• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy string

MCI

I use a thin super-line/braid. That said,  a friend of mine swears by mono in really clear water and I've sat with him and seen a lot of wary fish that still get close enough to ruin their day. Not sure if it matters or not... I just like the assurance of braid.

Old fashioned black Dacron musky line. Durable tough  Have thought of trying  50 or 100lb flouro but knots are hard to do in it then you have to use crimps etc more point to fail. Interested to see what others do.

Mwal

A mixed bag of answers, just what I expected.

I want to buy a couple new decoys, they aren't cheap and I fear the line breaking and losing the decoy. On the other hand, I don't want to use bailing twine to protect the decoy and it scares or spooks the fish and keeps them from entering the hole. 

That is why I posted this question.

I would be more fearful of dropping a decoy down a 3x4' hole then the line breaking, every wood decoy I have had hit by a northern they hit low not high so not even close to the line to worry about them cutting the line.

In my experience when a pike or dogfish hit a decoy it's a hit and hold, not a thrash. There have been many times where I have put gentle tension on the decoy line and pulled the decoy and the fish back into the hole. 

Braided black tip up line, either Dacron or nylon, in 30-50lb with a snap swivel is all I use.

8 hours ago, mwal said:

Old fashioned black Dacron musky line. Durable tough  Have thought of trying  50 or 100lb flouro but knots are hard to do in it then you have to use crimps etc more point to fail. Interested to see what others do.

Mwal

Flouro holds up pretty well.  You shouldn't have to go over 30 lb, maybe 40 if yer really skeered. :grin:.  I'm running 30 on mine.  I fish with 20 lb flouro leaders all summer long and rarely get cut off.  Sure it gets nicked up here and there but I get the fish or my lure back.  Keep an eye on it and re-tie when necessary.

For reference, I might re-tie once per outing.  Fish catching outings that is.

51 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I also use braid line on either an old bait casting real or old fly rod reel. this way when they come in like a torpedo and hit it there's give and they can take line out.

I use the same set up and I think it's the only way to go.

10lbs mono never had a shear off. I have it on a rod and reel. Have had a fish run with it, have the drag set light. I run pretty cheap decoys, if I ran more expensive ones or carved my own I'm sure my opinion would be different.