• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinion ~ Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer

I don't own a turkey fryer but have borrowed them a few times over the years.  I really like the finished product but the additional cost of the peanut oil and the clean-up never made me pull the trigger on one of my own.  This year I've seen more talk about Char-Broil's Big Easy, in fact in the last couple of days I've been following a thread on another forum about them and I'm close to pulling the trigger.  Although these cookers don't add any smoky flavor I'm thinking they might have a spot in my arsenal of outdoor cookers.  Accessories include hanging racks for drumsticks, ribs and a rack for roasts or two chickens.  If anyone has one of these I'd love to hear pro's and con's.  So far Amazon has the best deals, but with the holiday sales and all some local stores might put them on sale too.

I did another Deep fried Turkey for Thanks giving which was great but with the cost of oil going out of sight, I may give one of these a good think! Or start using cheap motor oil to cook with!! :lol:

There is also an electric one sold at HD store.

Masterbuilt 20100809 Butterball Oil-Free Electric Turkey Fryer and Roaster

by Masterbuilt

Now which one to buy? I guess with propane you can always bring it up camping without power?

Here is a thread that reviews both brands: http://www.thehealthykitchenshop.com/oil-less-turkey-fryer-comparison-chart/

I do like the cover and smoker box on the Electric one though. What to do? Huum.

Edited by leech~~

18 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I did another Deep fried Turkey for Thanks giving which was great but with the cost of oil going out of sight, I may give one of these a good think! Or start using cheap motor oil to cook with!! :lol:

i'd recommend the synthetic oil!!!!!!!!!!:grin::P

Absolutely love my big easy oilers fryer.

About 10 minutes per pound for turkey and it turns out amazing. love not having to buy oil!

Just did a 5 lb rib roast, took about 2 hours and took roast off at 125 degrees. turned out great.

Also cooked  chicken and ribs on it. very good.

Get one. you will love it!

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:06 AM, thirdeye said:

I can see the advantage to propane over electricity just for the portability factor, and I would think flame over an element would be more reliable.

My FIL has one and uses it non-stop. He does turkeys all summer long...up at camp, no electricity? No problem. You can do way more than just turkeys, too. He's even "air fried" fish that came out great. Various roasts, etc., delicious. And as you have already figured out by the price point, it'll pay for itself just in oil savings alone. Turkeys come out so close to deep fried that I can't tell the difference personally. Pull the trigger--it's a great toy for your arsenal!

First I have heard of them too.  My brother has done a few turkeys in peanut oil and they were the best turkeys I have ever had. I was raving about it being the best I ever had and then like a dumb__s I realized there is my mother.    Oh Oh.  She  always does the Thanksgiving turkey.  They are good too.... 

1 minute ago, LindellProStaf said:

First I have heard of them too.  My brother has done a few turkeys in peanut oil and they were the best turkeys I have ever had. I was raving about it being the best I ever had and then like a dumb__s I realized there is my mother.    Oh Oh.  She  always does the Thanksgiving turkey.  They are good too.... 

Bahaha, great-your not the Fav kid anymore either!  :lol:

Well, after hearing about them here, I did some research online and determined that I didn't need one, but would really like one of these :)  So what do you do when you want but don't need??? You put on your xmas list and hope Santa think's you've been a good boy.  Well, I must've been a good boy, because I got one!

It will probably be a while before I break it out, but when I do I'll report on it first hand.

2 hours ago, ThunderLund78 said:

Well, after hearing about them here, I did some research online and determined that I didn't need one, but would really like one of these :)  So what do you do when you want but don't need??? You put on your xmas list and hope Santa think's you've been a good boy.  Well, I must've been a good boy, because I got one!

It will probably be a while before I break it out, but when I do I'll report on it first hand.

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

I got one too from the kids, I too was thinking the same as you!

I'd like to hear any reports after you guys try yours out.  One of my local big box stores was a little misleading, the BBQ section sales guy mentioned a sale right before Christmas... Come to find out he was confused and that didn't happen, so I'm still looking for the best deal.

Anyone have any more info on these units. I am thinking it might be worth a try.  I am pretty sure it wont be quite the same as a fried turkey but for the cost of the oil it might be worth it.  I figure the insurance company must be getting a kick back from the turkey fryer people since the cost of oil is getting ridiculous.  Local Walmart has the master-built electric unit for $66.00.  

Butterball Electric Oil-Free Turkey Roaster and Fryer, 18 lb. Capacity

18 minutes ago, Blackhawkxp said:

Anyone have any more info on these units. I am thinking it might be worth a try.  I am pretty sure it wont be quite the same as a fried turkey but for the cost of the oil it might be worth it.  I figure the insurance company must be getting a kick back from the turkey fryer people since the cost of oil is getting ridiculous.  Local Walmart has the master-built electric unit for $66.00.  

Butterball Electric Oil-Free Turkey Roaster and Fryer, 18 lb. Capacity

Is that at the store or on-line sales?

You may want to grab that because I just looked it up and it says this.

Edited by leech~~