Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

MCI

Propane auger

16 posts in this topic

Merry Christmas everyone.

So yesterday I tried starting my 25yr old Eskimo......no luck. After a little trouble shooting I found the carb is all gummed up again. I had carb work done to it twice in the 25yrs, the second time about 8yrs ago it got a new carb assm. It was a great auger and it doesn't owe me anything but I think it's time for an upgrade. 

I have decided to go the propane route, I like the idea of not having to deal with gas and carb issues. The videos I've seen on YouTube impress me.

I am wondering who on the forum has either the Jiffy 4 lite propane or the Eskimo HC40 propane and any dis likes for them?

Like I said, my Eskimo is 25yrs old and I liked that brand so I'm leaning towards the HC40 but I am open to comments on the Jiffy or propane augers in general. 

Thanks.

I would go with the  Eskimo propane or Ion electric.   If I ever get a new auger it will be one of those 2.  Not a big fan of Jiffy products.  Don't think you can go wrong with whatever you buy. 

Strikemaster Lithium Lazer. Pop 50 holes and the battery indicator still shows a full charge. $450 at Scheels. One of the best fishing tools I've ever used. 

I have jiffy propane auger going on  my third year with it. So far no issues runs great. The only things I can say bad about it are.  when you haul it you have to lay it a certain it  and I have a 10 inch so it's a little heavy.

Stay away from the  propane and go with an ion.  I never owned one but know three guys who had problems and got rid of them.  I do have an ion and its great.

like my nils , I have the ones that you can crank or put  a portable drill on 8"and4"

I'm on my 2nd year with my jiffy pro 4 lite and love it, never had a problem with it even while it's negitve 20 out, just have to give it a little throttle when starting. Augur cuts nice and is really easy to use, if it where me and I didn't go the propane route I'd try to find a good deal on the regular ion and not the new ion x.

I've got an HC40 and love it!  No problem drilling 10" holes with ease.  No gas, no choke, easiest motor I've ever started.  Literally a flick of the wrist and the motor is purring.  Reason I chose the Eskimo over the Jiffy is due to the compatibility of all the augers and parts.  Jiffy's spin the opposite way so you're stuck with Jiffy parts.  With Eskimo, your options are more open for replacement parts and you're even able to experiment with Lazer bits.  Plus, since you already have an older Eskimo I'd suggest you get a different size auger than what you already have.  Then you'd have the versatility to drill 8" or 10" holes.  Other reason I chose Eskimo is due to their claim that their HC40 motor is created just for propane, while the Jiffy motor is just a repurposed gas engine. 

PurpleFloyd likes this

I personally would never go electric. Too pricey when the batteries do die off. 

Unpacked the HC40 last night.  Assembled it, put oil in and hooked up a propane bottle; 4 pulls later it was purring like a kitten.

Mine is different than all the videos I watched on you tube, instead of a plastic on/off switch mine has a good old fashion brass ball valve at the pressure regulator.  I personally like this set up better than a switch, auger was running and when I shut the ball valve with in 5 seconds it slowly idled down and shut off.  Heading out at first light today to try it out as me and my son attempt to find some pan fish and pike.

PurpleFloyd likes this

Have used a PRO4 and HC40 side by side this winter and I like the Eskimo better.  Both fire right up and both cut great, but the Eskimo doesn't throw shavings out as much as the jiffy.  I'll be ditching my Clam Edge and picking up an HC40 sometime this winter.

PurpleFloyd likes this

Love my Nils too-Do not get the power point one though-also get the shorter shaft. 

Liquid gas baby-10x the energy per lb. as the best battery in the world. That battery has to be kept warm.

Carbs will go bad if you are not careful with gas but thats just at the start and end of the season.

Lots of great options out there-get something light(says the old guy) Good Luck

If you're young and strong go for it, they are heavy beasts. Whatever you do, never consider that the day of the electric is here, that makes way to much sense. 

6 hours ago, Hawg said:

If you're young and strong go for it, they are heavy beasts. Whatever you do, never consider that the day of the electric is here, that makes way to much sense. 

I wouldn't consider 8 pounds more being a "heavy beast."  Electrics certainly will have their place, I see them consistently gaining market share with the wheel house crowd.  Unless you were referring to the drill plates or k drills?