• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flip over vs hub style house?

Shaun

I bought a Frabill flip over last year, and I am considering selling it this week and buying an Eskimo 949i on sale for $269. Was wondering what people prefer between the two styles? I have never fished in a hub before but like the idea of a lot more fishing space. It is usually either just me or two of us fishing, usually move once or twice each time out. Is the hub portable to move and easy to set up and take down? Just trying to decide if I should keep my Frabill or go with the hub. Thanks for any input!

It really comes down to your preferences in fishing and tactics.  If you're a run an gun type fisherman, your flip style might be a better option.  If you would rather have a solid base camp that you fish out of, a hub is a good option.  I have a quickfish 3 and can usually get holes drilled, tent up and anchored down in about 5 minutes, however, in a howling wind it can be a beast to set up solo.  Once it's set up, it's great to have the extra room, space for a few buddies, and shelter from the elements.

I have a 949i its a nice house but i prefer my otter flip over. Much quicker setup and the way to go if you run and gun. The only time I use the 949i is when I have more people that want to fish that don't have their own gear.

Edited by vtx1029

1 hour ago, Luttes said:

It really comes down to your preferences in fishing and tactics.  If you're a run an gun type fisherman, your flip style might be a better option.  If you would rather have a solid base camp that you fish out of, a hub is a good option.  I have a quickfish 3 and can usually get holes drilled, tent up and anchored down in about 5 minutes, however, in a howling wind it can be a beast to set up solo.  Once it's set up, it's great to have the extra room, space for a few buddies, and shelter from the elements.

That's really what it comes down to. I have both and prefer the flip over just because I'm a more run and gun type of person and it's nice to throw all you gear in the sled and tow it with the wheeler or sled. I also have a hub I very rarely use it but I have it. I spear a lot and the hub is better for that. They both have there pros and cons just have to find what you like and don't like. It also depends on what kind of vehicle you have and space to haul if small car hub is better. A truck a flip over is possible. Hope this helps!

Before my Yetti I used an Eskimo 9416 for 3 seasons when I was in college fishing 4 days a week.  I have nothing bad to say about it and am considering selling my old one and getting the new 9416i for early season fishing.  When the 9416 is set up it is an absolute monster with 110ish sq ft of fishable space but I can carry it on my back no problem.  Being that it is so large it can be a little difficult to set up in windy days but there are tricks that make it much easier and safer.  Even without insulated fabric, a double sunflower heater in it and it kept it toasty warm even.  For example, I was in a sweatshirt still on a cold trip to LOW where it was -28 air temp with a 35mph breeze and 50mph gusts (the worst part was the 10 mile atv/sled drive to our spot). 

The biggest attraction for me for hub vs flip-over is space.  I hate being crammed to 2 holes and trying to fish around a heater.  With my big hub shack I was able to easily fish up to 6 guys in a comfortable lawn chair with arm chairs and a cup holder for my beer.  On days where it was just me and a buddy or two, we'd drill 4 holes per person and all the holes were at least 2-3' away from each other. 

Don't be afraid of longer set-up times and wind issues, after a few times of setting a hub shack up you will get pretty fast and wind won't be an issue.  I never got a drill adaptor for putting stakes in but I could still easily get my shack setup under 5 minutes by myself.  With an adaptor and a smaller 2-3 man hub shack you could put one up in 1 minutes probably.  For windy days you can actually use the wind to help set up.  First step always is to put one stake in the ground slightly upwind of where you want your holes, this is your anchor to make sure you don't go for a short flight.  There are cords on the outside of all the hubs that you attach to stakes to prevent the wind from collapsing the shack.  Once that first stake is in, find one of the ends (since mine was a rectangle, smaller ones are square so you could use any side) and find the cord attached to the hub and place it on the stake.   Now that the shack is anchored down, you can literally set it up like there wasn't any wind.  When the ice gets thick enough you can park your vehicle perpendicular to where you intend to setup to block the wind even more. 

Edited by YettiStyle

If you're getting a hub, I would recommend going with an insulated fabric. As someone mentioned - if you only have a car a hub is the way to go - mine is too long to fit in my trunk though - has to go in the back seat. The drill adapter for putting in the stakes works slick (great stocking stuffer) - especially if you are using a Nils or KDrill or something where you need to bring a drill with anyway.

I noticed Eskimo makes a crossover that combines the two. Could either be the best of both worlds, or the worst. Definitely easier to set up in the wind though:

Edited by Getanet

6 minutes ago, Getanet said:

If you're getting a hub, I would recommend going with an insulated fabric. As someone mentioned - if you only have a car a hub is the way to go - mine is too long to fit in my trunk though - has to go in the back seat. The drill adapter for putting in the stakes works slick (great stocking stuffer) - especially if you are using a Nils or KDrill or something where you need to bring a drill with anyway.

