• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Empire DV210

Professional Edge

I have a 6.5 X 14 wheel house that is well insulated but I can't get it over 60 inside with the Empire 10k btu direct vent.  I think there is more heat going out of the exhaust then there is going into the house.  Am I missing something or is there something that would keep more heat inside?  

I would like to try anything before I settle on the heater being too small.  I have read other posts with bigger houses saying theirs heated perfectly.

Edited by Professional Edge

51 minutes ago, MNice said:

I think 10K is a little on the small side, but its hard to tell without knowing the exact build techniques. 

I agree it might be on the small side - did you test it this weekend when it was minus 25F ? 

I have a new 8x16 and they put in a 15K BTU Empire but put in an 18K orifice.  I haven't really tested it yet in cold weather to see how long it takes to warm it up.   Not sure if you can put in a larger one as well?   Some models you can add an fan to it which might help blow more hot air off of it.   I'm thinking about adding a fan to mine as well.

I  built a 6.5 X 12 wheel house couple years ago. Installed a 9k BTU direct vent convention furnace converted to forced air. It took about 40 min. to get the temp to 60 deg. and close to an hour to 72 deg. with outside temp at -17. When fishing I used  a Mr. Heater to get the temp up quicker than shut the Mr. Heater off when warmed.

This fall I increased the BTU to 12k and replaced the fan with a 4 speed auto fan. Sunday I tested outside temp at -6, inside temp at +4. Took 6 min. to get temp to 45 deg. and 13 min to 70 deg. running the fan at speed 3. When at 70 deg. set fan to speed 1 and furnace cycled on/off about every 6 to 8 min. maintaining 70 deg. At 9k  my heat exchanger skin ran at 236 deg. at 12k it runs at 367 deg. using a laser Infrared Thermometer. My WH is insulated to R13 in floor, walls and ceiling. Good fan and more BTU made a big difference.

Thank you for the responses.  I put it in last night and it was cold.  I have an ventless that really gets it hot inside but I would like to change it out to stop all the moisture.  I bought the empire direct vent at a good price so it didn't hurt trying it. Now it just have to sell it and get something bigger.