Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Naturboy

Where are we going to fish first?

Ok I put the boat away, put up the Christmas lights and now I'm waiting for ICE. Most times I go fishing and decide where to go as I start driving, but I do have a good idea where I'll end up. This is the perfect time of the year to brose around the Minnesota Lake Finder page to find that new lake that will be your next honey hole. Just like Santa I'm making my list and checking it twice.

I think first time wetting the lines this year will be URL on 12/16.  15 day looks terrific (finally).  Who knows, might even be able to pull the castle out by then.

On the flip side, I don't think we'll see enough ice before then down in the cities to do a local first-outing.

I've got some good early ice spots here in the Det Lakes area.  I am a crappie guy so I go out to some bigger lakes on some reed lined bays that freeze over......and some smaller lakes that should be good in 10 days or so with the cold snap coming.  I normally fish shallower on early ice around the remaining green weeds in that 8-10ft depth and do well.  Heck, my one spot in the bay of a bigger lake between 2 reed beds that make it wind protected I will be on 2-3" of ice (if good clear ice) and within 20 yds there is open water out on the main lake...but I'm braver (or not as smart) than most :blush:

Most small ponds around here froze a week or so ago but warm with rain today so that is not good...we just need cold nights with no wind!

6 hours ago, RiverChuckNorris said:

I think first time wetting the lines this year will be URL on 12/16.  15 day looks terrific (finally).  Who knows, might even be able to pull the castle out by then.

On the flip side, I don't think we'll see enough ice before then down in the cities to do a local first-outing.

That's the same plan for me hoping enough to get the castle out! Fingers crossed!

I'll fish the Grand Rapids and Iron Range lakes earlier on for panfish. I'm looking forward to LOTW walleyes and Mille lacs, with this weather the ladder of the two probably won't be till after the first of the year.

Kettle

Got out for my first ice trip yesterday on a small lake here in the Black Hills.  Only 3", but glass clear and hard.  Only a week later than usual.  Other smaller lakes should be getting more inches as we speak.  Larger lakes may take another week or two.

December 9th/10th there will be a lot of ice fishing in central and northern MN.  It's only going to take a couple days to freeze things up really good.    

It's funny how worked up people are this year over a seemingly normal winter.  I agree it seems warm, but I've fished in the Brainerd area every year for the last 14-15, the 2nd weekend of December.  This year is going to be cutting it close, but I think it's going to happen!  The forecast looks wonderful!  We just need the snow to cooperate, and the rumor is there is a big one on the horizon.  

A small lake about 3 miles from deer camp, max depth in lake is 8' and it's loaded with 22" to 26" pike. Great Lake to start the spearing season out on due to it developing good ice faster than the bigger deeper lakes. This size fish works great for my pickling recipe that I make and bring to the family x mas gatherings.

Looking like we may make it out by the 15th???????? Cross your fingers.

Metigoshe... or somewhere else over in ND is always hit first. Around here after this week some of the ponds that hold fish will start locking up, the overnight temps look ideal for ice building. 

I'm thinking Shields Lake in southern MN might be a good one to hit. There is a secret spot where those huge crappies hang out and an occasional bull bluegill will hit.

Also thinking the Willow Lake SD area is a good one to hit for big perch and walleyes.

31 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm thinking Shields Lake in southern MN might be a good one to hit. There is a secret spot where those huge crappies hang out and an occasional bull bluegill will hit.

Also thinking the Willow Lake SD area is a good one to hit for big perch and walleyes.

What time will you be swinging by to pick me up? I'll get the bait.;)

Not sure how close I live to Firebase Rolling Thunder but I do have a dog named Zeus. :) milliexmacks2014.jpg

He's the boy front and center. He is a couple years older now :) 

Paul Waldowski's Dazzie is just above him.

41 minutes ago, Rick said:

Fished Shields lake for years growing up with my buddy that had a cabin on it. Nothing but big Bullheads! :(

But, if you have a secret spot for big crappies? :)

I got bullheads there, too...and some assorted panfish. That's about it. Did better on Mazaska.  Where you that guy in the boat who kept swearing and slinging bullheads across the water?! :P

The bullheads are no longer in their glory days in the Southern MN lakes. Not sure what happened to them as they were fun and good eating too. :D 

My Dad and I would come home with a 5 gal pail FULL of 'em in the late 70's, and deep fry up a huge platter of 'em. Danged good eatin'! The platter was always empty at meals end...

58 minutes ago, Rick said:

The bullheads are no longer in their glory days in the Southern MN lakes. Not sure what happened to them as they were fun and good eating too. :D 

Well I wouldn't say what my buddies Dad would say about all the folks that stayed at the resort on the other end of the lake from his cabin.

Something about taking all the bullheads back to Iowa! ;)