• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are we going to fish first?

Naturboy

Ok I put the boat away, put up the Christmas lights and now I'm waiting for ICE. Most times I go fishing and decide where to go as I start driving, but I do have a good idea where I'll end up. This is the perfect time of the year to brose around the Minnesota Lake Finder page to find that new lake that will be your next honey hole. Just like Santa I'm making my list and checking it twice.

I think first time wetting the lines this year will be URL on 12/16.  15 day looks terrific (finally).  Who knows, might even be able to pull the castle out by then.

On the flip side, I don't think we'll see enough ice before then down in the cities to do a local first-outing.

I've got some good early ice spots here in the Det Lakes area.  I am a crappie guy so I go out to some bigger lakes on some reed lined bays that freeze over......and some smaller lakes that should be good in 10 days or so with the cold snap coming.  I normally fish shallower on early ice around the remaining green weeds in that 8-10ft depth and do well.  Heck, my one spot in the bay of a bigger lake between 2 reed beds that make it wind protected I will be on 2-3" of ice (if good clear ice) and within 20 yds there is open water out on the main lake...but I'm braver (or not as smart) than most :blush:

Most small ponds around here froze a week or so ago but warm with rain today so that is not good...we just need cold nights with no wind!

6 hours ago, RiverChuckNorris said:

I think first time wetting the lines this year will be URL on 12/16.  15 day looks terrific (finally).  Who knows, might even be able to pull the castle out by then.

On the flip side, I don't think we'll see enough ice before then down in the cities to do a local first-outing.

That's the same plan for me hoping enough to get the castle out! Fingers crossed!

I'll fish the Grand Rapids and Iron Range lakes earlier on for panfish. I'm looking forward to LOTW walleyes and Mille lacs, with this weather the ladder of the two probably won't be till after the first of the year.

Kettle

Got out for my first ice trip yesterday on a small lake here in the Black Hills.  Only 3", but glass clear and hard.  Only a week later than usual.  Other smaller lakes should be getting more inches as we speak.  Larger lakes may take another week or two.

December 9th/10th there will be a lot of ice fishing in central and northern MN.  It's only going to take a couple days to freeze things up really good.    

It's funny how worked up people are this year over a seemingly normal winter.  I agree it seems warm, but I've fished in the Brainerd area every year for the last 14-15, the 2nd weekend of December.  This year is going to be cutting it close, but I think it's going to happen!  The forecast looks wonderful!  We just need the snow to cooperate, and the rumor is there is a big one on the horizon.  

A small lake about 3 miles from deer camp, max depth in lake is 8' and it's loaded with 22" to 26" pike. Great Lake to start the spearing season out on due to it developing good ice faster than the bigger deeper lakes. This size fish works great for my pickling recipe that I make and bring to the family x mas gatherings.

Looking like we may make it out by the 15th???????? Cross your fingers.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'm thinking Shields Lake in southern MN might be a good one to hit. There is a secret spot where those huge crappies hang out and an occasional bull bluegill will hit.

Also thinking the Willow Lake SD area is a good one to hit for big perch and walleyes.

31 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm thinking Shields Lake in southern MN might be a good one to hit. There is a secret spot where those huge crappies hang out and an occasional bull bluegill will hit.

Also thinking the Willow Lake SD area is a good one to hit for big perch and walleyes.

What time will you be swinging by to pick me up? I'll get the bait.;)

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Not sure how close I live to Firebase Rolling Thunder but I do have a dog named Zeus. :) milliexmacks2014.jpg

He's the boy front and center. He is a couple years older now :) 

Paul Waldowski's Dazzie is just above him.

41 minutes ago, Rick said:

Fished Shields lake for years growing up with my buddy that had a cabin on it. Nothing but big Bullheads! :(

But, if you have a secret spot for big crappies? :)

58 minutes ago, Rick said:

The bullheads are no longer in their glory days in the Southern MN lakes. Not sure what happened to them as they were fun and good eating too. :D 

Well I wouldn't say what my buddies Dad would say about all the folks that stayed at the resort on the other end of the lake from his cabin.

Something about taking all the bullheads back to Iowa! ;)