• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I wonder

blue_healer_guy

If there are any twins fans left, I wonder if these new young bucks running the club have asked mauer if he would lift his no trade clause?  I think we know the answer.  I find it interesting to watch these winter meetings trades etc but we are never involved.  It seems like we are missing something as fans.

19 hours ago, blue_healer_guy said:

If there are any twins fans left, I wonder if these new young bucks running the club have asked mauer if he would lift his no trade clause?  I think we know the answer.  I find it interesting to watch these winter meetings trades etc but we are never involved.  It seems like we are missing something as fans.

While I do think they are going to try to shake things up a bit, getting Mauer to drop the clause, re-structure, whatever, is never gonna happen. We're on the hook for two more years and $46 million overall. Gotta say...Joe might have had the most convenient big year ever in '09. He should be set for several lifetimes. A salary of $23 million a year is the equivalent of about three good players--the likes of which we won't see until 2019. Yikes... That contract, a cheap owner, and mediocre leadership have killed this mid-market team...

The fans and state for sold a bill of goods by the ownership. 

Even dating back to the last world series years they refused to pay their key players because they said the Dome didn't generate enough revenue.

They specifically stated that they would increase the payroll and field a competitive team if they got a new stadium.

They got the new stadium and fans filled it to support them and in return after a brief few year period where they spent a bit more, they now went back into profit taking mode and put a crappy product on the field. They don't deserve the fans they have.

9 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

I WAS AGAINST IT!!!! If it wasn't for Jay Cutler, Mauer's, would by far be the worst contract in sports history!

Were you a member of this board at that time? I don't remember too many people agreeing with me.

I've been a member for 10 years. I don't recall how vocal I may have been at the signing, but I was definitely against it. I think the twins could have gotten him for much cheaper (and a couple less years), as I don't believe other teams, such as the red socks, were very serious about him. However, if Boston did sign him, I certainly wouldn't have lost any sleep. Although, gardy might still be the manager, as I don't think we would've had all those 90 loss seasons with Mauer being gone.

You're right JB, I went back through an old thread that I was VERY involved in and you did make a few remarks to this regard. Critics of Mauer were very hard to come by then and there are a few posters who were really on the Mauer bandwagon hard. A few of them had such man crushes that they have probably done something drastic by now! :D

22 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

I WAS AGAINST IT!!!! If it wasn't for Jay Cutler, Mauer's, would by far be the worst contract in sports history!

Jay Cutler????

Hasn't Jay Cutler turned out to be the best QB of all time for that franchise that has been around for almost 100 years? What more do you want?

I'm still going with Mauer's contract as the worst.

Well then that shows how little you know about baseball. Back up the statement as the worst contract as compared to someone like a Ryan Howard or Barry Zito.  Mauer not putting up the numbers in recent years is as much of a result in the twins not fielding a good enough hitting team around him as just skills decline (be it injury or age). While his numbers dont match up with contract size as per % or twins payroll. Other teams are far outpaying players based on their production. 

2 hours ago, SledNeck said:

Well then that shows how little you know about baseball. Back up the statement as the worst contract as compared to someone like a Ryan Howard or Barry Zito.  Mauer not putting up the numbers in recent years is as much of a result in the twins not fielding a good enough hitting team around him as just skills decline (be it injury or age). While his numbers dont match up with contract size as per % or twins payroll. Other teams are far outpaying players based on their production. 

Is this directed at me?