• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Sled Trailer

titelines

Hi Everyone,

Will hopefully be getting a new sled this season, but will need a trailer first.

Disclaimer - While I have had a sled for many years, I have never had a "real" snowmobile trailer, so this is new to me.  Looking for opinions from folks that have much more experience than me.

Here is what I need:

- I will be getting a long-track (154") sled (think Pantera Limited or Bear Cat XT)

- We will only have the one sled, but I will also haul my portable fish house on it (Clam Yukon), so I will need a 2-place trailer.

Questions:

- What brand(s) / models would you recommend?  Why?

- Is aluminum the way to go?  I don't plan on getting another trailer for a long, long time.

- Tilt, or ramp?  Pros / cons?

- Salt guards are a must - right?

- If this had to be stored out side for awhile, would you recommend a cover for added security?

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

t'lines

Well I havnt looked at brands lately but I do have a Triton trailer that is over 20 years old and just replaced the bed for the first time and it sits outside most of the winter. Definitly want aluminum as steels rusts quickly with the salt in winter. Salt shield is a must have. If you have reverse and just one or 2 sleds I don't think you need a drive on/off trailer as a tilt bed will do. Mine is a 8X10.

IMG_1210.JPG

Thank you Walleyehooker - 

Yes, a flip top is what I was thinking.  Just something for security and critters.  In looking into things, it sounds like Triton's are highly respected, and aluminum seems to be the way to go.  Thank you for the insight on a tilt vs. drive on/off as well.

Appreciate it!  

t-lines

Another option for about the same money is a cargo trailer. I'm going to buy a 7 X 16 cargo trailer to haul my snowmobile in the winter and motorcycles in the summer along with other uses. Some differences is the cargo trailer has a steel frame but the one I'm looking at a H &H has a coated frame. Has larger tires and tandem axel in a 16 footer. More head room to walk in and a rear ramp.