Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

KEN W

Making sausage

24 posts in this topic

Made a bunch different kinds of sausage yesterday. 50 % venison and 50% pork.  All seasonings from PS Seasoning.

Bacon Ranch Brats......grand kids liked this one the best.Especially dipped in Peppercorn Ranch dressing

Sassy Honey BBQ Brats.......dipped in BBQ sauce

Beer Brats with cheese

German seasoning

Country seasoning with cheese

sausage.jpg

Mike89, eyeguy 54, leech~~ and 1 other like this

I am not familiar with PS seasonings, I assume you really like them? What's your favorite seasoning from them?

PS Seasonings is out of Wisconsin. They have by far the most seasonings of any sausage making  company. They have 48 brat seasonings alone. Some with or w/o MSG.You will see the same seasonings from almost all sausage making companies. That's because they are all made by Excalibur Seasonings. They buy them in bulk and then package them to sell. Most are packaged with enough to season 25 lbs of meat. But PS also has packages to make 12 1/2 pounds of meat. So you can try the smaller amount and if you don't like it you can throw it away w/o paying for the large amount. If you like it......buy the larger amount the next time.

They also have a chart on their web page that tells you how much seasoning to use to mix with 1 pound of meat. This way you can make as many pounds as you want. I used 5 of their seasonings and made 3 pounds of each. This gives me variety and not having to eat the same thing all the time. That way I'm making a fresh batch every couple of months with fresh pork. If I made 25 lbs of each, I would have 125 lbs sitting in my freezer for months getting old.

I have tried a bunch of their seasonings. My family likes......Bacon Ranch Brats, BBQ Brats,German, Polish, Bologna, Country. Also Summer Sausage, Buffalo sticks and Pepperoni sticks. The cooking sausage I use venison/pork mix. The summer sausage and sticks I use venison or goose mixed with beef. Beef makes a much firmer sausage.

I also have been using powdered smoke the past year or so. It comes from Hi Mountain. Easy to use. 1 tsp per pound of meat. It makes your sausage taste the same every time. Great consistancy. You don't have to guess with your smoker. To much smoke/not enough smoke. Also at this time of year I can make it in the oven instead of outside in the cold. I still use the smoker the rest of the year.....just no smoke.

Edited by KEN W
leech~~, Grainbelt and PurpleFloyd like this

I'm definitely going to check out PS - but Powdered Smoke?  What fun is that!?!?! :lol:

Not fun standing outside this past weekend. And I have an electric smoker that will not work when it's below zero. I have had to bring it inside to warm up. A pain.Plus why guess how much smoke to put on when you don't have to? Got tired of not having enough or to much smoke. I could live with not enough. But to much smoke makes it bitter. Plus my wife can't take to much smoke. She would refuse to eat it. Most commercial sausage is made with liquid or powdered smoke. Easy.

I am considering making smoked eggs by soaking the eggs in water and liquid smoke.   Any suggestions as to how long and how strong?  

test time. try a couple tsp liquid smoke in a cup of water and soak a couple for an hour and let us know. i see some recipes online that use some soy sauce also. 

58 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

perv

Ikr, I really don't want to see those. :lol:

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Ikr, I really don't want to see those. :lol:

I don't care WHO or WHAT he's in the bath with, I don't wanna see 'em either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leech~~ likes this

They are melding in the refrigerator.   I'll report tomorrow.  

They do look about like they would look if done with actual smoke so I have high hope...

Edited by delcecchi
leech~~, eyeguy 54 and Mike89 like this

Ahh, disappointment.  Thy name is fake smoked eggs.   Very little smoke flavor.   I guess I was over cautious on the smoke and soy.   Oh well, they still were good hard boiled eggs.   Less water more smoke next time. 

And maybe a little salt also.  

Edited by delcecchi

24 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Ahh, disappointment.  Thy name is fake smoked eggs.   Very little smoke flavor.   I guess I was over cautious on the smoke and soy.   Oh well, they still were good hard boiled eggs.   Less water more smoke next time.

And maybe a little salt also. 

Less bath water may be? :lol:

Yep. Less water more smoke.   And some salt.        

I was a little worried about them being too smoky.   Turned out to not be a problem.

Edited by delcecchi