• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Screws for aluminum

Cooperman

I tried to purchase the screws yetti uses from Fastenal who is their vendor for the screws. They are only sold in large reels designed for a self loading screwgun. I finally called Casey at Glacial lake docks where I purchased my yetti and he sent me out the amount I needed. They work great to add additional fir strips. The plastic used to tie them together comes right off as you screw them in. Hope that helps. 

Thanks all,

Aluminum rivets would work for the furring, if I can find long enough ones. I need to find larger screws to install my D rings for the ATV tie downs. I want them to go through the floor and into the aluminum cross members. The screws Yetti uses look like construction screws, but I've never seen a self tapping construction screw? 

I use to work on all aluminum body fire trucks.  The only screw, bolt, washer, or nut that we would use was stainless steel as the by using anything else will allow electrolysis to start from dissimilar metals and corrode.  Only problem was the strength of the SS is not as high as regular steel.  Also if you are using SS, i would only use bees wax as a lube.  I use to buy it in a block, and just rub the threads on the screw before putting in the hole.  If you don't, you may find that the threads gall up and strip out.  Then you have issues cause it can be tough to drill out a broken SS screw.  If you have a bunch to do, i found that a combination drill/tap was very useful.  It will drill the hole and tap at one shot.  Here is what they look like.  Good luck.

http://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/combination-drill-tap-bits-22082167?cm_mmc=pla:google-_-googleshopping-_-gb5349-_-22082167&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Graybar>PLA>Category&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=fto6JW9w|pcrid|49843833890|pkw||pmt|&gclid=CPzt0MP72tACFYKSfgodC4MH_g

The picture shows a10/32 screw size but i have one that is 1/4 x20.  All depends on how large of screw you want to use.  If you decide to drill and tap holes the regular way make sure to use the correct size bit for the the tap.  Example a 1/4 x 20 tap needs to have a 13/64 hole drilled.  Also use a #2 phillips head screw or hex head, no flat blade as they will just round out if you have to remove them.  Jeff

Edited by jmd1

That is why I like to use the thread cutting screws, no tap required.

Just drill the appropriate size hole and drive home the screw.

Works slick

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fasteners/screws/thread-cutting-screws?r=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~ ~|categoryl2:"600051 Screws"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600067 Thread Cutting Screws"|~

Edited by Snowbound

I agree with the fact that they are nice to use, however if you want SS, then your option might not be the self cutting. I have used both, we call the type you are talking about tec screws. Just depends on how you want it to look i guess.

Here is the p/n of the screws I used from Fastenal.  #0148433  #10 flat head self drilling screw x1-1/4" long.  I'm sure Northern States supply or other places can match them up as well, I have an account and paid about $0.09 each.  Pre drill the wood so it doesn't crack.  I installed with an impact driver.  Try and keep your fir strips straight and at nominal dimensions it sure helps with the second layer of installation.  For reference I used about 350 screws to fir a 8x16 Yetti.

2 hours ago, aczr2k said:

Here is the p/n of the screws I used from Fastenal.  #0148433  #10 flat head self drilling screw x1-1/4" long.  I'm sure Northern States supply or other places can match them up as well, I have an account and paid about $0.09 each.  Pre drill the wood so it doesn't crack.  I installed with an impact driver.  Try and keep your fir strips straight and at nominal dimensions it sure helps with the second layer of installation.  For reference I used about 350 screws to fir a 8x16 Yetti.

Aczr2k,

So zinc plated screws can be used with aluminum?