• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spear house question

MCI

My dad and I are thinking of going in on an aluminum skid spear house together.  We are thinking of a 6'x10' with two spear holes so two people can spear at the same time.

We can't decide if we should have the holes next to each other or kitty corner from each other.

I figured I would toss this out to the group for first hand experience.

6'x10', good or bad size. why?

two spear holes, good or bad idea?

Any must haves or don't do this suggestions?

My thought is to have 2 round covers inside each rectangle spear hole door so the house can be used for angling or spearing.

Sounds like some OK ideas there.  I'll just say you might want to consider how easy it will be to move around inside and where the two of you prefer to sit.

Sometimes it is fun to sit across from one another over the same hole though.  It's comfy and you're watching opposite sides of the hole - which can seem like entirely different water.

:2c:

I have a 4 X 6 collapsible house I put 2 holes in. there side by side and like it that way. my brother did his opposite, but he had 2 doors also. if you only have one door I could see it being a mess with holes opposite each other. just my 2 cents!!!!!

My big house is 6x8. I have a 30"x48" hole in the center. 4 people can very comfortably set around it and spear.

One thing to consider is two holes is twice the work. Not a huge deal it just eats up a little more time every time you go out.

When I'm trying to determine what size to build something I lay everything out with masking tape on the garage floor. 

16 minutes ago, MJ1657 said:

My big house is 6x8. I have a 30"x48" hole in the center. 4 people can very comfortably set around it and spear.

One thing to consider is two holes is twice the work. Not a huge deal it just eats up a little more time every time you go out.

When I'm trying to determine what size to build something I lay everything out with masking tape on the garage floor. 

MJ, question? How do you figure cutting a 30 x 48 hole is less work then 2 smaller separate holes??:confused: just curious!

I guess if you're going to cut two 15x24 holes it's the same amount of work.

That's a small hole to spear out. I know some guys do cut fairly small holes. 

I guess to be fair I should have asked the op what size holes they plan on having. 

Like I stated earlier not a big deal just something to think about. 

I have a 4x8 with one 30x44 hole in the center.  I have not used it yet but there is room for two on opposite sides of the hole with a door in the center.  I think it is going to work well even though last year I used a bigger hole in a hub house.  This is only for spearing though.  

Thanks for the in sight thus far guys.

hole size; I learned to spear from my dad and he learned from his dad. All three of us have done so through a 2'x2' hole. I personally like that size hole. I have a friend that has a 2'x4' hole, I've speared with him in his house and found myself letting the spear go at an angle because the fish wasn't in the hole all the way and missing. I fine with a 2'x2' hole the fish has to be more centered before I let the spear go. Maybe its more of what you cut your teeth on and are used to???

Good point smurfy on the two door idea, that would be slick.

We are considering going to look at some 6'x10' houses already built and toss out floor plan layouts while inside.

6'x10' will fit perfectly in a low floor aluminum ramp trailer we have with a ramp tail gate, so the size has been determined all ready.

Now we have to decide on hole, door, window and light placement.

I had an older guy once tell me that the inside of his spear house has always been white.  Windows covered of course.  He said it is light in the house due to the light from the ice and he could even read most days.  He said as long as there is no shadows you are ok.   I thought this was interesting.

53 minutes ago, LindellProStaf said:

I had an older guy once tell me that the inside of his spear house has always been white.  Windows covered of course.  He said it is light in the house due to the light from the ice and he could even read most days.  He said as long as there is no shadows you are ok.   I thought this was interesting.

Us "older" ice guys believe that applies to any ice fishing,....especially on cloudy days when on the ice without a shelter, because shadows are more prevalent  everywhere on sunny days. Heard this many years ago. And we were taught to ALWAYS have inside of house black.  So was said.  :crazy:

http://www.liveoutdoors.com/fishing/226767-darkhouse-ice-spearing-basics/

I have a buddy who built a double hole house and he never ever cuts the second hole. My thinking is if a fish will come into a decoy in one of the holes it will come to the decoy in the other hole too so it may be more beneficial to you to have one large hole that you can both watch together.

I have a 4'x8' perm with a 30"x45" center hole and it is perfect for two people to sit across from one another and talk face to face but the biggest advantage is the pike can't sneak up on you since every side is being watched by someone. 

My portable setup is close to 8'x8' and I have a 30"x50" hole that goes diagonally in my floor I built for it and I have enough room for 1 person on every side of that hole and its great for large groups or taking people who haven't ever been out before. 

I've always speared from bigger holes, I tried a friends house once that had a 2'x3' hole in a 4x6 house and I hated it. I had a few fish on the edge of the hole that wouldn't commit and I couldn't make any angle shots on them because I didn't have the space.