• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drinking while camping

Guest ladylossie

Guest ladylossie

Hi, my husband is going out with a couple of his friends for camping. His friends are alcoholic and often force him to join them. My husband was addicted to alcohol and underwent an alcohol addiction treatment program ( http://edgewoodhealthnetwork.com/locations/bellwood/programs/drug-and-alcohol-program/ ) to recover from that stage. He has never used alcohol after that and the doctor has strictly warned him about his alcohol addiction. I fear that he will start his bad habit again while on the camp. 
I have heard that using colas as a substitute for alcohol can be very effective in controlling the urge for drinking.
Is there anybody who has undergone addiction treatment? How did you manage without using alcohol? Please give some genuine replies and suggestions.

Its not a situation I have personal experience with but have seen some friends/family encounter relateable situations.  I think the biggest thing is that if he's not 100% sure he can stand up to the pressure they'll put on him then he needs to think long and hard about what situations he subjects himself to.  He may really want to go on the trip but he'll need to be brutally honest with himself as to whether he can abstain from alcohol during the entire trip while everyone around him is trying to force him to drink. In my mind it wouldn't be a good idea to go but I don't know him or his convictions so i can't answer for him. 

There may be different substitutes for alcohol and I'm sure its different for each person what they like.  However, I doubt they'll be that effective if he's got a group of guys mocking him for his choice and trying to get him to drink the entire time.

I also agree that if these guys are trying to force him to drink then they aren't very good friends and probably aren't worth spending time.  I'd rather go on a camping trip by myself and actually enjoy it rather than spending time with a bunch of drunk a holes.

29 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Hi ladylossie Welcome to HSO. Hey do you know havynan? also from Canada. I guess she had some kind of Breast augmentation questions and issues?  :confused:

Oh well, hope your hubby can man up and tell the boys to kiss off! Good Luck. ;)

I think the only time alcohol would be a problem is if they were trolling. 

Tea's, there are many native teas that help with any offset in the chemical make up of the body, or "addiction". Labrador tea, wintergreen tea, and cedar tea have been used as a dependency alternative. It best works if harvested fresh and used with a little belief in it :)

If he believes in his sobriety, don't give him any grief. Give him confidence that he will get through the weekend without a hitch :) 

24 minutes ago, JigSawJimmy said:

Nose beers is usually a good substitute.

As if you can't stand up to your pals with the hooch, might as well get to the getting and take your medicine in a gulp not a sip.

And expedite the final outcome a little faster.

Disclaimer -

**advice for those that just can't be saved**

***proper spam response ***

I'll drink to that.