• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Burger question

MCI

The meat market always asks me if I want beef or pork added to my venison burger. I've always passed on that and just had them grind the venison straight up.

my options were beef fat, pork fat or mixing in a %age of beef burger in with the venison.

My question to the group is, has anyone ever tried 1 or all 3 options?

If so, which do you like the best?

Thanks.

I think the point is you want some fat, maybe 10 or 15 or so percent in the burger to make it juicier and more flavorful.  Of course you can do that yourself later if you want to.  

How is the straight veni working for you?  Normally it is so lean that it dries out really easily, especially if cooked on the done side. 

Beef has fat built right in, but wild game burger needs a boost. You can use several things to up the fat content (and flavor) depending on what the final product is going to be. Bacon trimmings (sold in boxed form often called Ends and Pieces) add a great flavor to burgers and meat loaf. Beef fat and pork butt are both available from good butchers and make great fat additives. You can control the ratio of meat to fat, but I like somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 percent. Experiment until you find what's right for you.

On 11/12/2016 at 6:05 PM, RebelSS said:

Bacon trimmings (sold in boxed form often called Ends and Pieces) add a great flavor to burgers and meat loaf.

Hey Rebel do you have a lead on where to get the Ends and Pieces? We used to be able to find them in grocery stories in the Twin Cities, but haven't been able to find them for a few years.

Sometimes in the cities if you ask the guy in the meat dept they can get or order you something they don't normally carry and even sometimes will give you a better price if you are buying in larger quanities. Their vendors do have it and I have ordered ground pork etc. from Cub meat dept before. Not every store will do it but if you ask around someone will. Pretty easy for them they just have to order it.The W usually has ends and pieces of bacon near their other bacon.

I process my own deer and and grind my scraps to straight venison.  We usually make hot dishes, tacos, venny lasagna, or some other dish and I prefer all venison.  When I want a hamburger I either add egg to help it stick together but most of the time I buy a pound of hamburger for my hamburger.  It all comes down to personal preference as there is no right or wrong answer.

26 minutes ago, fivebucks said:

I process my own deer and and grind my scraps to straight venison.  We usually make hot dishes, tacos, venny lasagna, or some other dish and I prefer all venison.  When I want a hamburger I either add egg to help it stick together but most of the time I buy a pound of hamburger for my hamburger.  It all comes down to personal preference as there is no right or wrong answer.

I am on the "all venny" train, too. The only time I add fat to venison is when I'm making sausage. Even in the case of burgers, I like straight venny, and I just cook a little lower and slower after melting a dab of butter in the pan. I've never had an issue with them being too dry and I find I really like the texture.

Something else that is often neglected with venison. 

• Skinning it as soon as possible after the kill is beneficial because it allows the meat to cool rapidly. It's also a lot easier to skin when the carcass is still warm. To keep the outside from drying just cover with wet towels or cheesecloth.
  • Do not process the meat for about 24 hours or more after the kill to allow rigor mortis to relax. Processing while stiff will likely result in tougher meat.
  • If possible, age the meat in a controlled environment for about 7-10 days. This can be done after cutting. Just allow the meat to age before freezing. I bone mine out and place in buckets in a spare refrigerator and drain off the blood daily. I do find the meat is more tender this way including my ground meat and for some reason, which I can't explain, it seems more moist. When I eat sausage or ground venison that was not aged, it seems to have a little rubbery texture compared to my aged version.

Just a few thoughts from my own experience.

On 11/15/2016 at 11:52 AM, Getanet said:

Hey Rebel do you have a lead on where to get the Ends and Pieces? We used to be able to find them in grocery stories in the Twin Cities, but haven't been able to find them for a few years.

Pretty much have to get chummy with a butcher, nowadays. Or, if ya have a meat packing place anywhere near by, they sure can get ya ALL ya need! But for at home stuff, ask a good butcher to save and freeze ya a box next time they are doing trims. 

The Festival Foods in Hugo has them by the regular bacon in 2 pound packages, I guessing they probably sell them in all of their stores.  We really like it for burgers, I usually grind it 4:1 venison/bacon.
:

Veni-butter burger sounds amazing right now.. That would be my choice of flavor/fat to add in before pattying. For burgers that is, for anything else I'd add a little pork fat. I haven't ground anything for a decade though, I just roast it or steak it out. 

On 11/18/2016 at 2:44 PM, Ebiz said:

We really like it for burgers, I usually grind it 4:1 venison/bacon.
:

I'm going to try that. I usually mix my hamburger with pork sausage but I think this would be even better. I have a friend that owns a meat market so I'm sure I can get him to grind me up a few pounds to try it.

Tried something new. I make a lot of jerky with pork loins and usually have 3 pounds of trim or so from fat and the smaller end. So I had 3 1/2 pounds of trim and added it to 4 pounds ground venny. Really good!. Made 24 burgers using 1/3 cup for each and the tupperware burger press. flash froze them  on a big cookie sheet with wax paper between the layers. then put 12 each in a bread bag for use down the road. Have done the bacon venny mix a couple times over the years, I prefer mixing with pork sausage  or italian pork sausage. its all good :)