• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cwd in se MN

A couple articles from the Rochester Post Bulletin....

DNR sets rules for CWD hunt

Updated Dec 15, 2016

(0)

The Minnesota Department of Natural resources has released details regarding the special deer hunt to take place in the chronic wasting disease zone where two bucks tested positive for CWD earlier this fall.

The hunt will run from Dec. 31 through Jan. 15 in what is now called Deer Permit Area 603. The detailed map of the zone is available on the DNR web site.

The rules

• No trespassing. The majority of this deer permit area is private land. Hunting access is with permission from the landowner only. Do not presume that just because a hunt has been authorized, there is access for hunters.

• Hunters should also recognize that the limited public lands may be crowded.

• Each deer harvested must be presented at one of the five registration stations within 24 hours of

harvest. CWD testing is mandatory for all deer 1.5 years of age or older. This includes deer that a

person may consider mounting.

• Fawns will not be tested; however, they must be presented for registration.

• Each deer needs a special carcass tag that will be issued by DNR. This includes fawns.

• Carcasses that are sampled cannot leave the CWD Management Zone until a negative test result

is received; this may take up to 4 business days from date of sampling (weather dependent).

• Results can be checked on the DNR page at www.mndnr.gov/cwd or by calling the DNR

Information Center at 888-646-6367.

Who can hunt, license requirements

• Either-sex, no bag limit, cross-tagging allowed.

• The hunt is open to both residents and non-residents.

• The antler-point restriction regulation is not in place.

• Any unfilled firearm or muzzleloader license or bonus permit from the 2016 season is valid. Any firearm that is currently legal in Zone 3 may be used.

• Archers can participate, but they must use archery equipment. You can't shoot a deer with

a gun and tag it with an archery license.

• Disease management permits ($2.50) are available and are valid for either a buck or doe. These are available to residents and non-residents and you do not need a previous license. The $2.50 covers the cost of issuing the permit.

Park hunt?

• Forestville State Park is open to deer hunting during the entire season with no special permit

required. Hunters must possess a valid State Park pass for entry and comply with all other park

regulations.

If you shoot a deer

• DNR officials will be available at 5 registration locations between 8 a.m and 6 p.m. daily during the season. A DNR official needs to see each deer to take a sample and attach a carcass movement tag. All deer must be presented for registration and a CWD sample will be

collected on all deer 1.5 years of age or older.

• Stations are located at:

• Chatfield - Magnum Sports, 20 Main St. South

• Harmony - Oak Meadow Meats, 50 9th St

• Lanesboro - Lanesboro Fisheries office, 23785 Grosbeak Road

• Preston - Preston Forestry office, 912 Houston St

• Wykoff - Goodies & Gas, 104 E. Front St

If you shoot a trophy

• Bring it to a registration station first.

• Call M&M Taxidermy at 507-696-8588 to make arrangements to cape your deer and remove

the sample. M&M is the only taxidermist authorized to perform this service. You will be

responsible for any charges incurred for caping your deer.

• You can cape the deer yourself as an option; however, the deer needs to be presented to a

DNR official for sampling and must remain in the CWD management zone.

Waiting for results

• Whole carcasses of sampled deer are required to stay inside the CWD zone until there is a negative test result. Boned-out meat, quarters with bone in it, and antlers without any brain material may leave the zone immediately; however, the remaining carcass, including the head and spinal

column, must remain inside DPA 603 until a negative CWD test results is received.

• Fawns must be registered and they will receive a carcass movement tag so they can leave the

CWD management zone immediately.

• Check your test results on the DNR page at www.mndnr.gov/cwd using either your MNDNR

number (no dashes) or your carcass movement tag number.

Carcass holding and disposal options

• For hunters without a location to hold their carcass within the zone while awaiting test results, a

refrigerated trailer is available at the Preston Forestry office. Please register your deer at this

location and we can hold the carcass until the results come back.

• To assist with carcass disposal, a dumpster will also be available at the Preston Forestry Office. Hunters can legally dispose of the carcass remains, head, and hide at this location.

• If you do not wish to keep a deer you harvest, we have a list of people who will accept the

animal. Please register the deer at the Preston office.

If the test is positive?