I noticed Eskimo makes a crossover that combines the two. Never used one myself. Could either be the best of both worlds, or the worst:

He's already got a flip. this probably wouldn't be a good solution for him. Yes, I just assumed genders.

8 minutes ago, Luttes said:

He's already got a flip. this probably wouldn't be a good solution for him. Yes, I just assumed genders.

That's a good point, guess I lost track of the original question after reading other responses and thinking of my own situation. However, that new crossover thing does seem to have more room than most 1-man flip overs, and more space is what he was looking for.

As for the hub, I don't know what others recommend, but I would say always go a size bigger than you need. I have a 3-man, and find it fishes two very comfortably. Three people would be pretty tight - at least I set up. I tend to go for comfort and not run/gun.

As was said. It comes down to preference. I like having space to move around inside and don't try and turn fishing into a track meet so the hub is nice. A flip is better mist times for quick moving from spot to spot. On windy days with a flip it's still no walk in the park. Try flipping the top over on glare ice on a windy day. You may want a friend there pushing the "go live" button on Facebook to record the event for posterity.:grin:

And what the heck- no love for the suitcase shack? 

Picking between a hub and flip-over comes down to what you want out of your shelter.  You are much more mobile with a flip-over, but sacrifice some space.  Hubs are great for groups of more than two, but you might not want to move once you're set-up.  If you don't plan on moving much and go out with groups, get a hub.  But if you like to run and gun, stick with the flip-overs.  I myself have a Clam Legend one-man flip-over and picked up a Clam Bigfoot 2000 this year for when I bring out more than just me and a buddy.  I have areas that require lots of moving, but I know spots where I can plant a hub and not much throughout the day.  All comes down to personal preference.

I messed around with a few one man flip overs for several years and loved the idea but hated the reality.  Too small to fish comfortably with too small of a sled to carry everything. Uncomfortable seat.

Bought a small 2 man hub and use that for solo trips now.  Pull everything in a medium otter sled.

Drill two holes, throw my stuff down, set up a comfy camp chair and then pop up the hub and set it down over the top of everything.  It can be a pain in the wind, but that's life.   And it's a few more minutes to get set up and take down, but whatever.  I'm out there to unwind, not stress myself thinking it's a fish race.  And if I want to move, I move, no BFD.

The added comfort of a hub outweighs the added convenience of a flip over, IMO. 

Edited by bobbymalone

I have to admit, a 8x8 hub is very comfortable with all the amenities setup in there -- the heater, the graphs, two holes per person (in MN), the chairs, the buckets, the rod cases, the gear, the extra clothing that you'll strip off -- but those amenities take time to move, and it's a PITA. Once the hub is set up, that's where it's gonna stay for the trip most likely. Hopefully the fish come to you. Too often, they don't.

A flip over, on the other hand, lets you go to the fish, and you'll catch far more fish in one. They're not as warm or as roomy as a hub that's screwed into the ice with a big heater blasting, but how often do you really go fishing in sub-30-degree windchills? Most often, you'll be fishing in 10-20 degree temps with moderate wind, where the warmth advantage of the hub is negated. 

I think it comes down to whether you want to be super comfortable on the ice or if you want to have the best chance of catching a load of fish. I'm out there to catch fish, so I fish flip-overs. I have plenty of comfort at home and a fridge full of beer, and that's where I'll go afterwards. I don't need that on the ice. Besides, a tricked out Fish Trap can be plenty comfortable.

8 hours ago, BeaverIslander said:

A flip over, on the other hand, lets you go to the fish, and you'll catch far more fish in one. They're not as warm or as roomy as a hub that's screwed into the ice with a big heater blasting, but how often do you really go fishing in sub-30-degree windchills? Most often, you'll be fishing in 10-20 degree temps with moderate wind, where the warmth advantage of the hub is negated.

You've never fished in an Otter Pro flip over! Super warm

Another great way to treat a hub shack is as a "base camp".  Get setup on a known good spot and fish for a while.  If nothing is coming your way then go outside and start plugging holes.  If you get cold, hungry, or thirsty you can always make your way back to base camp to relax and warm up.  The breakdown/setup time between a hub and flip-shack really isn't much different personally.  Flips are a bit more convenient for moving but the actual time difference is maybe a minute more for a hub. 

Edited by YettiStyle

I guess I have plenty room in the scout cuz I just use one hole. heater jr sits behind me when needed. mesh seat is really nice for my back. much nicer in the wind. 

It takes about 3 seconds to fip the clam over. It took me longer to do the hub. :)

Both have their place.  I run and gun with my Clam Kenai (flip over, no extending poles) and I have my Vista to use as either a base camp or to get additional people out.  I never run and gun with the hub, too much screwing around.  I have had a hell of a time setting up the hub by myself in the wind too.  If you go with a hub, you will still want a nice sled to pull it around in.