• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils or K-Drill

Workstoomuch

I'm in the market for a new auger. Always had a Mora hand auger and I'm ready to move into the modern day. If there is anyone out there with experience with either of these products I would appreciate your opinion. Also am I better off going with the 6" or 8" drill on my cordless. I am not typically a hole hopper. If I drill 10-12 holes in a morning that's enough. That might change with a powered auger. Thanks for your replies.

Never used the K-drill but bought a 6" Nils (the orange one) last year and absolutely love it. I did have to upgrade my drill though as my 18v Craftsman didn't seem to work well. Went with a 20V DeWalt and could cut through 2 feet of ice no problem. I had a 10" gas powered auger, so I thought I would hate a 6" hole, but found 6" to be plenty.  I know Nils makes an 8" but I don't know how much more stress that would put on the drill.

I've got a nil's 6" on a rigid 20v, cuts like butter.  I can go through >1' of ice in less than 5 seconds.

How many holes you can drill depends entirely on the aH of your batteries, the type of battery, the thickness of the ice, and how warm you can keep the batteries.

I have not had any problem at all cutting 20+ holes through ~1-1.5' of ice on a 4 aH hyperlithium ion battery, and I also carry a 2 aH as a spare in case the 4 aH runs out.  Another option is to have a power converter to plug into your cigarette lighter and you can recharge the batteries on the ice. 

Edited by Lundguy21

44 minutes ago, Workstoomuch said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll also be using a 20v DeWalt drill. Do you have any idea how many holes you can drill with one battery?

No, I don't move much once I'm set up. I think the most holes I cut in a day last year was 15 without any problems. Lundguy's experience sounds about right. I've heard guys recommend keeping your batteries warm to prolong their charge - so that's something to consider if you want to cut as many holes as possible.

I was amazed at how little pressure you need to put on the Nils. None really, it grabs hold and starts pulling you down with it. Only complaint at all is sometimes it gets a little hung-up once it breaks through and you have to finesse it back up the hole. That's a very minor complaint though. 

Finally, I believe the Nils blades need to be sharpened by professionals. Not sure how often that would be. Mine still cuts like it's brand new.

11 hours ago, Getanet said:

I was amazed at how little pressure you need to put on the Nils. None really, it grabs hold and starts pulling you down with it. Only complaint at all is sometimes it gets a little hung-up once it breaks through and you have to finesse it back up the hole. That's a very minor complaint though. 

Yes, Nils explicity says NOT to press down at all, even turning it by hand, once it bites it pulls itself through the ice.  If the ice is only 3-6" I can get through it by hand with almost zero effort in less than 10 seconds.  

The complaint about it getting hung up is definitely true, but I've found just spinning the drill a couple times while pulling up usually does the trick.  

This is only the second season I have used mine, and I always replace the blade guard when I am finished, and it's still so sharp I am careful when I am taking off/replacing the guard because it's sharp enough to really cut you even if you brush against it.

Edited by Lundguy21

I've had the 8" nils convertible for a couple years. They cut like butter. I have yet to see anything cut a hole faster! You want at least 750 inlbs of torque on your drill and a 4ah battery. I have no problem getting 20-30 holes per battery depending on ice thickness. As said keep your batteries warm. As far a the blade I ran mine for 2 years and just sent it to surface Tension for a touch up. Thanks Frank!

Congrats! Be sure to hand tighten the chuck as much as possible when you go to use it. It can't fall thru the hole due to the orange flange at the top, but your eyes will still get as big as dinner plates if it slips off and falls down the hole. It can also start to strip the bit if it's not locked on tight. 

Be sure to report back.

to add to that actually take a file to the paint on the end of the adapter and remove the paint. this will help with it slipping.

11 hours ago, Surface Tension said:

Nice video and impressive demonstration with a 8" Nils!

Along with tightening the chuck be sure your chucked up on the low spots on the stub of the auger.

I wish I had the video of me racing 3 other gas power augers. the Nils makes them all look silly.