Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

rl_sd

Bitter/Waubay Ice Conditions?

25 posts in this topic

Anyone go out fishing this past weekend? Just call the Cove in Webster and they are saying 6-10".... but not claiming it to be "safe" yet. Seems about twice as much as I was expecting so was going to see if anyone was out and about....

should be making good ice this week and hopefully the snow stays away on Friday and Saturday. Looks like lows in -20's Saturday evening. 

I know I wont be ice fishing until pheasant season closes so I wont have anything worry about :)

According to the automated message, they have 10" of snowpack as well. Good thing we have negatives in the red, other wise ice production would be slowed down quite a bit!

got report from someone out that way yesterday, not many other guys out on the ice. said lots of snow on the ice, and they walked out yet. Ice was 9-10"

caught 3 walleyes all under 13"

I think this is going to be the year I wish I had a snowmobile. Hopefully we don't have to worry about winter kill either with all the snow.

How much snow is a lot? I am hoping that the wind this weekend will keep things up a bit, even though it may raise hell with the landings.

Doesn't sound like a lot of snow we got blew off the lakes and probably wont be able to get around with ATV. Lots of hard snow banks and no bare ice at all on entire lake. If we get any wind this weekend with that fresh snow on top of whats already there I fear landings getting blown and drifted shut.

Good news it may keep the thundering herd off some of the lakes. Bad news is I hope it doesn't cause any winter kill.

Exactly what I was thinking... I know that Webster got a pretty hefty dumping right after ice over. Big Stone is 40 mi east and doesn't have near the snow.

well everyone be safe if you do venture out this weekend. Not a whole lot of margin for error if you run into any issues in these temps they are forecasting.

Good luck

Sounding a little better up on big stone. Artie's bait report pickup traffic on the lake today.... always makes me feel ok about pulling out with the wheeler once I see vehicle traffic!

man this weather is just awful and not favoring us ice fisherman at all this year. If we get rain this weekend maybe it will help knock down some snow and refreeze and make it easier for getting around the lakes. I have been getting lots of conflicting reports anywhere from 6-10" inches of ices on most lakes yet. Hopefully we got some better ice making conditions and less snow.

I hear ya... sounds like there have been vehicles out on the ice on Bitter and Waubay. Big stone is suffering some cracks opening up from the temp swing. I am planning on heading up there on Tuesday, but will more than like be fishing out of the back of the side by side.

Are they driving full size pickups and houses on Bitter?  Would like to head that way this weekend but not sure on the ice and snow.  Any updates would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

On 1/3/2017 at 2:08 PM, Blackhawkxp said:

Are they driving full size pickups and houses on Bitter?  Would like to head that way this weekend but not sure on the ice and snow.  Any updates would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

yes, trucks all over the lake.  I wouldn't necessarily say that the bite is all that great though.  Personally, I'd hit the next two lakes west of bitter, or a couple up in Marshall Co.

Spent the weekend on the lake.  It was a rough ride on the ice.  Fishing was slow to say the least.  There were a lot of houses on the lake.  We measured about 19" of ice.  You could drive pretty much anywhere but not sure what the wind and snow the last couple of days have done to lake travel.

1 hour ago, Blackhawkxp said:

Spent the weekend on the lake.  It was a rough ride on the ice.  Fishing was slow to say the least.  There were a lot of houses on the lake.  We measured about 19" of ice.  You could drive pretty much anywhere but not sure what the wind and snow the last couple of days have done to lake travel.

Did you do much moving? I am heading up there this weekend and have a few spots in mind, but was curious where you tried that didn't work. I think that overall fishing was tough this weekend on a lot of lakes. Hoping this following weekend is better.

I set up in a 30 foot basin west of the landing and stayed put.  There were a lot of houses setup on the break line Friday night when i arrived and most were gone by Saturday night.  Either they slammed them and had their fish or they struck out which i believe was the more likely scenario. I had buddies hopping around the lake without much luck.  We probably caught 10 walleyes and kept 5 which sounded like it was better than most i talked to.  It was still fun to get out there.  One buddy said there was a pressure ridge out away's but didn't say exactly where.  I agree it sounded like fishing was tough on most of the lakes in the area that i have heard.

4 hours ago, Blackhawkxp said:

I set up in a 30 foot basin west of the landing and stayed put.  There were a lot of houses setup on the break line Friday night when i arrived and most were gone by Saturday night.  Either they slammed them and had their fish or they struck out which i believe was the more likely scenario. I had buddies hopping around the lake without much luck.  We probably caught 10 walleyes and kept 5 which sounded like it was better than most i talked to.  It was still fun to get out there.  One buddy said there was a pressure ridge out away's but didn't say exactly where.  I agree it sounded like fishing was tough on most of the lakes in the area that i have heard.

Thanks for the info. I assume you are talking the Bitter Lake Lodge landing? Any perch?

anyone know how much snow they got up there this morning? I am guessing about 3" with lots of wind out of the North. Could make travel interesting again on the lakes.

I have heard that you need to do a lot of zigging and zagging, but that was last night before the latest round of snow. I am heading in that direction this weekend, so hopefully the landings will be clear.

Too many report of it being slow in 30-32ft means dont set up in that main lake basin.  Hit the reefs on the west, sw side.  I thought there was a GREAT bite going.  I sat in my one-man, moved with in a 20-30yrd radius and limited myself and my buddies 8yr old kid out, probably caught 20 walleyes myself and some perch mixed in.  23-24' outside one of those humps and there were some brush piles around and a little deeper water close by.  Id say, dont wast your time basin fishing a lake you dont know much about and it wont be slow.  The bite was great!

rl_sd likes this

2 hours ago, DrJuice1980 said:

Too many report of it being slow in 30-32ft means dont set up in that main lake basin.  Hit the reefs on the west, sw side.  I thought there was a GREAT bite going.  I sat in my one-man, moved with in a 20-30yrd radius and limited myself and my buddies 8yr old kid out, probably caught 20 walleyes myself and some perch mixed in.  23-24' outside one of those humps and there were some brush piles around and a little deeper water close by.  Id say, dont wast your time basin fishing a lake you dont know much about and it wont be slow.  The bite was great!

Great information. I appreciate it juice. When were you up there?

Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Sunday sucked with the wind and portables.  I had to hunker down in my buddies with his kid and couldn't be mobile.  Which also was a bummer because we set up right by where we did well the day before and after setting everything up, we we snug up against a brush pile and it was too close for comfort.  Caught one walleye.  He didnt want to move with his 8yr old all settled in, I understood. The few times I braved the elements I hole hopped and missed 3 fish due to ice build up on the rode and line...:(   Oh well, I already had my fun and that was just bonus time.

Tiny spoon, one of those small forage minnow spoons you can pick up in the tackle boxes by the register.  That and a minnow head produced about 90% of the fish.  Had to entice them for the most part but some you didnt, theyd shoot up and smack it.  Yellow glow with green seemed to produce the most.

Find an area with a small open basin that has humps around it and set up on the deep edge of a steep drop a little ways out into the basin, but not too far. I wouldnt mess with the deep stuff either, 24ft seemed the right depth.

On 1/11/2017 at 7:41 AM, rl_sd said:

I have heard that you need to do a lot of zigging and zagging, but that was last night before the latest round of snow. I am heading in that direction this weekend, so hopefully the landings will be clear.

How did you do last weekend?

27 minutes ago, Blackhawkxp said:

How did you do last weekend?

Sent you a long-winded PM... you been out on Lac qui Parle at all?