Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

  • Announcements

    • Rick

      Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

      Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
cavalierowner

Hearing aids in the woods

Recommended Posts

For those of you who wear hearing aids, do you wear them in the woods hunting? I have hearing aids, but have never worn them in the woods hunting. I'm always afraid of losing one, especially if my ears get cold and get numb so I can't feel them. I was told by the audiologist at the VA that these are worth about $7,000 for the pair and the VA only replaces them something like every 8 years if I recall. It's been years since I've heard a deer in the woods; I have to rely on seeing it move. If you wear hearing aids, any tips or advice? I'm thinking about wearing them this year for muzzle loader season, but only in the stand.

 

My hearing isn't terrible awful, but it's become quite a game with my hunting buddies to see who can sneak up the closest to me before I hear them LOL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

use them and thanks for your service.  I joined in 71

I was in 69 to 71. Being next to the artillery in Vietnam is what did my hearing in. Thank you for your service too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cavalierowner said:

For those of you who wear hearing aids, do you wear them in the woods hunting? I have hearing aids, but have never worn them in the woods hunting. I'm always afraid of losing one, especially if my ears get cold and get numb so I can't feel them. I was told by the audiologist at the VA that these are worth about $7,000 for the pair and the VA only replaces them something like every 8 years if I recall. It's been years since I've heard a deer in the woods; I have to rely on seeing it move. If you wear hearing aids, any tips or advice? I'm thinking about wearing them this year for muzzle loader season, but only in the stand.

 

My hearing isn't terrible awful, but it's become quite a game with my hunting buddies to see who can sneak up the closest to me before I hear them LOL!!

I picked up a few of the cheap "Walker game Ear" from Fleet or Walmart to use but only for Bow Hunting. Don't need to blow out the rest of my hearing shooting the rifle. :(

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't the game ears cut out for the gun shot?

 

There are several brands of hearing protection out there that amplify sound until the BANG but cut out for that.  

 

The good ones aren't cheap of course, but cheaper than your typical clinical ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Don't the game ears cut out for the gun shot?

 

There are several brands of hearing protection out there that amplify sound until the BANG but cut out for that.

 

The good ones aren't cheap of course, but cheaper than your typical clinical ones.

 

Your right there are some good ones that cut out. The only issue I have with some of them is that even though you can hear sounds, you can't tell which way they are coming from. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at FF about 5 minutes after posting the question.  Every Walker product I saw there had electronic hearing protection.  I've had the muffs on before but only at camp - some friends use them.  I wondered if directional hearing would be a problem with them.

 

I looked up Westones one time.  They have several options and go inside your ear like a regular hearing aid.  I think you can retain your directional hearing with that type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming directional hearing wouldn't be an issue with my hearing aids because it's not an issue under normal use. I've pretty much decided to try wearing my hearing aids for ML season and just see how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Was at FF about 5 minutes after posting the question.  Every Walker product I saw there had electronic hearing protection.  I've had the muffs on before but only at camp - some friends use them.  I wondered if directional hearing would be a problem with them.

 

I looked up Westones one time.  They have several options and go inside your ear like a regular hearing aid.  I think you can retain your directional hearing with that type.

 

Yes, directional hearing is an issue with all hearing devises. It may not seem to be when your in a room talking with someone or in a familiar place where you know where sound may be coming from like at work. Next time your in the woods close your eye's and try to figure out which direction a sound is coming from. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mike89 said:

also I think the VA replaces your hearing aids in less than 8 years, seems a friend was only 3 or 5 years

That could be, I just can't remember for sure what they told me; although I'm pretty sure it was more than 3 years. Sounds like it may be worth checking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2016 at 7:52 PM, leech~~ said:

 

Yes, directional hearing is an issue with all hearing devises. It may not seem to be when your in a room talking with someone or in a familiar place where you know where sound may be coming from like at work. Next time your in the woods close your eye's and try to figure out which direction a sound is coming from. ;)

As it turns out, you're absolutely right about poor (if any) directional hearing. Yesterday I was in a large room with lots of people milling around and determining what direction someone was calling me from was definitely an issue. I guess I never really paid attention to it before. So what that means is that I'll have to really start to watch when I hear something in the woods to see where a sound is coming from. Heard from the people where I stay for muzzle loader season that there's about 10" of snow on the ground, so the woods will probably be quiet; a real test for wearing my hearing aids for the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cavalierowner said:

As it turns out, you're absolutely right about poor (if any) directional hearing. Yesterday I was in a large room with lots of people milling around and determining what direction someone was calling me from was definitely an issue. I guess I never really paid attention to it before. So what that means is that I'll have to really start to watch when I hear something in the woods to see where a sound is coming from. Heard from the people where I stay for muzzle loader season that there's about 10" of snow on the ground, so the woods will probably be quiet; a real test for wearing my hearing aids for the first time.

Just returned yesterday from Deer hunting up by Outing MN. We had 12 Inches easy and I had 9 doe's and 1 spike feeding on downed trees all around me. Didn't hear a sound, it was a beautiful morning in the woods. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Maybe there is a market for those earmuff amplifier things with enhanced stereo effects using two microphones like a foot or two apart... 

 

Lets see if I read this right. "earmuff amplifier things" "two microphones like a foot or two apart... "

How fat is your head anyway Del? :eek:

I sure would hate trying to walk through the woods with a two foot spread earmuffs on my head! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Increased stereo effect... stick out like horns on those vikings hats...   

You wouldn't have to put them on until you got into your stand....   You won't hear anything while walking through the woods anyway.  

 

I do wear a 7 3/4 hat.....

Edited by delcecchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Maybe there is a market for those earmuff amplifier things with enhanced stereo effects using two microphones like a foot or two apart...  

Not sure that would be a good idea for me. I can hear my nephew now: "I don't know what happened officer. I thought I saw antlers on an orange buck sitting in a tree with a rifle. Well, yes, I am in his will."   He has always said I was his seventh favorite uncle [of 7].   LOL!!!!

Edited by cavalierowner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Posts

    • Take it to that pawn shop in Las Vegas. They will bring in an expert to tell you it's history,give you a low ball offer once they find out and then you can just walk. 
    • I've always been partial to the fold down couch in the back but I'd want to have storage under it and a fold down bunk above it. One thing to keep in mind is the heater.  I know you said the current heater stays for this season and maybe next but if you're doing work on the layout now you should probably plan for the new heater now even if its not going in for a year or two.  You'd hate to do all this work adjusting the layout only to find out you should have done something differently to accommodate the new heater. 
    • If mine,  I would add those drop down bunks and some pedestal boat seats.  With a smaller house like that I would want as much open area as possible.  I think those big couch/sofas take too much room.  You can always drop the bunk and take a snooze without taking up floor fishing space.  Just some thoughts.......
    • I tried a glass of a buddy's Templeton Rye last night and was impressed. I'm not big of Rye's but this one was very smooth. I can't say I'd ever buy a bottle but someone else's booze is always up near the top of the list of my favorites. I still prefer the $15 Trader Joe's bourbon though. 
    • I didn't figure anyone at cabelas would be any help. I have scoured the gun and haven't ever been able to find any markings of any kind. I forgot to mention in the previous post that it's a 16 gauge.  If nothing else, it'll look cool hanging over my basement bar. 
    • Ha I remember showing ya a thing or 2!!! Not sure where your son got his fishin prowess from though! Yea well!! oh I changed my poopy pants!
    • I can't see the pics?
    • You might be better off trying to do some research on your own on the old shotgun. I think it would be a waste of time taking it to Cabela's since most of the folks  who work there now think  any gun made before 1970 is an antique. The gun surely is made in Europe and might have originated in one of the English or Belgian or even German "guild" shops, little outfits that cranked out inexpensive guns that did not even bear maker's names since they were made by a "bunch" of guys. Your best bet would be to trace or photograph the proof marks and go from there.  That is,  I'm assuming it has proof marks :).
    • For an exciting adventure in shooting grab an old "trapdoor" Springfield and rattle off a few rounds of 45-70 or 45-90.  If you're of skinny build and little weight it'll give you a THUMP you'll remember!   Perfect deer cartridge for MN though since that big ol' bullet will go churning through the brush like a D-8 Cat until it hit's it's target. Have been around the old '94 30-30 since way back when and while it is handy it is not that accurate and lacks the knock-down power of many, many of today's rounds. But if you just have to have one as I always say, it''s your money. Keep in mind you can buy the .35 Remington in a pump action,   which a lot of MN duck hunters find easy to use come deer season.
    • I have an old Damascus barreled shotgun that was passed on to me by my grandpa. The story I have always heard and been told is that it was brought over from Denmark by my great grandfather in 1915. It has no markings indicating where it was made or anything else that I could use to figure out some history on the gun. It is a pin fire and has a stag carved into the underside of the stock. Anyone have any ideas on where I could find any info on this? I had thought about bringing it to Cabelas and see if they knew anything about it. I'm not concerned about the value. I'd just like to know a little more about it or even get pointed in the right direction. 
  • Our Sponsors