• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

College Student Performing Research: Help Required

GeorgeA

Hey guys! I'm a senior at Indiana University in a business competition at my school who believes great fishing experiences shouldn’t have to happen by chance. Please give me your opinion on how you plan fishing trips. This 1 page, 12 question Google Forms survey takes 2-3 min to complete. Your answers about key features that are important to you when selecting a trip & captain (such as, fishing types, fish species, captain specialty, and boat) will help in the development of a page that matches anglers with great captains in customized, memorable fishing experiences. Thanks for your time!  :) Happy catches. Google Forms Survey: How can anglers find more memorable fishing experiences?

Well here's a few issues in the Survey.

Are you considering fishing with a guide/captain within the next: This section has No-No box to check.

6 months

1 year

2 years

When/If you go fishing with a guide/captain do you: (select all that apply) * Then the next two questions state When/If you go....

already have a location in mind (for example: the Florida Keys or Florida Everglades)

already have a preference for how you want to fish (for example: Fly or Offshore )

already have an idea of what fish you're targeting (for example: Mahi Mahi or Wahoo)

Corporate America has found surveys with more than 5 questions, each having 5 choices max 1=Bad 5=Outstanding, are ineffective. In todays fast passed computer world, people won't answer long complex surveys. Another method of advertising, which seems to be effective, may be social media. My Brother is a Charter Captain out of Cortez Florida, primarily Gulf of Mexico Off-Shore charter. They use Facebook and soon Twitter. If the seas are less than 4' and it's not heavily raining the boat is out fishing. Here is a link to the "Double Trouble" charter face book page. Pictures enhance business sales. You might consider changing your direction to a short survey that will lead clients to some social picture filled sales media. Its a bit more work, but could lead to an oh-wow in your competition challenge.

https://www.facebook.com/cortezfishing/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

16 minutes ago, papadarv said:

Corporate America has found surveys with more than 5 questions, each having 5 choices max 1=Bad 5=Outstanding, are ineffective. In todays fast passed computer world, people won't answer long complex surveys. Another method of advertising, which seems to be effective, may be social media. My Brother is a Charter Captain out of Cortez Florida, primarily Gulf of Mexico Off-Shore charter. They use Facebook and soon Twitter. If the seas are less than 4' and it's not heavily raining the boat is out fishing. Here is a link to the "Double Trouble" charter face book page. Pictures enhance business sales. You might consider changing your direction to a short survey that will lead clients to some social picture filled sales media. Its a bit more work, but could lead to an oh-wow in your competition challenge.

papa, your brother is missing a critical part in his web site marketing.  :lol:

FB_IMG_1479601635261.jpg_thumb.png

12 minutes ago, papadarv said:

Not really. Looks like the chick he had out a couple weeks ago. Brother is the guy with the beard holding the other Grouper she caught on Facebook page. 

image.jpeg

Um, I think you missed the point above. It's not the fish! ;)

I think sometimes we on HSO are a bit gullible and can't spot a marketing ploy when it's right in front of us. This post may not be about a "College Student Performing Research" at all, but a good way to get around the site vendor rules and highlight their web page! :whistle:;) 

www.fishfishme.com

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Never noticed the web page, but I punted the survey about half way through since none of the answers fit me.

About half way through the only one highlighted on the page. As in, Click Me!  ;)

Edited by leech~~

11 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I think sometimes we on HSO are a bit gullible and can't spot a marketing ploy when it's right in front of us. This post may not be about a "College Student Performing Research" at all, but a good way to get around the site vendor rules and highlight their web page! :whistle:;) 

www.fishfishme.com

Hey Leech,

I'm Nick, George's cofounder. Let me just debunk this really quickly...no we do not work on fishfishme, fishingbooker, or shareafishingcharter. I think they are literally the classic example of someone just trying to make a middleman page that doesn't make fishing more accessible to anyone or really even help the businesses.

It is a "marketing ploy" I guess in the sense, that yes we would like to get some emails, such that when we launch we have some people to test and give us feedback. However, its intention is to strengthen our case for several business competitions as it is extremely important to have customer feedback that isn't just based off the feedback of a couple friends that fish or your own intuition. I go to Purdue University, and there are three separate competitions this will go towards.

I used to work in marketing helping charter fishing companies figure out how to get customers from the web and found that they ran into an insane number of organizational problems that held them back from any success. My true passion really lies in helping these captains focus just on the fishing(their real passion) rather than navigating through all of google's hoops.

I truly only want your insights so I can build a product that you would actually use. I'd be happy to jump on the phone with you, if you are willing. We are always looking for experienced anglers we can bounce our ideas off of.

12 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

I've written a lot of surveys over the years working in marketing and this one had some major problems.  The data obtained is going to be almost worthless so I hope no real decisions are going to be based on the results.

I would really like to talk to you about this, we consulted with a variety of people including PhD's who had conducted tons of academic research so we thought we did our homework correctly on this one. If you would be willing It'd be great to exchange emails/phone numbers.

13 hours ago, papadarv said:

I'm trying to figure out what you mean here. Our survey isn't designed to sell trips. It's designed to evaluate the usefulness of some of the features we've dreamed up and then set those alongside age/experience demographics. I do agree pictures are hugely important and facebook seems to be a growing source for charter traffic.

Also, I differ a bit with my cofounder here (LOL) in that I wanted to opt for more like a 5 question push button survey only and change up the questions every 100-200 responses or so. I hate wasting my time and I wanted to show you that we value yours.

On 11/27/2016 at 6:16 PM, Jim Uran said:

I just took the survey as if I were to be looking for a guide sometime. Maybe use different wording in your post because that's what you are looking for, also switch up the experience timeline a bit, it's laughable lol. 

What would you suggest for the experience wording? 

On 11/27/2016 at 8:05 PM, leech~~ said:

Well here's a few issues in the Survey.

Are you considering fishing with a guide/captain within the next: This section has No-No box to check.

6 months

1 year

2 years

When/If you go fishing with a guide/captain do you: (select all that apply) * Then the next two questions state When/If you go....

already have a location in mind (for example: the Florida Keys or Florida Everglades)

already have a preference for how you want to fish (for example: Fly or Offshore )

already have an idea of what fish you're targeting (for example: Mahi Mahi or Wahoo)

I'll try and take a look at this on our next revamp.

On 11/27/2016 at 5:55 PM, delcecchi said:

Sorry, I tried but the survey presumes you are going to book a trip with a guide which at the moment I have no plans to do.  

Many people fish on their own most of the time. 

So we've been thinking about this and I understand a lot of people don't fish with a guide all the time. Kind of a couple of times a lifetime thing for some people. Would love to talk to you at some point about a few other things we are looking at centering around bait shops, gear rental, suggestions, etc. We basically want to become a really great resource for people looking to get involved in the wide world of fishing or helping experienced anglers who already know what they want to get it more efficiently.

For example, one idea we've tossed around is for someone like yourself on a forum who has likely recommended quite a few things for people such as gear, guides, locations, bait shops, etc. We could essentially reward you for the knowledge and active participation that you already give away for free and basically allow you to accrue credit you could apply towards your own gear purchases, trips, etc. By helping other people, they help you.

Again, that's just an idea though. There may be some drawbacks in that some people may recommend things in a self-serving way, so many details ethically will have to be looked at. Again we're just trying to make fishing experiences better by arming anglers with information.

1 hour ago, Nick S said:

I would really like to talk to you about this, we consulted with a variety of people including PhD's who had conducted tons of academic research so we thought we did our homework correctly on this one. If you would be willing It'd be great to exchange emails/phone numbers.

I'll send you a private message with a few quick thoughts.

1 hour ago, Nick S said:

Hey Leech,

I'm Nick, George's cofounder. Let me just debunk this really quickly...no we do not work on fishfishme, fishingbooker, or shareafishingcharter. I think they are literally the classic example of someone just trying to make a middleman page that doesn't make fishing more accessible to anyone or really even help the businesses.

It is a "marketing ploy" I guess in the sense, that yes we would like to get some emails, such that when we launch we have some people to test and give us feedback. However, its intention is to strengthen our case for several business competitions as it is extremely important to have customer feedback that isn't just based off the feedback of a couple friends that fish or your own intuition. I go to Purdue University, and there are three separate competitions this will go towards.

I used to work in marketing helping charter fishing companies figure out how to get customers from the web and found that they ran into an insane number of organizational problems that held them back from any success. My true passion really lies in helping these captains focus just on the fishing(their real passion) rather than navigating through all of google's hoops.

I truly only want your insights so I can build a product that you would actually use. I'd be happy to jump on the phone with you, if you are willing. We are always looking for experienced anglers we can bounce our ideas off of.

Hey that's not the 2016 Clapp IDEA Business Plan Competition is it?

Edited by leech~~

8 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Hey that's not the 2016 Clapp IDEA Business Plan Competition is it?

That will be one of the one's we will be competing in yes. Schurz at Purdue on the 8th of Dec. is the first.

4 minutes ago, Nick S said:

That will be one of the one's we will be competing in yes. Schurz at Purdue on the 8th of Dec. is the first.

Well oddly the 2016 Clapp IDEA Business Plan Competition seems to be over and since GeorgeA posted this "Hey guys! I'm a senior at Indiana University in a business competition. He must be competing in the 2017 spring competition. Right? ;)

Important Dates:

Registration – due February 11th by 11:59 pm
Business Plan – due February 25th by 11:59 pm
Finalists Notified – March 4th
Final Presentation Slide Deck – due April 7th by 5pm
IDEA Competition Presentations – April 8th 

Also Nick you stated this "I used to work in marketing helping charter fishing companies" are you back at Purdue getting your Masters now? :confused:

I Wish you guys from competing Colleges Indiana and Purdue well in the Competitions or own Out Door web site your trying to start. :)