• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making sausage

KEN W

Made a bunch different kinds of sausage yesterday. 50 % venison and 50% pork.  All seasonings from PS Seasoning.

Bacon Ranch Brats......grand kids liked this one the best.Especially dipped in Peppercorn Ranch dressing

Sassy Honey BBQ Brats.......dipped in BBQ sauce

Beer Brats with cheese

German seasoning

Country seasoning with cheese

sausage.jpg

PS Seasonings is out of Wisconsin. They have by far the most seasonings of any sausage making  company. They have 48 brat seasonings alone. Some with or w/o MSG.You will see the same seasonings from almost all sausage making companies. That's because they are all made by Excalibur Seasonings. They buy them in bulk and then package them to sell. Most are packaged with enough to season 25 lbs of meat. But PS also has packages to make 12 1/2 pounds of meat. So you can try the smaller amount and if you don't like it you can throw it away w/o paying for the large amount. If you like it......buy the larger amount the next time.

They also have a chart on their web page that tells you how much seasoning to use to mix with 1 pound of meat. This way you can make as many pounds as you want. I used 5 of their seasonings and made 3 pounds of each. This gives me variety and not having to eat the same thing all the time. That way I'm making a fresh batch every couple of months with fresh pork. If I made 25 lbs of each, I would have 125 lbs sitting in my freezer for months getting old.

I have tried a bunch of their seasonings. My family likes......Bacon Ranch Brats, BBQ Brats,German, Polish, Bologna, Country. Also Summer Sausage, Buffalo sticks and Pepperoni sticks. The cooking sausage I use venison/pork mix. The summer sausage and sticks I use venison or goose mixed with beef. Beef makes a much firmer sausage.

I also have been using powdered smoke the past year or so. It comes from Hi Mountain. Easy to use. 1 tsp per pound of meat. It makes your sausage taste the same every time. Great consistancy. You don't have to guess with your smoker. To much smoke/not enough smoke. Also at this time of year I can make it in the oven instead of outside in the cold. I still use the smoker the rest of the year.....just no smoke.

Edited by KEN W

Not fun standing outside this past weekend. And I have an electric smoker that will not work when it's below zero. I have had to bring it inside to warm up. A pain.Plus why guess how much smoke to put on when you don't have to? Got tired of not having enough or to much smoke. I could live with not enough. But to much smoke makes it bitter. Plus my wife can't take to much smoke. She would refuse to eat it. Most commercial sausage is made with liquid or powdered smoke. Easy.

Ahh, disappointment.  Thy name is fake smoked eggs.   Very little smoke flavor.   I guess I was over cautious on the smoke and soy.   Oh well, they still were good hard boiled eggs.   Less water more smoke next time. 

And maybe a little salt also.  

Edited by delcecchi

24 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Ahh, disappointment.  Thy name is fake smoked eggs.   Very little smoke flavor.   I guess I was over cautious on the smoke and soy.   Oh well, they still were good hard boiled eggs.   Less water more smoke next time.

And maybe a little salt also. 

Less bath water may be? :lol: