• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's found a better Empire heater gasket

rickwalley

I have an Empire DV-215 heater and have always found it easier and quicker to take off the viewing/ observation cover and light the pilot.  That gasket gets pretty brittle and fragile very quick and is hard to keep handling without it getting wrecked.   Has anyone found a more durable material to cut one from that will survive repeated handling and of coarse the heat involved?

Thanks for the responses guys.........I wish I didn't have to initially light the pilot through the window, but I've never been successful in using the snap igniter idea. It seems like it takes quite awhile to purge the LP line before it could light, so I'd have to be punching that thing for awhile before it would go.after the LP finally got there.    Is there a safety factor I'm not aware of to just light the pilot through that open window?  It's closed back up before I let the burner come online.  We've all lit pilot lights over the years without worrying about a questionable  safety factor?

If your igniter isn't working I would check the pilot to see it was strong enough. Lots of pilots are bad right out of the box. Too small and they don't ignite, too big and they get sucked out. I change mine every fall and keep an extra in the shack, it's easy once you've done it. Minnesota doesn't have very stringent standards on propane cleanliness like most states.