• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cwd in se MN

Now come on guys, I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason for placing a 30 yard dumpster of potentially CWD infected deer on a pile within the city limits of Rochester.  Afterall, this is the MN DNR.  They are so smart we'll never be able to comprehend their tactics. 

I just noticed a followup story

http://www.kaaltv.com/news/minnesota-department-natural-resources-deer-carcasses-rochester/4362216/?cat=10151

Hunters Angry Over DNR Deer Dumping in Rochester

January 04, 2017 07:13 PM

(ABC 6 NEWS) – The Minnesota DNR says it’s reviewing its protocols after ABC 6 News contacted them about deer being dumped near a public trail.

On December 30, Michael Wondrow was pheasant hunting on Gordon Yeager State Wildlife Management Area, an area that is open to public hunting.

Wondrow says during his hunt he stumbled upon dozens of deer carcasses near a trail in the Wildlife Management Area.

"I thought it was a pheasant hunt and it turned into a horror movie, a bunch of deer sitting there," said Wondrow.

Wondrow says he immediately called the DNR but says he never heard back. He then reached out to ABC 6 News for some answers.

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Communications Director Chris Niskanen says the DNR has been disposing deer at this particular site for a "number of years that are not fit for human consumption."

“At one point this area was remote. It was a spot where we would routinely dispose of carcasses for a number of years,” said Niskanen. “We typically place them in a remote area in order to let nature take its course.”

According to the DNR’s 2016 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulation Handbook, hunters who process their own deer may not dispose of carcasses on public land including wildlife management areas.

ABC 6 News asked the DNR why their officers could use Wildlife Management Areas to dispose deer carcasses.

“State statute prohibits the public from dumping trash, sludge, rocks, vehicles and carcasses (all kinds, including cattle) on wildlife management areas (note: hunters can legally field-dress animals and leave the offal on state lands),” said Niskanen in an email.

“However, the DNR is responsible under state statute to manage wildlife (dead or alive) on state lands and Wildlife Management Areas, and we find it necessary to use discreet and remote areas to allow confiscated deer carcasses that are unfit for human consumption to decompose naturally. Also, most road authorities have sites like this on their own property where road-killed animals are placed to decompose. We acknowledge the unfortunate circumstances of this situation, and we are making corrections. We are also reviewing other sites to ensure they are remote and not visible to the public,” added Niskanen.

The DNR is currently in the process of testing for Chronic Wasting Disease. Niskanen says some of the deer heads found in the waste site were tested for the disease.

“There were some deer heads that were there that were part of our CWD protocol. In this case the protocol for disposing of those heads in the landfill was not followed in a couple cases here and some of the heads were left at this disposal site. We’re not going to let that happen anymore. We are revisiting all of our protocols for disposing of those heads. Those heads shouldn’t have been there.”

Brook Johnson is the president of a nonprofit called Minnesota Bow Hunters Inc. He says he’s been following the recent developments of CWD found in Fillmore County.

“To find out that they’re responsible for that, and they’re the ones who are spending all the money on this disease, it’s inexcusable,” said Johnson.

According to the DNR the deer in the pile tested negative for CWD.

“As for where the deer came from, it’s safe to say they were primarily from the Rochester area.,” said Niskanen in an email.

While the DNR admits the tested deer heads shouldn’t have been in the pile, the response from some hunters remains the same.

“I think there should be some kind of internal investigation to find out how cans this possibly happen with the agency tasked to protect the public resource to engage in this kind of reckless behavior,” added Johnson.

It will be interesting to see how they try to spin this as a good idea. They will probably try to ignore it for as long as possible by claiming they are still "Reviewing " their procedures. Bet they have a couple closed door meeting over this deal.

On another note: They really need to look at these deer farms as well. While there are some very responsible run farms, the morons raising large bucks to ship around the country for the rich boys to shoot have proven themselves to be some of the lowest evolved humans ever. They will do whatever it takes to raise and cash in on the big "Bucks". They transport across state lines without permits, break quarantines, lose animals to poor containment, and thumb their noses at wildlife officials because they think their special. IMHO- They will kill our sport if left to their own devises. Regulations mean nothing to them.

Channel 6 here interviewed the DNR yesterday, and it was stated that some of the deer were suspected CWD carriers, and some in the pile had been suspect and tested for it. One question was why they didn't follow any protocol and allowed it to happen", ABC said the DNR went silent at that point and offered no reply......

