• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Robins must know....

RebelSS

That the snow's coming. My crab apple, and the ground below it, is literally loaded with Robin's gorging themselves. Started yesterday and hasn't stopped...I counted 15 at once before they flit around and land on another branch. 

DSC02855.JPG

DSC02856.JPG

DSC02854.JPG

What's kind of interesting is there were a few crab apples by my old work and they would eat some in the fall. But in the spring when they must get just ripe enough. It would be a pile on of Robins, Blue Jays, Squirrels and they would clean the trees in a few days. Like a good wine they must know when its time! :lol:

They're still hammering away today. Snowing good here; but they're still loading up. Kinda interesting...they chow down, then 4-5 of them fly to my pine tree, fluff up the ol' feathers and doze for a bit. Then back to the tree....kinda reminds me of some people. :grin:

DSC02871.JPG

DSC02870.JPG

DSC02874.JPG

I don't think it's uncommon at all for some robins to winter this far north, as long as there are fruit trees like yours around.

I see them quite often here in the suburbs all winter, often in mixed flocks with cedar waxwings.

The tree sure is loaded with them today. Saw some bunnies eating the fallen apples at midnite last nite. Squirrels are packin' 'em in, too. Apples are soft and mushy, even in this weather. Must be a high concentration of fermented alcohol....sure hope a drunken brawl doesn't break out. :grin:

10 hours ago, RebelSS said:

The tree sure is loaded with them today. Saw some bunnies eating the fallen apples at midnite last nite. Squirrels are packin' 'em in, too. Apples are soft and mushy, even in this weather. Must be a high concentration of fermented alcohol....sure hope a drunken brawl doesn't break out. :grin:

You could just wade into the mele with your 4D maglight.  Then make soup.

Maglights are old school. I do have two, though...but the new 1100 Lumen Nitecore's blinds anything, then the expandable baton comes out and raises a knob on their knob. Bobbin' robin and tree rat soup. :grin: