• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your take on glow jigs?

RebelSS

Better luck with...or not? I've used them in the past, and hard to tell if they help or not. I know on cloudy days in some stained water, maybe. I never have noted a huge increase in bites over who may be fishing with me and not using them. Never tried them at night, though. My only advice...stick with a good name brand. The good ones have rare-earth phosphors that will give a much brighter, longer luminescence than the cheapie .99 ones. Bought some el cheapo's just to see, and it certainly is true. They fade fast. What you use to "charge" them up makes a difference too. I picked up an ultra-bright blue-white keychain light with the momentary button on it for around $3.99, and it seemed to work real well. Just couldn't see spending $12 for those "taser" lure lights like my buddy did...we didn't see a difference. I do know a UV light will charge better than anything, though. Haven't looked to see whats out there in the last two years; maybe they've improved and gotten cheaper.

Sometimes glow seems to make a difference but sometimes I feel it also turns them off.  The biggest difference I've noticed is with dead-sticks and rattle wheels at night.  I tested this out last year and 9 out of 10 fish would have been on the glow hooks on my rattle wheels at night.  I don't even mess with regular non-glow hooks on my rattle wheels now. 

57 minutes ago, YettiStyle said:

Sometimes glow seems to make a difference but sometimes I feel it also turns them off.  The biggest difference I've noticed is with dead-sticks and rattle wheels at night.  I tested this out last year and 9 out of 10 fish would have been on the glow hooks on my rattle wheels at night.  I don't even mess with regular non-glow hooks on my rattle wheels now. 

So how long do they actually glow ?  Can they last many hours on set lines at night ?  I know some brands to glow much longer but never really test them to see if they glow for many hours.

12 minutes ago, kudu63 said:

So how long do they actually glow ?  Can they last many hours on set lines at night ?  I know some brands to glow much longer but never really test them to see if they glow for many hours.

I rarely ever charge them more than what they get from ceiling lights when I check for meat or put a new minnow on.  Don't know if it's just the color or if a walleye's sensitive eyes can pick up the glow paint different than a normal hook?  Kind of like how birds can see the UV spectrum. 

I use glow 90% of the time. I still say Lindy Techni-Glo works the best. The commercial quality glow powders  are all pretty much the same, it's just a question of how much they use and if they know the proper clears to use over it so it works right. It's very expensive.

Edited by Hawg

I think they can sometimes work wonders for low-light crappies. I haven't seen much of a difference with sunnies. 

The longest-lasting glow paint I've seen is from Clam. It's too bad they cost so much though. Some of those $.99 hsolist tungsten ice jigs only glow for a few minutes. 

5 hours ago, carpshooterdeluxe said:

Venom inferno minnows or inferno spoons in green glow or blue glow, coupled with a Lightning Box will really change your mind on the quality and duration of glow from other companies. 

Thats pretty cool. I had never heard of the Lightning Box.