• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fermented Sausage

On 11/23/2016 at 7:52 PM, delcecchi said:

How about a light bulb for heat?   Pick the right wattage, 25, 40, 60 etc.   Even a dimmer if necessary. 

Just lay it on the bottom of the smoker and run the cord out. 

Dang right, Del!!! It powered millions of Suzy Homemaker ovens, didn't it?  :grin:

On 11/26/2016 at 4:56 PM, bobberineyes said:

Running a treble light is a great idea. The 6" smoker tube in my big grill will put it at about 100 degrees , what about the tray that lasts upwards of 12 hrs? or maybe that's too much cold smoke for some.

Do those treble lights hum at a higher pitch?

Thunderbird......I made some summer sausage and some salami. 5lbs. of each. For the 2 sticks of summer sausage I used your recipe but used 3 oz of powdered buttermilk, instead of the Bactoferm LHP. They are now in the fridge for 2 days to ferment. Then in the smoker on Saturday. Your recipe comes from Rytak Kutas's book on making all kinds of meats.

It is the one labeled Venison Summer Sausage. It is exactly the same but uses 3 0z of Fermento for 5 lbs. I believe Kutas owned Sausage Maker out of Buffalo NY. I bought it from them a long time ago and it is still the sausage making bible.

We will see how it turns out on Sunday after smoking and overnight cooling.

summer sausage.jpg

Salami ready to eat. 1/2 goose.....1/2 beef. Much firmer than using pork.Love this seasoning. Garlic, smoke and peppercorns. I always add extra garlic to it. Lately I have gone to using powdered smoke. 1 tsp. per pound of meat. Gives me a consistent flavor every time. No guessing how much smoke to have. Also allows to use the oven inside instead of out in the cold.

Summer sausage in the oven now while I watch football.

salami.jpg

This turned out just the way I wanted. A mild tangy flavor. Using powdered buttermilk as a fermenter. And allowing it to work by putting it into the fridge for 2 days before cooking.

Edited by KEN W