• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Stew

Looks very good. I do something similar with Walleye but never used the cream soup. But might have to try it. I used milk or half and half or cream and thickened it up at the end. I also like to add those small onions about the size of a dime. Usually find them in the frozen section. When they cook and get soft and absorb the liquid they explode in your mouth. That's if u like onions.

1 hour ago, Walleyehooker said:

Years ago my mom used to make my dad fish head soup which started out with a big northern head. Eyes and all.

I'm not opposed to cooking with whole fish, including heads, but MAN - You'd think the last fish you'd want to use the external parts of would be a slimer.  Some of the best flaky white fillets on the planet, but no part of that skin is touching what I eat!

I remember my buddy did skin-on northern fillets in a foil pack once on the campfire.  even after washing it thoroughly, the slime contaminated the meat, almost threw up.

40 minutes ago, ThunderLund78 said:

I'm not opposed to cooking with whole fish, including heads, but MAN - You'd think the last fish you'd want to use the external parts of would be a slimer.  Some of the best flaky white fillets on the planet, but no part of that skin is touching what I eat!

I remember my buddy did skin-on northern fillets in a foil pack once on the campfire.  even after washing it thoroughly, the slime contaminated the meat, almost threw up.

Now hold on there Thunder. l can't confirm this, because I've not yet tried it, but there was an article in the Minnesota Conservation Volunteer about people back in the day, that would laugh if you fillet the skin off a northern. They said that is where all the flavor is. 

5 hours ago, ThunderLund78 said:

Looks like a good winter meal to dedicate some ice fishing success to!  You had me at the second line of the recipe - anything that calls for more than 1 cup of butter is OK in my book.

oops !! typo....  lol  1 cup water, 3T butter

29 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Like yer smurfberry pop tarts? :grin:

Oyster stew is better the next day...and my chili! 

smurfberry pop tart, that's a new one!  But I agree that certain foods taste better the next day!!

Like the way your Crappie stew looked and easy to make so I figured I would tweek it a bit and try to turn it into wild rice soup. Only changed a couple things. Used 50/50 cream of celery and cream of chicken and used chicken broth instead of water and wild rice instead of fish. Got it cooking in the crock pot and looks pretty good so far.

IMG_1304.JPG