancy labels....  

See if it says "distilled and bottled by" or just some weasel words.   Templeton Rye is one that buys their booze. 

Just now, delcecchi said:

When buying fancy whiskey or whatever, be aware that many brands are just buying from the large former Seagrams distillery in Indiana and bottling it with fancy labels....  

See if it says "distilled and bottled by" or just some weasel words.   Templeton Rye is one that buys their booze. 

To my knowledge, Seagrams is a "blended" whiskey. I guess that's not what I'm in the market for.

I'm fairly new to drinking Bourbon or Whiskey "neat" or on the rocks but so far I've tried Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam Black. To be honest I liked the Jim Beam Black better than Buffalo Trace. I tried several kinds of Bourbon at a bourbon bar in Sioux Falls when I was there overnight for a trade show a year or 2 ago. I don't remember what it was I tried, I just let the bartender give me what he thought I might like but whatever I had I really liked most of it.

I'm considering trying Makers 46 from Maker's Mark, Eagle Rare which is a Buffalo Trace product or Larceny from the Heaven Hill Distillery next but I am open to suggestions.

I guess I have also had Jamison and Crown "neat" as well and they are doable but not great.

I guess I wasn't clear.  There is a very large distillery in Indiana that at one time was owned by Seagrams and made 7crowns.    Seagrams got out of the booze business and the distillery was sold a couple of times and is now called officially MGP ingredients.      They make a wide variety of spirits that are sold to other companies who bottle and sell them to consumers. 

Here is a recent article I just found that is quite interesting.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/high-spirits-blog/mgp-ingredients-lawrenceburg/

The original article that I saw might have been this one...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html

So, gotta read the label to see if the folks who bottled it also made it.  

10 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

To my knowledge, Seagrams is a "blended" whiskey. I guess that's not what I'm in the market for.

I'm fairly new to drinking Bourbon or Whiskey "neat" or on the rocks but so far I've tried Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam Black. To be honest I liked the Jim Beam Black better than Buffalo Trace. I tried several kinds of Bourbon at a bourbon bar in Sioux Falls when I was there overnight for a trade show a year or 2 ago. I don't remember what it was I tried, I just let the bartender give me what he thought I might like but whatever I had I really liked most of it.

I'm considering trying Makers 46 from Maker's Mark, Eagle Rare which is a Buffalo Trace product or Larceny from the Heaven Hill Distillery next but I am open to suggestions.

I guess I have also had Jamison and Crown "neat" as well and they are doable but not great.

Huh, I would have thought an Alabama fan would drink nothing but good 'ol Busch Light!!

Makers or Bulleit are my normal go to brands.  I do also consume a bit of Angel's Envy or Blantons (my personal favorite)!  There are a lot of great whiskeys out there.  The Two Stars from Total Wine (house brand) is fantastic for the price.  Also like Evan Williams single barrel.  Have fun, try different ones, and enjoy.

Tried Bulleit for the first time over Christmas - on the rocks.  I really enjoyed it.  I'm not really a bourbon connoisseur but I've always liked the taste and have recently started expanding my horizons beyond Jim Beam and Maker's Mark.  For mixing, I like Even Williams, because it's basically Beam but a lot cheaper.  But for drinking neat or on the rocks, Bulleit is my new favorite. Very smooth and a little sweeter than Beam or Makers. Woodford Reserve is also very good.

3 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I hate to break it to you but Boone's Farm is not a Whiskey or Bourbon. I know because I have drank lots of it.;)

:grin::cry: sorry............hard to break old camping habits!!!!!!

oterwise cant help ya as i dont drink hard liquor straight and i be a brandy guy when i dont have beer!!!!!!

3 hours ago, chasineyes said:

Huh, I would have thought an Alabama fan would drink nothing but good 'ol Busch Light!!

Ummmm, no.

For beer it's Grain Belt for me but a true southerner drinks straight Budweiser. I lived in Tennessee for a while also as a kid and nothing is smoother than Tennessee Whiskey.

2 hours ago, gunner55 said:

Mostly Beam regular here, through in some Evan Williams now & then. 

As a mixer or do you drink Beam straight? If you like Beam and want something smoother and more drinkable try Jim Beam Black. I think it is really good.

29 minutes ago, Opie said:

Makers or Bulleit are my normal go to brands.  I do also consume a bit of Angel's Envy or Blantons (my personal favorite)!  There are a lot of great whiskeys out there.  The Two Stars from Total Wine (house brand) is fantastic for the price.  Also like Evan Williams single barrel.  Have fun, try different ones, and enjoy.

Regular Maker's or Maker's 46?

Had to dust off a bottle of Beam Black a while back & most of that went down neat. Most of my Beam regular is done with water or on the rocks. Some Coke ,Dr. Pepper in there now & then. Had some Makers regular & liked that too. Like Opie said a lot of different ones out there & you don't know until you try it. Boones Farm brings back another name from the early years for me, Annie Green Springs, I think it was 

MMMmmm Listerine.   It goes to show that some folks will do almost anything to get high.   Vines that make you hallucinate and puke.   Shrooms that pass through the body so the bodily fluids of the previous partaker are consumed....

Ah the stuff you learn from William Burroughs.    Breakthrough in Grey Room. 

Personally I don't care what anybody drinks, but I gotta tell ya,  as the owner of a  cocktail bar for several years, and during which time I actually worked in there for fun and games, the people who drink whiskey (whisky) with Coke or soft drinks are what we used to call amateurs.  You guys have come up with some names I've never even heard of an I KNOW booze.

Sippin' whiskey (whisky) is just that: no soft drinks,   no soda, no grenadine or orange juice. Ha Ha Ha!

God!  There ain't a real whiskey drinker in the  bunch!!

*look up whiskey and whisky.....you'll be wiser.

12 minutes ago, Ufatz said:

You guys have come up with some names I've never even heard of an I KNOW booze.

What names were brought up that you never heard of?

Most of the names of Whiskey that have been brought up so far are all things I have heard of. Jim Beam Black, Maker's Mark, Maker's 46, Wild Turkey, Templeton Rye, Bulliet, Evan Williams, Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare are all common names among bourbon sippers.

If you owned a small town bar the chances are you might not have stocked any of these brands.

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

Yeah the snob scotch drinkers are picky about spelling.  

You're a scotch drinker?:D

15 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Yeah the snob scotch drinkers are picky about spelling.  

14 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

You're a scotch drinker?:D

11 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Nope.   I guess you never took a logic course.  

Logic is exactly how I reached the conclusion that I did.