Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

goldenbobby

Ion x or Strikemaster lithium lazer

117 posts in this topic

Just bought Ion X a week ago. My blades freeze up after just a couple holes. Sent out email a bit ago. Lets see if I get a new auger too.

4 weeks ago I purchased the Strikemaster Lithium 50 volt with a 10.25 chipper auger. I have used the heck out of this thing in the last 4 weeks and I have no complaints.  The head is very compact which makes it great for storage.  When I'm finished drilling the 6 holes in my house I remove the auger and place it in my truck and the head stores inside the cabinet in my ice castle. I don't charge it after every trip to the lake. Depends on how many times I move the house. It drills very easy and very fast.  Is it better than a Ion? I have no idea,  but I give it a 5 star 

20170108_104019.jpg

15 hours ago, BMartin1 said:

Just bought Ion X a week ago. My blades freeze up after just a couple holes. Sent out email a bit ago. Lets see if I get a new auger too.

In my prior posts I mentioned the issues I had with my ION X.  I will say that ION stood behind their product and had address both of my issues (auger ice up and switch not working).   In each case they sent me replacements that I received within 2-3 days.  They sent me a new 8" auger - so far no freeze up on mine.  But in fairness I haven't been doing a lot of hole hopping and putting it to a real hard test with cold temps.  But so far I've seen no noticeable ice build up.  

As far as the switch on the handle not work - they sent me a new switch kit - however taking it apart there are several springs in there that are not easy to get back together and went flying when taking it apart.   It did it on removal of the existing one and taking apart the new one they sent me so it was quite frustrating.   I call ION and said I had enough - they sent me a new power head to replace my old one and I just returned mine with the broken switch in their box.  ION also paid for all shipping as well.  That is great customer service and am quite happy with them.  So for about the past month I have not had any more issues.

In my perm house I drilled six - 10" holes and with the reverse feature pushing all the slush back down the holes.  I would say I barely had a half pail full.  That is nice considering how much slush there is from a 10" hole.  (note: I have both the 8" and 10" auger bit).

BartmanMN likes this

They replaced mine also and it works as advertised now. I had the first generation Ion also with zero complaints. There is a huge difference in the new drill and the one that caused their problems. I second the Great Customer Service! Everybody screws up, they stood up and fixed it. 

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

They replaced mine also and it works as advertised now. I had the first generation Ion also with zero complaints. There is a huge difference in the new drill and the one that caused their problems. I second the Great Customer Service! Everybody screws up, they stood up and fixed it. 

Did they replace your head or auger?

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Can you post a picture of the new and old blades?  I have one of the new Ion's and I'm just hoping I don't have one of the problem auger blades.

Most of the augering I've done so far with it has been from inside the wheelhouse.  I haven't had a chance to use it on a cold day outside to see if mine will freeze up.

It's not the blades, it's the auger(drill). The old one was almost flat black and very textured like hammered iron and the new one is shiny black and smooth with little or no texture that you can feel. The new one is like a shiny black version of the old green ones.

They replace the auger/drill part, not the head.

2 hours ago, Hawg said:

It's not the blades, it's the auger(drill). The old one was almost flat black and very textured like hammered iron and the new one is shiny black and smooth with little or no texture that you can feel. The new one is like a shiny black version of the old green ones.

They replace the auger/drill part, not the head.

Thanks!  I'll take a look when I get home.  I don't remember any texturing on my auger, so hopefully I got one of the new ones.

If it's smooth and shiny it's the good one. 

Just talked to customer service. Since I'm about an hour and a half away from them I'm just gonna drive there and pick up a new bit. Very nice customer service I would say. Will certainly post report after this weekend after I punch some holes and see how it works.

Heard from one of their pro-staffers that they did indeed use the wrong kind of paint on the first batch of cast iron auger bottoms. Since then they have fixed the problem. Is the X really worth the extra $? 

All is well with the new bit. No icing to speak of.

It's way more than paint, when you see the two side by side you'll see it's a whole different finish. 

Does anyone have any experience with the 10" auger on the Ion X?  I'm thinking about picking one up for inside the wheelhouse for next year just because I think I would like the bigger hole.  I know I won't get as many holes out of each charge, but I usually don't use half the battery life on it as is, and if I'm out for a weekend I bring the charger with anyways and can charge it in the wheelhouse.

Is it worth the extra $150?  Any problems with it binding up in the hole, or any issues I'm not thinking of?

