• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing out of a 5x5 hub. Is it possible?

Hey guys, normally spear out of my grandpas 4x8 collapsible for spearing but they can be a real pain early ice putting them on a medium otter sled with gear on top doesn't always work so well. A few years back I bought a hub I don't know why I ever bought it I've used it once. I just don't like hubs vs flip over's for how I fish. I'm working on velcroing the windows and vents it was a cheaper hub so the windows wouldn't shut and block light to well same with vents so I'm almost finished with that. Normally I have a 5x4 ( 5 holes by 4 holes)  with a 8 inch auger but after trying that on the floor its way to big so I want to do a 2 foot by 3 foot hole ( how ever many auger holes that would be) that sizes seems about right does any one spear from a 5x5 hub? One guy, chair, bucket, heater it seems like its big enough. Any of you spear from a hub this size?

I got the clam bigfoot so I can still stand just fine, a few guys I know have of eskimos that are pretty tall as well. Make sure the fabric you have blocks out light, some let light through and you see lines down in your hole. I do a 4x2 hole and it works fine. If it's windy getting the house over the hole right can be a pain.

12 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I'd be more worried about height.

You might wind up hitting the roof quite a bit when you move your spear unless you hang it with the spear head in the water?

Might want to that out first.

Never even thought of that will check but I think it should be fine though.

11 hours ago, Fehler said:

I got the clam bigfoot so I can still stand just fine, a few guys I know have of eskimos that are pretty tall as well. Make sure the fabric you have blocks out light, some let light through and you see lines down in your hole. I do a 4x2 hole and it works fine. If it's windy getting the house over the hole right can be a pain.

Seems dark with the skirt laying flat, windows, vents, and doors shut set up in the basement with lots of lights on seems nice and dark. Wouldn't know till I get out there and try it I guess.

The bigfoot blocks the light just fine. I bought used so there were portions of it that were worn and had tiny holes, but even with that I could see great. Making sure your skirt is down properly and covering up the floor make a much bigger difference. I use EVA foam exercise tiles for the floor, light weight and shed the water well.

This year I went around and patched up a bunch of those, I used something we had lying around called Gesso, but I am guessing white out would have worked fine. Let that dry and then went over it with a sharpie. I doubt it will make a difference in me getting a fish or not, but needed to fill some time with the late ice :/ .

I am fairly certain this is the style of interior that caused the issue of seeing lines in the hole.

hub_light_interior_1000_x_1000.jpg

5 x 5 will be nor problem for one guy and gear.  I speared out of a two man flip over otter sled for several years and had not problem.  Use to spear out of a 4 x 6 permanent and that is less sq foot than the 5 x 5 hub.  It is nice to have a large hole and yes it lets in more light in those low light conditions but I always used a 3 x 2 spear hole and never had any issues.  It worked, could it be better?  Of course but you just have to figure out what is right for you.  Get a 5 x 5 foot piece of cardboard draw out your hole on it, set up your chair and put all your gear on it and then sit down.  This is probably the closest way to experiencing it prior to doing so...... Good Luck