If you harvest a deer that tests positive for CWD, you will be contacted by a DNR official immediately and asked about the location of the carcass remains (e.g. head, spinal column). If possible, the carcass remains will be picked up for disposal at the University of Minnesota's alkaline digester. It will be the hunter's choice to keep meat from this animal or provide it to the DNR for proper disposal.

---------------------------------------

Hundreds crowd gym in Preston to hear DNR's deer details

Brian Todd, [email protected]

Updated 10 hrs ago

(6)

PRESTON — About 800 people crammed into the Fillmore Central High School gym Thursday to hear details from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources on the special deer hunt planned to deal with chronic wasting disease.

Two deer shot near Preston in November were found to be infected with CWD, an always-fatal neurological disorder that is similar to mad-cow disease but isn't known to affect humans.

Robert Lawstuen, who lives about four miles north of Preston, said he attende the meeting to get more details on the DNR's plans for the hunt, which will run from Dec. 31 to Jan. 15. "If it'll help, good," he said of the DNR's plans. "If it's not going to do anything, it's a waste of time. We don't know that yet."

The goal for the special deer hunt is to harvest enough animals to sample and test 900 adult deer, aged one-and-a-half years old and older, said Lou Cornicelli, a DNR wildlife research manager. That, he said, will likely affect the local deer population. "There will likely be a 20 to 25 percent reduction in the deer population," he said.

The exact impact will not be known until after the aerial survey, which started Tuesday and should be completed by Saturday, is finished, Cornicelli said. At that point, the DNR will have a better idea of the deer population in the newly designated Deer Permit Area 603, which covers 370 square miles through most of Fillmore County and a small sliver of Olmsted County.

The DNR plans were made in response to a pair of deer -- shot by different hunters on separate weekends -- that were found to have CWD.

"We hope that we're on the front end of the infection," said Michelle Carstensen, with the DNR. "We want to act fact and be aggressive moving on this." By being proactive, she said, the DNR hopes to reduce the transmission risk for deer and manage any potential outbreak.

Minnesota has had three recorded cases of CWD. The last case in the wild in the region was in Pine Island in 2010, she said. In the Pine Island case, about 5,000 deer were tested over a three-year period in a 300-square-mile area. Only the original doe ever tested positive for CWD, she said.

The 900 deer to be tested through the upcoming special hunt will give the DNR a chance to do another assessment and gauge the prevalence of CWD. "If we get through this 900 and it's zero, it doesn't mean we'll do 900 again next year," Carstensen said. "In fact, I would say why would we bother. We just let the hunters themselves remove deer and continue monitoring."

Still, any time there is a health issue with deer, said Denis Quarberg, president of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association, it is going to affect deer hunters. "The plan is to take 900 adult deer out of here," he said. "That's going to increase the amount of take, which is going to end up taking more deer off the landscape and stop some of the recreational hunting that goes on in the area."

With fewer deer, landowners who sell deer leases on their land will be affected as well, he said. That can be seen in Colorado and Wyoming, where CWD was first found and has reduced the deer density to extremely low numbers, Quarberg said. "How many hunters are you going to have going out for nine days and not seeing a deer," he said. "Because that is the very potential of what is there."

Cornicelli repeated Carstensen's call that eliminating CWD from Southeast Minnesota would require aggressive and swift action. "This is not a department problem, this is an all-of-us problem," he said. "We have to work together to do this."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.startribune.com/third-infected-deer-discovered-in-minnesota-s-cwd-outbreak/408441815/

Third infected deer discovered in Minnesota's CWD outbreak

A third deer infected with chronic wasting disease (CWD) has been discovered in southeastern Minnesota, but the discovery was made within a known infected area and won’t change the boundaries of a special hunt, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) said Tuesday.

The special hunt in Fillmore County begins Saturday with the goal of thinning the local whitetail population to reduce the risk of CWD spreading among deer.

The DNR said a hunter killed the infected deer in mid-November about 5 miles north of the two previously reported infected deer, which were killed about 4 miles west of Lanesboro. A taxidermist provided the DNR with a sample for testing, which led to the discovery.

