• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big buddy vs portable buddy

Moon Lake Refuge

thermo couple went out on my sunflower, so figured I would upgrade rather than just fix it so I feel better when I take my kids out.  I have a 6x6 clam.  Top is insulated but walls aren't.  Should I be looking at the big buddy or the portable?  My brother has the big buddy and we never used high outside of getting to temp but his hub was fully insulated.  I also wouldn't mind fishing in 40-50 with my striker gear but my old man(who has the same gear) complains and gets cold easy so I want to make sure its not to chilly!

3 minutes ago, smurfy said:

my opinion.........get the big buddy and the hose to go to a propane tank!!!!!!! well worth the investment in my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

definitely getting the hose, just wasnt sure if I would need that much output.  The idea is that this is just for early and late season until we can get the shack out on the ice.

Little Buddy. The Big Buddy will almost cook a person out of a 6'x6', even on the lowest 9000 BTU setting. You'll be turning it on and off all the time, at least I was with an 8x8. 

On the other hand, a Little Buddy kept on continuously at the lowest 4000 BTU setting would be perfect. 

If if you want it to be tee-shirt weather inside your hub, then get a Big Buddy and hook it up to a 20lb propane tank. 

I guess thats not my experience.  Fishing with the big buddy on low was about perfect, and with my hub being uninsulated on the walls, I dont see 3800 BTUs keeping it very warm, and for 20 bucks more I could get the portable for 80ish?  Plus, definitely want to be able to connect the 20 pounder for less in propane costs

20 minutes ago, BassThumb. said:

On the other hand, a Little Buddy kept on continuously at the lowest 4000 BTU setting would be perfect. 

Did you mean the actual little buddy or the portable(smaller of the two large buddy's)?

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

I tried a hose from a 20# tank and it worked like dump. I did have a filter on it. Put the 1# tanks back on it worked normally. Would like to run it on a 20# tank. Is there too much pressure coming from a 20# tank? Do I need the hose with a regulator on it with a filter? 

Looked into it and with a 20# tank you dont need a regulator if you are using the regular connect but you should have a filter.  But is you are using the quick connect you do need a regulator on your line.  If you are using the regulator, no need for a filter as well.  Also, if you hook up to a 20# tank, you need to hold the pilot on and bleed your line for a minute or so to get the air out before it will light.  Did that and it fired right up without issue.  Went outside to try it in the wind.  Again started great.

I have a big buddy and two regular buddies. I had the filter and hose to 20# on the big buddy for years, worked fine. Buyt the FIRST time using it after connecting a new tank, or just connecting it, would be tough, as you have to get all the air bled out of the hose. Just takes a long time, do it in your garage before heading out. After that it works great.

I just put a quick connect on and you can push the little end to quickly purge the air out of the hose, then connect to the buddy. Works slick.

I put my older filter and hose on the regular buddy, as I always tow with sled or atv so weight inst an issue. I purged that hose (by just pressing in pilot for a LONG time and now that one is ready to go as well. If I was to just get one, it would be the big buddy with hose and 20# tank if pulling with sled/atv, or the regular if pulling by hand, and use the one pounders. 

Also it helps to have a long lighter with the first time you start it instead of using the igniter, it just works better and faster and heats the thermocouple faster which keeps the gas flowing.

Never tried bleeding the line out. I have the regular line with the filter. Figured as long as I had it on (half an hour) all the air would have come out. It lit, but would only work on low. Also do you need a 1# tank on the opposite side of the heater, when you have a hose hooked up to the other side?

9 hours ago, Eiger0304 said:

Never tried bleeding the line out. I have the regular line with the filter. Figured as long as I had it on (half an hour) all the air would have come out. It lit, but would only work on low. Also do you need a 1# tank on the opposite side of the heater, when you have a hose hooked up to the other side?

No second tank needed.  Mine works fine on both sides.  Purged the line for about 45 seconds and it fired right up.