• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flipping/pitching rod

river_rogue

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a few opinions here.  I recently picked up a new 13 concept A reel from tackle warehouse with the intent of putting together a new flipping/pitching rig.  What I would like an opinion on is a rod to go with it.  I would like to stay in budget around $100.   Any ideas/preferences.

You'll find it tough to get the same quality at $100 as if you spend a little more, but I have become a big fan of 13 Fishing rods - they seem to have worked out the bugs that earlier versions of the Omen had. You can probably find an Omen for close to $100 if you look around, and IMO they are very good rods for the money.

I agree with thatoneguy. My jig rod is a 7'1 Omen H and love it. Very good rod for $100. You also have the Dobyns Fury series which are around $110. I have the 7'3 H in that and its more like a MH. They do make a extra heavy which I think would be good for pitching and flipping. 

If you're near a Cabelas, check out the Tournament ZX Bass rods. I have the Jig/Worm rod and like it alot. They go for $100, but usually are on sale for 20% to 30% off several times a year. Very light and sensitive, but I may not know any better, as I'm usually a $50-$60 rod guy! It is a good step above those and I like the soft grip too. They have heavy actions models also.

Edited by RuddyDuck

I admit I'm a little new to pitching and flipping. Until recently, it's just not a technique I put enough time into in the past to have any success. My question, to someone with more experience than I is (and I know this can vary between manufacturers) do you think a heavy power rod has an advantage over a MH or is this overkill in Minnesota waters?

This past fall I discovered that the 7'4" Daiwa Zillion Heavy Swimbait rod works really well for pitching jigs with braided line in the reeds.  There has been a weekly auction for one of them at the Bay going back to at least July.  They have been going for anywhere between $110-$145 shipped.

If you are pitching in reeds, rice, or milfoil. Heavy gets the job done.    

On 12/21/2016 at 8:57 PM, river_rogue said:

I admit I'm a little new to pitching and flipping. Until recently, it's just not a technique I put enough time into in the past to have any success. My question, to someone with more experience than I is (and I know this can vary between manufacturers) do you think a heavy power rod has an advantage over a MH or is this overkill in Minnesota waters?

A MH should be plenty good for the majority of fishing around docks, weedlines, or weed patches and baits up to 1/2 oz. Heck I threw 3/4 oz jigs on a MH for half a season until I got myself a Heavy power rod but that MH performed fine under most conditions. I got a heavy power for fishing heavy jigs and rigs in thick or matted milfoil.  A 7' MH fast action rod is the most versatile bass rod you can have. With that said a MH by different manufacturers are not equal. I have mostly St. Croix rods which run stiffer. I also tried some Shimanos which ran softer, pay attention to this.

You mentioned flipping but do you actually intend to flip? If you will be mainly casting or pitching dont get tricked into getting a flipping rod. That would be overkill and probably less comfortable to fish with all day.

I use a MH rod pitching jigs into the thickest rice on Leech Lake and it has always provided plenty of power for me. Not to say that there aren't occasions when a H power rod would be the best tool to have in the kit, but MH is usually plenty and will be much more versatile.

I'll put in a vote for the Bass Pro bionic blade.( watch for sales. They had them for $60 couple of weeks ago) Think mine is a 7-6 H telescoping.

But the guys are right in are you going to be pitching or flipping,( does make a difference for rods) and what size  weights  you plan to use.