12 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

http://www.startribune.com/third-infected-deer-discovered-in-minnesota-s-cwd-outbreak/408441815/

Third infected deer discovered in Minnesota's CWD outbreak

Geez three now. They may as well start wiping out the whole bottom if the state now! :whistle:

There are a bunch of deer farms in SE Minnesota and one or more in that area.   But they can't test the deer without killing them, so until they start to show symptoms we don't know.   

What's with deer farms anyway?  What do they do with the deer?  Let rich "sportsmen" shoot them? 

There IS a market for domestic venison. That would explain the reason they are located near MSP and Chicago, Milwaukee etc. but I have no personal knowledge of that.

CWD is usually spread by direct contact although females CAN pass it to young. Primary cause is crowding of animals so they are exposed repeatedly to urine and other fluids from herd animals. There is no vaccination for it because by the time it is seen in the animal it's too late anyway.  Transporting animals with the disease into a new area is a quick way to get CWD to spread. That is one reason wildlife officials want to thin herds in some areas.

In Alaska we have some pretty stiff laws about importing ANY wildlife. None.

Unfortunate it is in your area but if the Fish and Game folks are aware they will do what they can.

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

any truth to this CWD disease deer being located near a captive deer farm? I saw a comment about that yesterday. If its true makes you wonder if they are related?

I don't know the area at all, but this was in the Strib article:

Southeastern Minnesota is a popular location for deer and elk farms and the latest CWD finding means that one additional deer farm in the area will be placed under restrictions that prevent movement of the animals to or from the farms.

Yeah I saw that.   Another article implied it was just a location thing.  They were within some number of miles of latest case.   It will be interesting to see how the landowners with the big bucks (both kinds) react.   I didn't realize that was managed for big bucks down there. 

The prions that cause cwd are very durable.   Who knows where those bones and backbones and brains will end up.  They can survive a rendering process, I believe.   Why would we want an infectious agent possibly being transported long distances?

On 12/28/2016 at 9:39 PM, delcecchi said:

The prions that cause cwd are very durable.   Who knows where those bones and backbones and brains will end up.  They can survive a rendering process, I believe.   Why would we want an infectious agent possibly being transported long distances?

That is the interesting part of the equation.

So, they can depop the area but if the prions live for that long through that much, it indicates if they are going to reduce the herd now that they will need to leave it very low for a long period of time in order to prevent a recurrence and have this depop make sense. 

If this is the case as well it pretty much lays the groundwork for having a reduced herd across the state or country as a preventative measure. 

Personally I am not convinced that it's worth the risk and I don't believe they should be able to mandate private owners depopping their land if it generates income for them from hunting.

They are not mandating anyone to do anything.  They are requesting cooperation from landowners.  It sounds like they can't mandate, at least at present.

The prion in the soil, especially from only a few animals, is only a theoretical issue, so far as I know.  I think they are just being really careful with the transport stuff.  

But it is going to be curtains for many of those big bucks the regulations and landowners grew.  Unfortunately depopulation is the only way to control cwd at this time.

Cross your fingers, everyone....  CWD on deer farm in Central mn.   Let's hope it didn't get through the wire. 

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/12/30/chronic-wasting-disease-found-on-central-minnesota-farm

Chronic wasting disease found on central Minnesota farm

Environment John Enger · Bemidji, Minn. · Dec 30, 2016

Two deer on a central Minnesota deer farm tested positive for chronic wasting disease.

The two-year-old does were slaughtered last week near Merrifield in Crow Wing County. The animals looked healthy but routine tests showed they were infected, said Dr. Paul Anderson, assistant director at the Minnesota Board of Animal Health.

"We've quarantined the herd," he said. "The most important thing is to make sure no animals can get out, or in to that area. It is contagious."

The herd of 33 mule deer and 100 white-tailed deer could be euthanized, Anderson said, then tested for the disease. They could also be monitored and tested over time, which would not require a mass culling.

Chronic wasting disease is fatal to deer, elk and moose but is not known to affect human health.

These are the fourth and fifth cases discovered this year. Three infected deer were shot during the regular hunting season in southeastern Minnesota.

Another special two week hunt begins Saturday in permit area 603, where those three infected deer were found. The DNR is trying to deplete the deer population in that zone to try to stop any spread of the brain disease.

At this point, Anderson said, there doesn't seem to be any connection between the deer farm cases in central Minnesota, and the infected wild deer in the southeast.