Buncha stupid knobs. :mad:

http://www.kaaltv.com/news/minnesota-department-natural-resources-deer-carcasses-rochester/4362216/?cat=10151

3 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Channel 6 here interviewed the DNR yesterday, and it was stated that some of the deer were suspected CWD carriers, and some in the pile had been suspect and tested for it. One question was why they didn't follow any protocol and allowed it to happen", ABC said the DNR went silent at that point and offered no reply......

Buncha stupid knobs. :mad:

If that's the case..........heads need to roll.

Stay tuned.........cover-up in process!

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

If that's the case..........heads need to roll.

Stay tuned.........cover-up in process!

Agree 100% !!  I'd like to offer my tried and true one-just-like-silly-me-kicking services........anyone else wanna join me? Sign up HERE!! :)

Look in the pics...you can see deer's skull caps sawed off, and the brains missing. Are they gonna say....

resized_ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-i-m-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens-1824f9.jpg

I heard back from Karsen.  

Not sure if he is up to holding the dnr feet to fire.

On Jan 4, 2017 11:20 PM, "Forsman, Karsen" <[email protected]> wrote:

Del,

Thanks for watching and thanks for the email. It's nice to get feedback! I did a story on this topic yesterday as well, Wednesday's story was a follow up. 

Heres the link, it could help answer some of your questions. I'd encourage you to watch the video and also read the article version.

http://www.kaaltv.com/news/rochester-hunter-dear-carcasses-gordon-yeager-state-wildlife-management-area/4361155/?cat=10151

***As far as your questions, let me try to answer them.***

--Where did the deer come from and how did the DNR end up with them?    

According to the MN DNR, the deer were seized from illegal hunting. Normally deer that's seized from illegal hunting, the carcasses go to families in need who want the meat, however because of the warm deer season, the meat spoiled and they weren't fit for human consumption. So, according to the DNR, the best way for the carcass to decompose was to let nature take its course. 

--What landfill are they talking about? I was unaware of any such landfill near Rochester.  

According to the DNR, there is a landfill nearby Gordon Yeager where they take the deer that need to be processed there.

--Did any of the deer dumped there, besides the heads come from areas with CWD?   

According to the DNR, "As for where the deer came from, it's safe to say they were primarily from the Rochester area.," (Found in most recent story that aired on Wednesday) Here's that link:

http://www.KAALtv.com/news/minnesota-department-natural-resources-deer-carcasses-rochester/4362216/?cat=10151

--How come no one ever noticed dozens of rotting deer carcasses on the edge of Rochester before if they have been doing this for years?   

According to the hunter who reached out to us and made us aware of the deer carcasses -- he's been hunting the state land for 20 years and has never seen deer carcasses in this spot. However, the DNR says they've been dumping deer in this spot for a 'number of years.'

--Is dumping carcasses in the woods even allowed in Minnesota?   

Hunters are not allowed to dispose deer carcasses on Wildlife Management Area's. As far as the DNR, this is state owned land and they have been dropping these deer off in this remote location at Gordon Yeager for a 'number of years.'

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Let me know if I can assist you in any other questions.

Thanks Del,

Karsen 

Way to go Del!!!    It's still DUMPING, and it's still ILLEGAL. Screw their word-play psychobabble; they sound just like MAYO. That woulda been like me telling a guy I just gave an open bottle ticket to that "I can drink in my squad, because it's a Police vehicle". Twist the rules via wordplay to meet the circumstances. Someone needs to get whacked good, all the way up the chain, and that two tons of rotting meat need to be cleaned up, out of THEIR payroll. Put some on No Pay status. I'd love to get in THERE and clean house.

I also wrote to a guy at the PB suggesting he cover the story. 

The rest of you guys could write to the PB and KAAL with your own personal opinion.     If they hear from a bunch of doofs, maybe they will pay more attention.  

My guess is that it is normally a couple of deer and this year it was a whole bunch. 

If they have been doing it for a long time, it should be like the valley of dry bones, the elephant graveyard.  Piles of bones.  Someone speak with forked tongue.

Edited by delcecchi

The PB??! A MAYO fraternizing, literary spewing mini-paper?! NOT!  Might as well talk to KTTC, home of dopes, diversity, and nothing else. Stumblebums.

