• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel House Security

YettiStyle

Unfortunately it appears that there is a growing trend of shack break-ins and thefts recently.  I decided I needed to protect my investment more than a removable tongue or ball lock.  I just got done purchasing a Spot Trace that I can hide inside and track my shack incase the worst case scenario happens (https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=128).  They are 50% off right now for only $50.  A year long subscription that you need is only $100/year which is very reasonable after researching other products.  It also includes a vibration detection system that will send you messages if it detects any motion (hopefully this is sensitive enough to trigger during a theft).  Just thought I would give everyone a heads up about the sale. 

On the flip side - What do you guys do to try and prevent smash and grabs?  The spot trace will hopefully keep me fairly insured against a total shack theft but I'm now more concerned about a smash and grab.  I keep hearing the same thing over and over about removing all the expensive gear, keep window blinds open, ect...  Only problem is that I have plenty of expensive gear already in my shack that I can't remove but a thief could easily remove like a wall mounted 50" TV.  I don't really want to leave the blinds open because any thief would instantly see the TV and probably decide that was enough to try and bust in. 

We custom made our frame, so our tongue has a separate bolt distance than any other trailer out there.  Dont store it on the ice like others but when left at the cabin or outside at home for long periods its just a matter of taking the tongue completely off and storing it in the garage.  Takes about a minute to have it off.  

I learned 16 years ago when we built our first wheel house...if you don't want it messed with, don't leave it on the lake.  Sooner or later something will happen if you leave it unattended; unfortunately thats the nature of the beast.

Couple years ago some kid(10-12) in town stole his dads truck and drove out to our lake and was ramming houses with it.  Knocked the corner of someones spear house into their hole.  Way to easy with a lot of houses now to just crank them up and take them home with you.

You really can't win with those permanent wheelhouses. Leave them on the ice, full of gear, and someone will pry their way in, doing more damage than what the gear is probably worth. Leave them unlocked and empty, and there's a very good chance someone uses it as a Port-a-Potty. It's a shame.

7 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Down here, some azzholes set two on fire, they burned up in a minute. Love to catch that in progress, I always enjoy dropping a few .40 cal rounds. ;)

Now now, nice fantasy but you know better than that.  Here in peoples republic of mn, your life has to be in danger and you have to be backed into a corner before that is justified...

Del, quit wrecking my fantasy. Yer just hypnotized, paralyzed, and mesmerized by the MAYO DMC pack of lies.....

LIke my poem?  :grin:

And I don't get backed into a corner. Last year, at night, at the do-it-yerself carwash, two unsavory guys came into my bay, asking for money, one from each side of me, moving me towards a corner. I spun and was out of it, while lifting my coat to pull the bad boy, if needed. They scooted. That told me my guess as to their intentions was right. Here in the Republic of MAYO, yet. Imagine that.

Whoops, back to the thread...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think the key is to have a removable hitch and visible door and window security. Most of these break-ins and thefts are crimes of opportunity. If your's looks harder to steal or get in to they will probably move on to the next shack that is less secure. 

A removable hitch or coupler lock along with a solid bar across the outside of the door and window bars should deter most would be criminals to at least move on to an easier target.

3 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Del, quit wrecking my fantasy. Yer just hypnotized, paralyzed, and mesmerized by the MAYO DMC pack of lies.....

And I don't get backed into a corner. Last year, at night, at the do-it-yerself carwash, two unsavory guys came into my bay, asking for money, one from each side of me, moving me towards a corner. I spun and was out of it, while lifting my coat to pull the bad boy, if needed. They scooted. That told me my guess as to their intentions was right. Here in the Republic of MAYO, yet. Imagine that.

Glad you were packing. Sounds like it might have got you out of a tight spot.

This is a topic that really chaps my ace.  We should all be able to leave our houses on the lake for the whole winter without ever having to worry.  I can't even begin to understand a person who would mess with someone's stuff.  

About 3 years ago I had 4 trail cameras stolen, all of them were in security boxes locked with a coupler lock, bolted to the tree with hardened lags, and a cable lock around the whole works.  They had to do some major work just to find them.  They were some of the cheapest trail cameras on the market, but I'll never forget the feeling I had when I saw they were gone.  

Reality with a wheel house is that if they want to get in, or just pick the whole dang thing up and take it, they will.  My houses are never left alone on the lake for more than a quick beer supply run, and even then I lock everything up including my generator.  The GPS tracking devices, removable hitches, coupler locks, blinking lights are all just minor deterrents.  It might make someone decide to move along, but the worst thing you can do is allow any of those to create a false sense of security.  Broken into fish houses are probably about #250 on the list of police department concerns, so you will get barely anything more than a report out of the deal.  

8 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I feel sorry for you fellas that were never taught how to fight with your fist ;)

14 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Nice rapping.  

There is a time and place for everything.  And regardless of my personal opinion, blasting away at some guy as he runs across the lake with your TV isn't it.   Too bad, eh?

Your buddies from the car wash aspiring rappers too?

8 hours ago, elkrivermn said:

I feel sorry for you fellas that were never taught how to fight with your fist ;)

Well, since I'm retired, (aka an "old dude")  handicapped, and spent 32 years in LE, and well trained in self defense and Aikido, I bet I put many guys down that were taught "how to fight with their fists". If this happened twenty years ago, they'd have been hurtin' units. Go figger.