Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

monstermoose78

Help!!

11 posts in this topic

Looking to get a family member a bird book that has all the birds of Minnesota and includes birds that migrate through. Any great idea people?

Birds of Minnesota,  Midwestern Birds, We have one called Field Guide to the birds. Old book and a dandy but lottsa birds. 

I don't have it but we gave one to a friend as a gift. It's called "Birds of MN Field Guide-2nd Edition" by Stan Tekiela. Looked like something you might be interested in. Another one might be "Wild About MN Birds" by Adele Porter. Have not seen this one personally but might be worth a look. I have a couple Sibley's, a Peterson and a Birds of North America. As you say, they include a lot of stuff we don't routinely see although that's one of the reasons I have them.We see oddballs from time to time. 

eyeguy 54 likes this

I second the Birds of Minnesota book by Stan Tekiela.  We use ours all the time to ID birds.  

monstermoose78 likes this

Stan's book is good for year round birds. The problem is when you want to ID something you don't recognize and you don't find it in the book and its passing thru. I first bought Stan's and then got a Sibley's. Now I have 3 on my  phone and now have the ability to hear all of the types of calls as well as pictures and different ways to start IDing by size, color or shape.

Something fun we do is put a small dot with magic marker by the bird in the book when we see the bird. 

Just birds we have seen in the yard.