• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open water in the winter

HandGunner

Lakes freeze in the winter and I'm not an ice fisherman.  I know people will fish the Mississippi in Monticello by the power plant.  I never been their but are their other places I can open water fish in winter?  Only targeting carp and cats, certain areas of river that don't freeze.  I'm in the north metro area like Anoka.  Maybe Coon rapids Dam?  On a nice winter day it be nice to toss a line out with some corn sit back and relax.  Bring a small propane stove whip up something to eat and a hot beverage on the bank.  I need to get out and fish again, use to fish bass a lot but fell in love with cats and carp.  Just had a fishing itch now that hunting is done, plus have not fish in a year. 

Friday I was passing through Monticello and saw a boat with 2 people fishing just downstream of the 25 bridge.  Yes, the weather was wet, so I'd be surprised if they were out just for the heck of it.  But I was a little surprised since I have the impression it's fairly shallow water there.  Usually one thinks of deeper holes when river fishing in the winter.

The Coon Rapids dam should have plenty of open water.  I'd think the west side would be the better choice but I've never fished it in the winter, nor do I know how fishable that side is since the place has been so "modernized".  We used to fish it religiously when we were kids.  It had deeper, slower water.

I'd look the east side of the Anoka dam for the same reasons.  

A friend of mine fishes the confluence of the Rum and Miss just downstream from there.  That might be your better option.

Seems like a carp bite on corn would be a tough nut to crack in the winter either way. :confused: