Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

eyeguy 54

Cure ?

17 posts in this topic

Just realized that I had a brain fert on the canadian bacon I made. brined it for 10 days in pops brine recipe but I forgot to put a T of the cure in. I have already eaten about a 3 inch chunk. The rest has been in the freezer for a week. Is it a big gamble to eat it?? 

Just curious - how was the taste and the texture?  I assume it was more gray than pink?  Did it taste the same otherwise?? Cooking to the right temp should kill the bad guys, but Iearned that you don't taste the bad guys.  The bacteria that lead to spoilage likely won't make you sick but those are the ones that make the food taste rancid or give it an off texture.  I would think that your finished product would taste a little weird. But hey, they dry and wet age beef for weeks and that's supposed to make it better.  So who knows.

I personally would not eat it, but that's just me.

If we don't hear from you for awhile we will know why....   lol   Maybe shouldn't joke about that though.  I would be a little nervous but it was in the frig the whole time so with the salts and sugars it may be like our fore fathers did it.  

eyeguy 54 likes this

You are cooking it before you eat it right? I've only heard people using Cure when using dehydrators or may be for jerky when using burger. I have never used the stuff but don't like or make dehydrated jerky.

Seem to still be alive! :lol:

184405201.jpg

Edited by leech~~

took up to 153 in smoker.  I like it cold and fried. Have only eaten it cold so far from this one. 

Found  this on a brining site.

If you don’t have or don’t want to use curing salt containing sodium nitrite, you can brine meats without it. Without curing salt that contains sodium nitrite, the color of the cured meat will be gray rather than pink and the flavor is less sweet with a more pronounced “pickle” flavor. It turns out more like seasoned roast meat, than a cured meat.

It's nice and pink just like the others I have done, maybe the pickling salt somewhat cured it. who knows

leech~~ likes this

21 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

took up to 153 in smoker.  I like it cold and fried. Have only eaten it cold so far from this one. 

Found  this on a brining site.

If you don’t have or don’t want to use curing salt containing sodium nitrite, you can brine meats without it. Without curing salt that contains sodium nitrite, the color of the cured meat will be gray rather than pink and the flavor is less sweet with a more pronounced “pickle” flavor. It turns out more like seasoned roast meat, than a cured meat.

It's nice and pink just like the others I have done, maybe the pickling salt somewhat cured it. who knows

Ok I'll save you from dying. Where can i pick it up?  :)

eyeguy 54, smurfy and PurpleFloyd like this

Another one thawing.  made this one for my nephew but will keep it for me. So will have another one in the brine in a couple days. 

Mike89 and leech~~ like this

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Ok I'll save you from dying. Where can i pick it up?  :)

i'll come hell ya leech!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll let some sit out on the counter a couple days and send you guys some. :) 

5 hours ago, smurfy said:

i'll come hell ya leech!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Smurfy now you screwed me out of some green bacon, my Fav! :angry:

Mike89 likes this

8 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

1 green piece for leech and 3 for smurfy ...   he'll be toast

add a little cheese with that Canadian bacon and toast and I,m living the dream!!!!!!!:grin:

RebelSS, Mike89 and leech~~ like this

leech only gets one.  I want him to suffer before he's toast. LOL 

might save some for panfish jim if he doesnt find us some uuuuuge crappies.  

leech~~ likes this

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

leech only gets one.  I want him to suffer before he's toast. LOL 

might save some for panfish jim if he doesnt find us some uuuuuge crappies.  

3409_green-eggs-and-ham.gif

smurfy, Mike89 and eyeguy 54 like this