• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Splash one!

leech~~

It is interesting how people got out so early.  I have done it too.  3 or 4 hits with the spud and it is alright.......  NO it isn't ....  It is manly to talk about getting on the ice first.  Well now that I am older I realize it is stupid talk not manly.  The fishing sales world is just as guilty.  They talk about the first ice fishing being so good.  They actually are hugely responsible for getting stupid people out on thin ice.  The lets make a buck is more important than anything.  ANYTHING!!! 

I would really like to see everyone that ventures on the ice with a spud, a whistle tied on a lanyard to their coat, a spud, and  a flotation PFD jacket/suit that's available now, or two looped ice spikes around their neck. Taking along a 50' pice of rope in your gear bucket can save a life, too. The whistle, rope, and hand ice spikes aren't even noticeable gear to have...how much is  yer life worth, anyway?

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

I would really like to see everyone that ventures on the ice with a spud, a whistle tied on a lanyard to their coat, a spud, and a flotation PFD jacket/suit that's available now, or two looped ice spikes around their neck. Taking along a 50' pice of rope in your gear bucket can save a life, too. The whistle, rope, and hand ice spikes aren't even noticeable gear to have...how much is  yer life worth, anyway?

So two spuds kind of like ski poles one in each hand? :)

Of course your message is right on. ;)

Totally agree with you guys.  I think a spud bar is the wrong tool.  I was out on thin ice (3") one time with a spud and the first whack I took broke  open about a 20 ft diameter hole and down I went.  It was just above my knees but da% cold. Last time i ever used one.  I can wait for better ice. Cant fix stupid.

Edited by slammer

2 minutes ago, slammer said:

Totally agree with you guys.  I think a spud bar is the wrong tool.  I was out on thin ice (3") one time with a spud and the first whack I took broke  open about a 20 ft diameter hole and down I went.  It was just above my knees but da% cold. Last time i ever used one.  I can wait for better ice.

Um, it may have saved your life if you found out the ice was as thin as it was when you got out over your head!

Wet feet ant nutten! ;)

59 minutes ago, slammer said:

Totally agree with you guys.  I think a spud bar is the wrong tool.  I was out on thin ice (3") one time with a spud and the first whack I took broke  open about a 20 ft diameter hole and down I went.  It was just above my knees but da% cold. Last time i ever used one.  I can wait for better ice. Cant fix stupid.

You must have been on some sh*tty ice for it to do that... Love my heavy spud bar, if it doesn't go through in a couple wacks I feel pretty darn confident in stepping...Spud bar,picks,pfd,rope, common sense all ya need :)

10 hours ago, slammer said:

And without it YOU would have gone *SPLOOSH* They've been around for a hundred years for a reason....;)

Good rules to follow:

(And remember that's CLEAR ice; not snow covered which can be treacherous. )

MNDNR-Safe-Ice-Image.jpg

11 hours ago, leech~~ said:

So two spuds kind of like ski poles one in each hand? :)

Of course your message is right on. ;)

For some people, you have to repeat things twice to get through....;)

For some people, you have to repeat things twice to get through....;)