• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hearing aids in the woods

For those of you who wear hearing aids, do you wear them in the woods hunting? I have hearing aids, but have never worn them in the woods hunting. I'm always afraid of losing one, especially if my ears get cold and get numb so I can't feel them. I was told by the audiologist at the VA that these are worth about $7,000 for the pair and the VA only replaces them something like every 8 years if I recall. It's been years since I've heard a deer in the woods; I have to rely on seeing it move. If you wear hearing aids, any tips or advice? I'm thinking about wearing them this year for muzzle loader season, but only in the stand.

My hearing isn't terrible awful, but it's become quite a game with my hunting buddies to see who can sneak up the closest to me before I hear them LOL!!

4 hours ago, cavalierowner said:

For those of you who wear hearing aids, do you wear them in the woods hunting? I have hearing aids, but have never worn them in the woods hunting. I'm always afraid of losing one, especially if my ears get cold and get numb so I can't feel them. I was told by the audiologist at the VA that these are worth about $7,000 for the pair and the VA only replaces them something like every 8 years if I recall. It's been years since I've heard a deer in the woods; I have to rely on seeing it move. If you wear hearing aids, any tips or advice? I'm thinking about wearing them this year for muzzle loader season, but only in the stand.

My hearing isn't terrible awful, but it's become quite a game with my hunting buddies to see who can sneak up the closest to me before I hear them LOL!!

I picked up a few of the cheap "Walker game Ear" from Fleet or Walmart to use but only for Bow Hunting. Don't need to blow out the rest of my hearing shooting the rifle. :(

Edited by leech~~

Don't the game ears cut out for the gun shot?

There are several brands of hearing protection out there that amplify sound until the BANG but cut out for that.  

The good ones aren't cheap of course, but cheaper than your typical clinical ones.

16 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Don't the game ears cut out for the gun shot?

There are several brands of hearing protection out there that amplify sound until the BANG but cut out for that.

The good ones aren't cheap of course, but cheaper than your typical clinical ones.

Your right there are some good ones that cut out. The only issue I have with some of them is that even though you can hear sounds, you can't tell which way they are coming from. :(

Was at FF about 5 minutes after posting the question.  Every Walker product I saw there had electronic hearing protection.  I've had the muffs on before but only at camp - some friends use them.  I wondered if directional hearing would be a problem with them.

I looked up Westones one time.  They have several options and go inside your ear like a regular hearing aid.  I think you can retain your directional hearing with that type.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Was at FF about 5 minutes after posting the question.  Every Walker product I saw there had electronic hearing protection.  I've had the muffs on before but only at camp - some friends use them.  I wondered if directional hearing would be a problem with them.

I looked up Westones one time.  They have several options and go inside your ear like a regular hearing aid.  I think you can retain your directional hearing with that type.

Yes, directional hearing is an issue with all hearing devises. It may not seem to be when your in a room talking with someone or in a familiar place where you know where sound may be coming from like at work. Next time your in the woods close your eye's and try to figure out which direction a sound is coming from. ;)

5 hours ago, Mike89 said:

also I think the VA replaces your hearing aids in less than 8 years, seems a friend was only 3 or 5 years

That could be, I just can't remember for sure what they told me; although I'm pretty sure it was more than 3 years. Sounds like it may be worth checking.

On 11/16/2016 at 7:52 PM, leech~~ said:

Yes, directional hearing is an issue with all hearing devises. It may not seem to be when your in a room talking with someone or in a familiar place where you know where sound may be coming from like at work. Next time your in the woods close your eye's and try to figure out which direction a sound is coming from. ;)

As it turns out, you're absolutely right about poor (if any) directional hearing. Yesterday I was in a large room with lots of people milling around and determining what direction someone was calling me from was definitely an issue. I guess I never really paid attention to it before. So what that means is that I'll have to really start to watch when I hear something in the woods to see where a sound is coming from. Heard from the people where I stay for muzzle loader season that there's about 10" of snow on the ground, so the woods will probably be quiet; a real test for wearing my hearing aids for the first time.

1 hour ago, cavalierowner said:

As it turns out, you're absolutely right about poor (if any) directional hearing. Yesterday I was in a large room with lots of people milling around and determining what direction someone was calling me from was definitely an issue. I guess I never really paid attention to it before. So what that means is that I'll have to really start to watch when I hear something in the woods to see where a sound is coming from. Heard from the people where I stay for muzzle loader season that there's about 10" of snow on the ground, so the woods will probably be quiet; a real test for wearing my hearing aids for the first time.

Just returned yesterday from Deer hunting up by Outing MN. We had 12 Inches easy and I had 9 doe's and 1 spike feeding on downed trees all around me. Didn't hear a sound, it was a beautiful morning in the woods. :)

35 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Maybe there is a market for those earmuff amplifier things with enhanced stereo effects using two microphones like a foot or two apart... 

Lets see if I read this right. "earmuff amplifier things" "two microphones like a foot or two apart... "

How fat is your head anyway Del? :eek:

I sure would hate trying to walk through the woods with a two foot spread earmuffs on my head! :D

Increased stereo effect... stick out like horns on those vikings hats...   

You wouldn't have to put them on until you got into your stand....   You won't hear anything while walking through the woods anyway.  

I do wear a 7 3/4 hat.....

Edited by delcecchi

10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Maybe there is a market for those earmuff amplifier things with enhanced stereo effects using two microphones like a foot or two apart...  

Not sure that would be a good idea for me. I can hear my nephew now: "I don't know what happened officer. I thought I saw antlers on an orange buck sitting in a tree with a rifle. Well, yes, I am in his will."   He has always said I was his seventh favorite uncle [of 7].   LOL!!!!

Edited by cavalierowner