KAAL..I've already sent one to some trusted folk there.  Starting looking for those doofs you were talking about, Del. And beware, you may find a pile of deer in yer backyard from those "doofs". ;)

And you can't be "guessing" what it was this year...you sound like the DNR. Get dialed in, Delmont!

Dead deer are piling up! It may be a hidden epidemic! Kill the deer; get their food!, chanted the rabbits, as they cavorted in the moonlight....

Pile of deer?  Mmmmm Sausage.;)

I wrote.  beyond that is out of my control.   Hows that go from Alices Restaurant?  

You know, if
one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
they may think they're both f****s and they won't take either of them.
And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said
fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and
walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

Way to go Del!!!    It's still DUMPING, and it's still ILLEGAL. Screw their word-play psychobabble; they sound just like MAYO. That woulda been like me telling a guy I just gave an open bottle ticket to that "I can drink in my squad, because it's a Police vehicle". Twist the rules via wordplay to meet the circumstances. Someone needs to get whacked good, all the way up the chain, and that two tons of rotting meat need to be cleaned up, out of THEIR payroll. Put some on No Pay status. I'd love to get in THERE and clean house.

Without a public uproar, nothing will happen.   So start roaring, folks.   Contact your councilpersons, city and county.  Your state reps.   write letters to the editor.   email reporters.   Call marky mark. 

Meeting at Del's house!  Venison provided. :grin: 

I'd suggest hit the TV stations and DNR page, city council azze's don't give a hoot...not here, anyway, unless it concerns MAYO. E-mail  state reps. Picket the DNR office with antlers on.

Everything needs an abbreviation and buzz phrase nowadays; put DDM on the signs and march. Dead Deer Matter.

Maybe I missed it but did they test every one of those heads for CWD? If no then why not? If they are really concerned about testing as many deer as possible for the presence of CWD then those deer that were poached etc would provide as good of data as anything else. Then, none of them should be disposed of there but rather sent to a rendering plant.

But heck, a pile like that should be an epic location to set up for shooting a few Yotes.

28 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Nope, they didn't.....why? Who knows.....:eek:

That is the thing that blows the cover off the whole CWD issue. 

If they are that concerned with the possibility of deer having CWD and preventing the spread in that area then

A) they should test every deer they come in contact with including road kill and poached.

B) they should never leave remains that have not been checked for CWD laying in a highly concentrated area where it's possible for free roaming deer to come in contact with the remains now or the ground that could be contaminated later after they are decomposed. 

This is just wrong no matter which direction you look at it from. 

In fairness to the DNR, these deer were dumped before they knew about the cases in SE MN.  

Secondly, I wonder if they normally only have a couple deer to get rid of, since allegedly they normally give the meat to food shelves or other programs.  

That said, dumping all those in one place was really dumb and shouldn't have been done.  

As for testing, until CWD was detected in the region I don't know how much testing was being done.  Certainly not every deer harvested was tested, I don't think.   I wonder what the test costs?

Edited by delcecchi

47 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

In fairness to the DNR, these deer were dumped before they knew about the cases in SE MN.  

Secondly, I wonder if they normally only have a couple deer to get rid of, since allegedly they normally give the meat to food shelves or other programs.  

That said, dumping all those in one place was really dumb and shouldn't have been done.  

As for testing, until CWD was detected in the region I don't know how much testing was being done.  Certainly not every deer harvested was tested, I don't think.   I wonder what the test costs?

I'm sorry but our Department of all outdoor Holy-ness should never-ever be dumping anything but live relocated animals in our Wild life areas. What's against the law for us should be for them as well. But, most of all it's a disgusting way to handle these animals. :angry:

I just wish some Vegan, tree hugging, PETA, hiker would have found them. Then all Holy he!! would have broke loose more then it is now! ;)

Edited by leech~~

"The "discovery" of a site where the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has been dumping deer carcasses for years has prompted a public outcry — and an admission from the DNR that in this case its protocols were not being followed."

This is very interesting indeed. So, they have been dumping Deer there "for years". But, in "this case" protocols were not followed.

So, in other words. "Dam Virgil, you know we don't dump the Deer until after Pheasant Season is over"

:whistle::whistle::whistle:;)

Edited by leech~~