Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

eagle_3464

Redback electric auger

32 posts in this topic

I'm not in the market for a new auger since purchasing an Ion, but I see FF has a Redback electric auger in their ad. This auger looks similar to the Ion for significantly less money. Does anyone have experience with this auger?

Just wanted to bring it up as a possible alternative to those who might be in the  market for an electric. As a side note, I am very happy with the Ion.

They're made by NGP, an industrial producer in Ningbo, China. Good luck getting service or parts on that, is all I'll say. I know all the other augers engines, etc, are made in China, but they also have been around for years with an established company, which is a huge difference. I'd be real cautious...:whistle:

Cooperman likes this

I'd like to see reviews on this in a year or so..it just may be the best bang for yer buck....who knows? 

Big Dave2 likes this

I wonder how much the battery weighs. probably not much. hurry up ice so I can try my drill plate! :)

I wonder how much the battery weighs. probably not much. hurry up ice so I can try my drill plate! :)

Interesting... I typed my response and it went up 2 times... hmmmmm. i wonder why.  twilight zone?????  

46 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

This has been happening to me as well. I think the Submit reply button is a little slow so people are hitting it twice. I know I did! :lol::lol:

I agree in that you can call Ion or Strikemaster and they help you right now and both give good service, at least that was my experience before they moved from Big Lake to Johnson Outdoors. This new one looks kind of clunky and I don't remember my Ion jumping around that muck when drilling like the video one does. Who knows maybe they will turn out great but I won't be the guinea pig.

$349 at FF.  I believe they "jump around" hawg, because they haven't yet figured out you SHOULD have a center ''point", especially when using chipper style blades. I've used  and worked on everyt type of auger out there to drill holes with since the 70's, and  there's still a few that don't have a point on them. 

This may actually be a good thing...it'll at a minimum, drive down prices.

I wish that were true! Ice-fishing gear, especially augers, are a very item specific thing...I've yet to see augers drop in price in twenty years.

Looks like a function away from a patent lol. I'd give it a whirl. 

There's where some money lies..making adapters for a reasonable price to fit various augers and shafts.......;)

14 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

There's where some money lies..

Two dimes and a nickel.  There just isn't much of market. 

I do like my quick disconnect thingy that lets me unscrew the bit from the head for transport purposes.  That was worth $20.