• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on the Clam Gear Box?

MidCoast

Pros

You can get by with a drill that does not have enough torque.

If you have a Lazer 8" the gear box might get you by.

Drilling through 6" of ice is one thing.  Once we get to 3" or some where in between some of the drill powered augers will be shelved.  A gear box should prolong that if your not too under powered to start with.

Cons

Your drill speed will be half of what it would be without the gear box BUT if your drill hasn't enough torque without the gear box at least your drilling holes with one.

Battery life will be less as it takes twice as long to drill a hole but there is less load on the drill so I wouldn't say your battery life is half.

Added cost.

If you have a K-Drill, dropping the RPMs below 600 is not recommended.

If you already have lithium ion batteries and charger,  consider upgrading the drill. You can find just about all the top brands for around $100 of less if you shop for reconditioned drills.  IMO that is a lot better then getting by with a gear box.

What model drill do you have now and what brand a size auger are you using?

UPDATE: From a Clam Pro Staffer just a bit ago:

Here is the official statement from Clam :

The facts are as follows:

We’ve identified an issue with a defective gear in some of the gear boxes that attach to the Clam auger conversion plate.  There is NO issue with any of the conversion drill plates themselves, and this is NOT a safety concern.  The issue is specific only to gear boxes shipped over the past 60 days.  To be sure all gear boxes sold are in perfect working condition, Clam has asked retailers to return to Clam the gear boxes as well as the conversion kit that includes an 8” auger and a gear box.  Clam will be replacing the gear boxes and getting the units back out to stores over the next two weeks.  Anyone who has a gear box in their possession that fails (we believe there are approximately 200 in consumers hands that may be defective) should call Clam.  You will be shipped a replacement gear box within the next couple of weeks along with a return slip so you can return your defective unit.  Any questions please call 1-800-ice-fish or email us at [email protected].

If you happen to have one of the gear boxes please get ahold of Clam customer service and they will take care of you.

I just bought one and like any toy first thing I did was take it apart.  Definitely no plastic gears, the things were actually beefier than I thought.  I havent used mine in the traditional way to run an auger, but using it to jack up our house with a drill, It definitely put out substantially more torque.  The slower speed is a downer but one that was obviously known about due to the reduction.  I would compare it from going from a gas auger to an ION.  That being said, our ION has zero problems drilling at a slower speed so I would think it should work.

15 hours ago, RebelSS said:

UPDATE: From a Clam Pro Staffer just a bit ago:

Here is the official statement from Clam :

The facts are as follows:
 There is NO issue with any of the conversion drill plates themselves, and this is NOT a safety concern.  The issue is specific only to gear boxes shipped over the past 60 days. 

I wonder which new assembler lost their job! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

21 hours ago, brian6715 said:

Does anyone else miss the days when Clam was a leader in ice fishing equipment? At least I know now not to buy anything blue, as chances are it's dump. 

Every new product has issues for the most part and they are fixing the issue. I will be getting a gear box when they have the better gears

I've seen the news release from Clam.  As I see it, contact clam to get a replacement and use your gear box till the new supply is available.  Then return your old gear box when the new one arrives with a receipt.

Clam is dong the right thing and getting these replaced as hassle free to the consumer as possible.  

On 12/16/2016 at 11:00 AM, brian6715 said:

Does anyone else miss the days when Clam was a leader in ice fishing equipment? At least I know now not to buy anything blue, as chances are it's dump. 

that is kind of a dumb statement. clam will and does take care of customers as do most companies in the business. 

True, but at the same time, they do put their brand on some items of questionable quality, like the two packs of LED hand held lights with the hooks and magnets on them, as well as those fan/light combos that you can hang in the shacks just to name a few items that I've seen numerous people have issues with.  Clam would do just fine without having to rebrand some of the chinese stuff like the lights.  Shacks and major shack accessories, along with the tackle, I'll continue to buy, but when you go to return a fan and the guy at scheels says "yeah we get a lot of these returned" it does make you wonder why not stick to the stuff that they do well.