• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This could be it. If my plans don't get canceled I will be in Baudette taking the brunt of it. Hoping the birds are moving through. Hunting the snow is fun!

If if they do I will be at home hoping the weather birds need a place to rest while they are bugging out

Big Push?  This whole snow system is WAY south of Canada.  Temps are pretty chilly, and the winds are blowing fairly hard, but the standing water temps all over are still in the 40's!

Gonna get fairly cold this weekend up here, but it doesn't look to last all that long.  Daily temps for next week are in the mid-30's and possibly climbing back to the 40's toward the end of next week.

I'm sure the birds will start coming down in pretty good numbers, but I'm not holding my breath for a "big push".  I'm guessing it's still just a little too mild to make em' move much.  Who knows, this drawn out mild weather could end up working in our favor.  At least they won't ALL blow over in 24 hrs. with a cold, stiff tailwind.

I tried to see the big push Friday north of the Brainerd lakes area.  I will rank that attempt as one of the top five stupidest things I've done in a long time.  Really long time.  I was hoping for more wind less snow and ducks bombing the decoys.  After 4 hours and one merganser seen and shot I called it quits.  Four hours later I made it 9 miles to the liquor store.  

I got stuck at the landing pulling the boat out.  I got stuck again trying to back into the driveway at the cabin.  I had to plow the driveway and road before digging my truck out.  Today I was going to hunt the lake my cabin is on but when I woke up it was about 80% covered in ice or snow.  

I'm thinking about sleeping in tomorrow...but then again theyou have to be somewhere.  Can anyone tell me why we don't have a teal season.   

On 11/17/2016 at 11:09 PM, CANOPY SAM said:

Big Push?  This whole snow system is WAY south of Canada.  Temps are pretty chilly, and the winds are blowing fairly hard, but the standing water temps all over are still in the 40's!

Gonna get fairly cold this weekend up here, but it doesn't look to last all that long.  Daily temps for next week are in the mid-30's and possibly climbing back to the 40's toward the end of next week.

I'm sure the birds will start coming down in pretty good numbers, but I'm not holding my breath for a "big push".  I'm guessing it's still just a little too mild to make em' move much.  Who knows, this drawn out mild weather could end up working in our favor.  At least they won't ALL blow over in 24 hrs. with a cold, stiff tailwind.

The only big push I saw was pushing all birds out of the state, as it was located in the central part of the state  this storm did little to push birds out of Canada, only seeing sawbills and swans on Northlong this weekend...

16 hours ago, HNTNBUX said:

I tried to see the big push Friday north of the Brainerd lakes area.  I will rank that attempt as one of the top five stupidest things I've done in a long time.  Really long time.  I was hoping for more wind less snow and ducks bombing the decoys.  After 4 hours and one merganser seen and shot I called it quits.  Four hours later I made it 9 miles to the liquor store.  

I got stuck at the landing pulling the boat out.  I got stuck again trying to back into the driveway at the cabin.  I had to plow the driveway and road before digging my truck out.  Today I was going to hunt the lake my cabin is on but when I woke up it was about 80% covered in ice or snow.  

I'm thinking about sleeping in tomorrow...but then again theyou have to be somewhere.  Can anyone tell me why we don't have a teal season.   

Yeah, it's kind of a disaster in your area.  My post was made while stuck and waiting for a pull.  Spent all night helping Mark plow.  Slept 4 hours, and getting ready to get back at it.  

Coffee first.

Not a whole lot of birds south of us according to reports. Lots of speculation. Feeding in flooded grains in warm Canada, miscount by the powers that be, let the hunters hear what they want to hear to keep the money flowing? My source in nodak says lots of ducks and darks and most water still open. Still have open dates on my license too. If I could hunt mn, it would be above the snow line. They're going to slide down that to sw I bet . Really no migration through my limited travels. Usually get a week or so covered in geese right around home. Had 1 day back a couple of weeks where a half dozen migrator groups dumped into the lake across the road for a drink but did not stay in the area. Just got done with a few days in Rochester. My room at Mayo faced the river and lake. When I checked in Thursday, probably saw 50 geese returning from morning feed before the front moved in. Never saw another goose. Should have been some come into town with the storm. Weird.

Guess a guy has to go with a guide in Saskatchewan?

In central MN I did see some more birds than I did before the storm but not enough to call in the Calvary and do a large group shoot.  Sat got three mallards and one GWT.  They all decoyed awesome, definetally new to the area.  Talking to my friends in Manitoba that didn't get snow, large lakes are still open and the birds are still there.  They have a place to roost and an all you can eat buffet.  They won't leave until the roost freezes or they get a bunch of snow.  

Been watching and watching, morning and evening, even hunting to maybe get lucky as it comes through... and nada. One mallard Friday in the storm, and nothing since. Still have hope for a Thanksgiving Morning miracle ;)

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

as is always the case in minnesota, complaints about how lousy the duck season is will continue unabated.

You gotta call it like you see it. There is a reason I do 90% of my duck hunting out of state. I don't have to  complain to often but  maybe only 10% of the time. LOL !! I will be waiting for the big push next Tuesday and Thursday on the river and hopefully its not another big terd. 

Hunted Mille lacs today in my layout. It was a complete circus. First one where I launched, paddled out nearly a mile. Twenty minutes before legal two boats came out anchored down wind of me two hundred yards with their cattail camo, I pulled and moved. When they called it quits they decided to try and tip me and circled me several times, could hear them laughing and swearing. No boat licenses since they were duck boats. By the time I got to the access they were gone but left two mergansers for me on my windshield. Circled the lake saw at least a dozen boats anchored with decoys out. Talked to a few guys that tried it and they had minimal luck open water with full size boats. Without any identification on the unfriendly group I figured calling the co would be fruitless. Terrible way to end the season. Decoys are going into storage. Good luck to those out there that are ethical and respect the sport.

Kettle