• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Doe permit muzzleloader?

From the regs-

Regular muzzleloader license—any hunter can buy a muzzleloader license, including people who have purchased a firearm license.
The license is valid for either-sex deer in any hunter choice, managed, or intensive area. In lottery areas, you must have an either-sex permit to take an antlerless deer.

Your regular firearms doe permit for a lottery area is NOT good during the muzzleloader season. You would have to have applied for a muzzleloader doe permit by purchasing your ML license prior to the doe permit application deadline too. In the case of someone getting a doe permit for both the regular firearms season AND the muzzy season, you would have had to choose which season you wanted a doe permit for. You can not use both in a lottery area. Not sure how you were suppose to designate that, but that's the way it reads.

Edited by Satchmo

I know it used to be that an antlerless permit was good for both firearm and ML; I know because I called DNR and asked. I don't see that the laws have changed in looking at the regulations. HOWEVER, my nephew and I hunt both firearms and ML and what was weird this year was that my nephew got TWO permits in the mail with his two licenses. I haven't seen the two permits side by side, but he swears they're identical. I know  lottery area means only one deer, period, so maybe they are looking at the two seasons separately for permits.

I should add that we moved out of the lottery area and into a Hunter Choice area, so it doesn't matter now, but I may send an e-mail to DNR when we get back to find out what's up.

Edit: they normally spotlight changes at the front of the regulations and I don't recall ever seeing that spotlighted as a change.

Edited by cavalierowner

By this statement in the regs, I guess I would interpret that a permit issued for a zone would be valid for either muzzle or firearms.  I am not a muzzleloader so I have not paid close attention before but they sure could  (should) make it clearer is this is not the case.

Successful applicants will receive a postcard in the mail authorizing them to take an either-sex deer using their regular license in that lottery deerarea.The authorization will be valid for both the firearm or muzzleloader season; however, you must still have a valid license for that season.

Thanks TDH, it appears I stand corrected. Looks like the permit IS good for either season. Would be nice if they put that info in the antlerless permit application area. It says you can apply for both a firearms & muzzleloader antlerless permit if you buy both lic before the deadline. This appears to give guys twice the chance at drawing one.