For that purpose they work perfectly. You'll still have the 8 if you need more holes or want to move a couple times. I'm like you, I keep the charger in my truck if I need it. I still can't figure why so many people want 2 batteries and they still worry but I think after owning one for a while that fear goes away. Hole hoppers shouldn't buy them (but that's getting debatable too), and house guys should ALL have them. 

Wanderer and Adam NWI like this

Couldn't agree more, Hawg.

Thanks Hawg.  I've never used a 10" hole before, but I could definitely see the advantages to it.  As long as people haven't had any problems with them, I think I'll have to go for it.  Can never hurt to have 2 augers!

50 minutes ago, Hawg said:

For that purpose they work perfectly. You'll still have the 8 if you need more holes or want to move a couple times. I'm like you, I keep the charger in my truck if I need it. I still can't figure why so many people want 2 batteries and they still worry but I think after owning one for a while that fear goes away. Hole hoppers shouldn't buy them (but that's getting debatable too), and house guys should ALL have them. 

No way I'd own an ION for my wheelhouse.  I prefer a 10" hole and am not about to spend $800 for an auger when I can buy almost two Eskimo HC40's for that price. I emailed Ion about this and asked if they would be willing to swap out a 10″ blade for an 8″ combo for the price difference and increase in shipping. They were unwilling to do so, so I took my money elsewhere.

I don’t believe that there isn’t enough interest in a 10″ Ion combo. Electric is the perfect drill for wheelhouses as there is no exhaust. Most wheelhouse owners I know, including myself, prefer a 10″ hole in their shack. Heck, even before I had my wheelhouse I preferred 10″ holes (not needed but personal preference).

$800 is steep for an auger but the main reason I won't own a 10" ION is because I honestly believe the electric motor and system isn’t built to drive a 10″ bit.  A 10″ bit has a lot more ice to remove than an 8″ bit (50sq in vs 79sq in) and torque to spin a larger diameter auger.  All that increase in motor load requires much more amperage which could lead to premature failure if the motor and electrical system (wiring/circuit boards) was not designed for such a load. I also asked Ion about this concern of mine and their only reply was quote - “The 10″ will not be sold with the powerhead. The 10″ is an accessory only and does have to be purchased separately”. To me, that sounds a little fishy… 

BassThumb. likes this

Yetti, I agree with most of what you said. I wouldn't have a 10 inch unless it was for a few holes to set my house and keep the holes open every day or so. I don't own a 10 inch either. There was rumor about KDrill doing a 9 next year so I called. 8 is the optimum size for today's power heads and gearing systems according to Vexilar people, and Ion will tell you the same thing. But you will be fine doing a few at a time. You use very little downward pressure with an Ion so the torque needed isn't that bad if not used all the time.  I hated my 8 (7 3/4) Ion hole at first but now I've gotten used to it. The biggest problem I see with a 10 is the amount of extra snow you'll bring up into the house. I know it's expensive but so is a Yetti house. I'm not a rich kid and go to work every day so sometimes I do over spend. I've regretted a lot of dumb purchases but the Ion was never one of them.

Adam NWI likes this

Posted (edited)

10" Nils 42 volt Icegator Annilator 

20170210_110542.thumb.jpg.91a37b8ab659d3317e00c30bc7c5bb3f.jpg

Beauty and the Beast20170210_113014_1487117234479-3.jpg.26bff1a09341ab29cde69077c4d61925.jpg

It's looks will grow on you fast 

Rich kid's auger

Edited by AlligatorDundee
spelling

Posted (edited)

Still mind blowing to see Nils team with Ice Gator. I think they already broke ties didn't they?

Just checked, it's not on their site anymore.

Edited by Hawg

Not sure. But if you are listening 

Icegator,

THANK YOU!

sounds like they are gone. too many problems from what I read. 

2 hours ago, AlligatorDundee said:

10" Nils 42 volt Icegator Annilator 

20170210_110542.thumb.jpg.91a37b8ab659d3317e00c30bc7c5bb3f.jpg

Beauty and the Beast20170210_113014_1487117234479-3.jpg.26bff1a09341ab29cde69077c4d61925.jpg

It's looks will grow on you fast 

Rich kid's auger

The real question I have, is that an actual bear skin rug? 

Posted (edited)

20130222_165735.thumb.jpeg.12431ead0161fa1a759800cb23abfb47.jpegIt is a died black sheepskin quad pelt.

Everyone who sees it thinks it's 

A black bear rug. 

You get tired of correcting them you just let them think that.

Edited by AlligatorDundee
eyeguy 54, BassThumb. and Adam NWI like this