25 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This is Hilarious!  So no Fox or Yotes are going to die or spread CWD to anything else after eating them. Thanks MN DNR for the vote of confidence! :crazy:

This vast WMA is only 240 acres. Holy dump what was that hunter doing way back there? He could have gotten lost in such a big area! :/

Edited by leech~~

Niskanen is doing a poor job of damage control. This area is about as remote as the Lake Elmo Park Reserve is to Stillwater. That WMA starts right at the edge of the city of Rochester. Then he admits that heads were dumped that were part of their CWD testing and weren't supposed to be dumped. For crying out loud.....how incompetent are these people that we trust with our resources?  

Edited by Satchmo

I was wondering about the pile of carcasses.  Where did they come from?   And they are taking them to a landfill?   What landfill?   Rochester doesn't have a landfill, although they have an incinerator (waste to energy thingy) practically next door to DNR.  

I wonder how long this has been going on?   Just this year?   I agree, sure makes Rochester office of DNR look totally stupid.  Wonder if anyone will get fired or transferred to the Duxbury office. 

As for the plan to deal with CWD, they ought to start by totally banning deer and elk farms from importing animals from out of state.   It sure seems to me that game farms are a major vector of cwd. 

What is the business model for a deer farm anyway?  Sell meat to restaurants?   Get big money from rich "sportsman" to shoot giant buck in a fenced in area?   'Cause it makes him feel like he's a man when he puts a shot into that buck. And I tell you things aren't quite the same when he's rushing on his run and he feels just like Jesus' son...

(apologies to Lou Reed)

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

I was wondering about the pile of carcasses.  Where did they come from?   And they are taking them to a landfill?   What landfill?   Rochester doesn't have a landfill, although they have an incinerator (waste to energy thingy) practically next door to DNR. 

I wonder how long this has been going on?   Just this year?   I agree, sure makes Rochester office of DNR look totally stupid.  Wonder if anyone will get fired or transferred to the Duxbury office.

As for the plan to deal with CWD, they ought to start by totally banning deer and elk farms from importing animals from out of state.   It sure seems to me that game farms are a major vector of cwd.

What is the business model for a deer farm anyway?  Sell meat to restaurants?   Get big money from rich "sportsman" to shoot giant buck in a fenced in area?   'Cause it makes him feel like he's a man when he puts a shot into that buck. And I tell you things aren't quite the same when he's rushing on his run and he feels just like Jesus' son...

(apologies to Lou Reed)

God dang it Del not up to Duxbury, don't need that up in our Bow hunting area! :mad:

3 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

God dang it Del not up to Duxbury, don't need that up in our Bow hunting area! :mad:

You are kidding?   My dad had a hunting shack on 32, near where it crosses the mcdermott.   On the west side of the crick, and north side of the road.  I haven't been up there since the late 70's.   Boy, sure weren't many deer up there when I hunted with him in the 60's.

2 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

You are kidding?   My dad had a hunting shack on 32, near where it crosses the mcdermott.   On the west side of the crick, and north side of the road.  I haven't been up there since the late 70's.   Boy, sure weren't many deer up there when I hunted with him in the 60's.

My Uncle had a farm down the road between there and Sandstone. Had a lot of good grease breakfasts at the Duxbury. Do you remember the old Tank they had out front of the store? That was cool to climb on when we were young. :)

Where did those carcasses indeed? Were any of them confiscated animals from WI CWD zones? Iowa? Who broke protocol and dumped the CWD tested heads there? Will they be held accountable? What are those protocols? How accurate are the tests being done? What are the chances of false negatives? How about a little more transparency and less rationalization!

OK, I sent an email to the guy who wrote the story for KAAL

[email protected]

subject:DNR deer carcass story

Please follow up on this story.  
Where did the deer come from and how did the DNR end up with them?   
What landfill are they talking about? I was unaware of any such landfill near Rochester. 
Did any of the deer dumped there, besides the heads come from areas with CWD?  
How come no one ever noticed dozens of rotting deer carcasses on the edge of Rochester before if they have been doing this for years?  

Is dumping carcasses in the woods even allowed in Minnesota?  

This story begs for more reporting.  

--

Del