• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5.4 Triton engines

I have a 2004, I'm not a Ford vs Chevy guy, and all I can say is:

NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO 

NO NO NO NO NO 

NO.

Plug problems, cam phaser problems, engine sludge problems, knock problems, tick tick tick tick problems, problems problems problems.   

I have an 2008 Super Duty  Zero problems   The 5.4 has been a good engine   There is a problem with spark plugs, easy fix if they are not seized in the cyl head.   Call a Ford service manager and they will give you an honest opinion and if you give them the vin# they can tell if Ford has already changed the plugs.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, bobbymalone said:

I have a 2004, I'm not a Ford vs Chevy guy, and all I can say is:

NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO 

NO NO NO NO NO 

NO.

Plug problems, cam phaser problems, engine sludge problems, knock problems, tick tick tick tick problems, problems problems problems.   

I'll take that as a no, thanks for the info.

I had a 2000 Expedition with the 5.4 2 valve engine. Sold it at 175,000 a little bit ago. I replaced the plugs at 96000 as I bought it used and never had a plug problem. You can get upgraded plugs. Had to replace a couple COP'S, but Truck was good to me other wise.

You said 2003, that was a different engine than the 2004 5.4 3v(guess the limited build Heritage f150's for 2004 would of had the 2v). The 2v had plugs that loosened and in the 3v they were plugs that stuck in when replacing. Guess they over compensated. I also never had phaser or sludge issues.

Edited by RuddyDuck

I have a 2003 FX4 with 180,000+ on it. It is the 2 valve motor. I had to replace the motor about 14 months after I bought it because of a bad rebuild before I bought it, the oil pump went out and they drove it too long.  The line bore was out. There is no plug trouble with this motor. I have replaced the coil packs and installed new bulbs on it, that is it besides the motor.