• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sign and camera at the launch

Tom7227

I oppose all that camera stuff, with auto ticketing.   How will the camera tell if there is water in my live well?  Or in my minnow bucket?  Will it focus on the plug as I drive into the parking lot?  

I also oppose the red light cameras and speed cameras.  What's next?  Drones following us around? 

I have gotten the info from the DNR on boats entering the lake.  Inspections were done mostly during the 8-4 time frame during the week.  In 170 hours of inspections 690 boats entered the lake and those boats had been in 104 different bodies of water before entering the lake I am concerned with. Of the top 43 of those lakes 32 of them (68%) had invasive species.  3% didn't have their plugs out.  The head zeb educator at the U told me that a piece of aquatic vegetation the size of a dinner plate could have 500,000 zebs on it.  He said by far the biggest mechanism for spreading invasive is by boat launches.    The boat inspection thing is about the only way to slow down the spread.

I agree that the camera thing is a long shot and probably not worth the money.  The DNR was not going to install it.  I was asking because the local lake association was considering it.

We have a lake home on a western Wisconsin lake.  At the public landing, there is a camera that runs during the spring, summer and early fall seasons. The lake association pays for its rental.   Its is very heavy duty and is installed in a fixture that looks somewhat like a stainless steel fire hydrant.  Its attached to the ground like a hydrant too. This device gives verbal messages to people launching their boat and it also checks for weeds on trailers.  The pictures are sent wirelessly to somebody who monitors them.  There is no auto-ticketing.  The pictures have been used by the DNR to follow-up with boats that leave or enter the launch with weeds on their trailer.  A couple tickets have been issued based on this evidence.  The camera has also been used to identify people who are launching their boat twice in one day.

I believe the device has heightened awareness about invasives.  Its not perfect but it is a very cost effective tool to help manage an access point.

17 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

They might have to pay to launch would be my guess. All of the Lake Superior launches are $5.00

Which ones? I've never had to pay at any of the Lake Superior launches unless I've been getting away with not paying all these years

6 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Huh...I'm lost on that one...:confused: What's the difference if you stay out all day, or leave and come back later? Not trying to be a smart elbow, just curious...

Get a  limit, go home and stash it, come back and get another.  "double dipping".   Basically no chance of getting caught. 

When they are biting, fill the freezer.   Make up for the times you got skunked.   Used to see it a lot with the locals on Vermilion.   Not many folks pay much attention to that "possession" business in the regulations.  (in my opinion)

Double tripping is less common, because it is sort of inconvenient unless they live nearby.   And then doing it through the ice is easier.   Lock the shack, run home with the fish.   Come back for the evening bite.  

9 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

Which ones? I've never had to pay at any of the Lake Superior launches unless I've been getting away with not paying all these years

Loonsfoot, Port Wing, Herbster, Corny, Sand Bay,  Washburn. Can't say I have seen a free one yet on Superior on the Wisconsin side.

I kinda think your cheating the system :)

On 2/8/2017 at 4:17 PM, Jim Almquist said:

Loonsfoot, Port Wing, Herbster, Corny, Sand Bay,  Washburn. Can't say I have seen a free one yet on Superior on the Wisconsin side.

I kinda think your cheating the system :)

I usually launch out of Duluth and they don't charge fees. I have seen Loons Foot landing and they got a cool fish cleaning station there along with the one on Barkers Island

Bad idea, so what happens when someone backs in with a dinner plate full of weeds and 500k zebra muscles and the camera picks it up?

A fine is issued and the DNR makes money while the lake still gets infested.

That is a reactive solution which will not help stop the spread of invasive species in any way what so ever.

Edited by fishnowworknever