• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ion x

Billy G

I picked one up about two months ago as I was looking for something to replace my 20 year old strike-master.  Just got a new ice house (8x16) and decided to give the ION a try.  The 3 to 4 people that I talked to that had the older series had nothing but good things to say about it.  And now with the 5 A/H battery I decided I would go for it.   Luckily for me I was able to find one online as someone had won it at a raffle and didn't want it and I couldn't pass up the deal.  He said he had tons of phone calls on it but I was the first to be able to go get it immediately.   I still have my old gas auger for a backup if needed.      I would look at the upcoming sportsman shows - you might be able to save some money there or get some stuff thrown in - like a battery case.   I might get the 10" auger for it yet for the fish house.

I believe the 10in hole that he is talking of for his wheel house has to do more with the ice holes freezing down when it's really cold. Starting with a 10in and having it freeze down to 8in takes quite awhile vs comparing an 8in and having it freeze down to a 6in.

Now if the holes keep open boiling water and dumping it in the hole really works well to open the hole back up. What is hard though  is keeping a hole open when you leave for a few days.

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

I bought the Ion X last week from Dakota Angler in Sioux Falls for the going $629.99 that everybody is asking. Todd picked up the sales tax ($35) and threw in a new pair of blades ($35-$40) so I was pretty satisfied with that. Looking forward to using it in the new future.

22 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

What are you fishing for that your thinking about the 10"?  I've heard they can be a hassle and reduce holes drilled.  Have pulled 36+ through an 8" hole no problem.

it would be just for the permanent fish house.  Once you get the transducer in the hole it is nice to fish out of a 10" hole.  But yes I have always fished out of a 8" hole.   I would only get the 10" if I can get a good price on one at a sport show.  Maybe even the older style ones as I would only be opening 6 to 8 holes in my wheel house.

On 11/17/2016 at 11:03 AM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

I have the first (pre reverse) generation ION and absolutely love it.  I may upgrade to the X.  The longer battery life means I'd easily be able to get rid of the gas auger (that has barely left the garage in 3 years+). 

The guy at Scheels told me the new battery fits the old model augers.  I've got the original Ion as well and asked about it.  Verify, but that's what I was told.