• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Potage Noel

RebelSS

Anyone make it with leeks or the "old style one" with truffles? I have an old recipe from a 1963 Christmas book, using the truffles, but think it left out some ingredients...anyone have a recipe? I'm looking for the more onion type potage, not the veggie type...I expect Del most certainly will have one....;)

2 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Anyone make it with leeks or the "old style one" with truffles? I have an old recipe from a 1961 Christmas book, using the truffles, but think it left out some ingredients...anyone have a recipe? I'm looking for the more onion type potage, not the veggie type...I expect Del most certainly will have one....;)

OK, being always up for a challenge I googled "potage noel".   Turns out that is just "christmas soup" in french.   So looking at the translated versions of several french language sites isn't much help as they have all sorts of suggestions for soup to eat at Christmas.

I checked my copy of "mastering the art of french cooking 1 and 2" and nothing.   Gonna need some clues or background or something more to go on.    

Have chestnuts in it by any chance?

Edited by delcecchi

Nope, has a pic, and says "This creamy onion soup....."  talks about it again as a thick, hearty onion soup, but look at the ingredients...no onions or leeks...? I've wondered about this for many years...they must have left out something. You can see green things (leeks?) floating in it in the pic.. the recipe on the page is:

5 Tbsp butter

4 Tbsp flour

2 qts seasoned chicken broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 egg yolks

1 canned truffle, thinly sliced

3 Tbsp diced pimento

Heat butter and stir in flour; simmer; add broth and continue simmering for 1/2 hour until thick and smooth. Blend heavy cream with egg yolks; then add to soup, stirring constantly,then simmer for 5 mns. Garnish with truffle slices and pimento and serve.

Pics of it and the 1963 book it's in...there's three books in that Time-Life set. Fun to read these old volumes.....

DSC02921.JPG

DSC02920.JPG

DSC02922.JPG

I am too. Thanks anyway, Del. It's French anyway, that explains the problem....like the old saying, "The problem with France is that it's full of Frenchman". :lol:

Ya ever wanna get rid of any good books, lemme know, My place is overflowing with them. Love the classics. 

1 minute ago, RebelSS said:

Not gonna make that one....can't find a good recipe for it. I'm shocked, stymied, and flabbergasted Del can't either. I thought his soused up tool thingie had a built in digital Wikipedia....:grin:

Yes, if Del the HSO resident Wiki guy can't help your SOL! :(

5 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Not gonna make that one....can't find a good recipe for it. I'm shocked, stymied, and flabbergasted Del can't either. I thought his soused up tool thingie had a built in digital Wikipedia....:grin:

I would guess that the first section of recipe got cut off somehow.  There isn't a missing page in the book is there?   I could do some guessing, but who knows.

Edited by delcecchi