• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red elm??

Boar

Question

18 answers to this question

Hickory and Pacific Yew also work.  Any special reason for Red Elm? 

You could always take a trip to the "big woods" in the southern part of the state with a saw in the vehicle.   Or contact one of the logging companies

Try calling Vetsch Hardwoods in Rochester or Nelson Hardwood lumber in Praire du Chein, Wisconsin

Or, best to call since they list red elm on their web site...

Root River Hardwoods...

http://www.rootriverhardwoods.com/

http://www.rootriverhardwoods.com/redelm.html

Remember "NO ORDER IS TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL". Thank you for considering Root River Hardwoods. Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have at 1.888.809.6637 or email us at [email protected].

Since smurfy is always going to red wing, which isn't too far from preston, and you guys are buddies, maybe he could pick you up a chunk and deliver it.   :lol:

You do need to order in advance before showing up.  

Edited by delcecchi

i should have said risers, im actually looking for pice of red elm that  either 6' long by 3" wide and pices that are 12" long and 3 inches wide if you find stuff like that let me know.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:40 PM, delcecchi said:

Hickory and Pacific Yew also work.  Any special reason for Red Elm? 

You could always take a trip to the "big woods" in the southern part of the state with a saw in the vehicle.   Or contact one of the logging companies

Try calling Vetsch Hardwoods in Rochester or Nelson Hardwood lumber in Praire du Chein, Wisconsin

Or, best to call since they list red elm on their web site...

Root River Hardwoods...

http://www.rootriverhardwoods.com/

http://www.rootriverhardwoods.com/redelm.html

Remember "NO ORDER IS TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL". Thank you for considering Root River Hardwoods. Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have at 1.888.809.6637 or email us at [email protected].

Since smurfy is always going to red wing, which isn't too far from preston, and you guys are buddies, maybe he could pick you up a chunk and deliver it.   :lol:

You do need to order in advance before showing up.  

As a cabinetmaker I have purchased from all of them and that's not where to go when looking for what he wants.

All of their red elm,when available, would be kiln dried and dimensioned to .75 inches thick because they are intended for cabinets, wainscoting or flooring. Plus they generally only sell bigger quantities to businesses although they might make an exception.

You just want to go to the woods and get what you want. Even sawmills just take in the trunk, not the branches which is what he wants.

3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

As a cabinetmaker I have purchased from all of them and that's not where to go when looking for what he wants.

All of their red elm,when available, would be kiln dried and dimensioned to .75 inches thick because they are intended for cabinets, wainscoting or flooring. Plus they generally only sell bigger quantities to businesses although they might make an exception.

You just want to go to the woods and get what you want. Even sawmills just take in the trunk, not the branches which is what he wants.

The Root River Hardwoods place lists select or better in 4/4 or 5/4 under "kiln dried lumber".   Could you explain what they mean by that? 

I see they also sell red elm flooring in 2.5-5 inch widths.   It is available clear.   A couple of 8 footers by 5 inches wide would make bow limbs.  Or even 6 footers. 

Or the paneling is also available in Red Elm.  

But 3/4 stock would work for a bow, with the handle/riser laminated.  

Going full "woodwright shop"  would also work but be a lot tougher.  

Boar, I haven't gotten any PMs yet but will watch for them. 

6 hours ago, delcecchi said:

The Root River Hardwoods place lists select or better in 4/4 or 5/4 under "kiln dried lumber".   Could you explain what they mean by that? 

Yes. 4/4 means it has been kiln dried and dimensioned to 3/4" thick by whatever width it is.5/4 is 1.25" thick. Can you do it? Sure. But why not just get green wood from some guy who has a sawmill? 

I see they also sell red elm flooring in 2.5-5 inch widths.   It is available clear.   A couple of 8 footers by 5 inches wide would make bow limbs.  Or even 6 footers. 

I guess I maybe misunderstood him. I was thinking he wanted to do a traditional one piece long bow like this:

If, in fact he wants to make a multi piece laminated bow or long bow then the above would certainly work but I would still get green wood from a tree cutter or mill than pay all the extra processing that doesn't gain you anything. 

If it is this he is looking to do then I was mistaken

If you want to laminate and don't have the equipment to do everything I would just buy a kit.

One place I know that has had non kiln dried red elm that you could pick up in different thicknesses is

Minnesota Hardwoods Inc  

Lumber Store

Address: 313 4th St, Courtland, MN 56021

Phone:(507) 233-7200

But I haven't been there in a while and don't know if things have changed. If you don't want to just cut a branch from a tree I would look for a southern Minnesota guy who has a small operation and a wood mizer sawmill. 

Edited by PurpleFloyd

Well, it's boar and I don't know what he wants to do.  Not sure why one would start with green wood however.   But I have never made a wooden longbow, although I shot a recurve laminated bow for years.  

Biggest problem is he lives like 200 miles from red elm territory...

Well, from what I know they didn't have kiln dried lumber during the time these bows were originally made so there is that. Plus you pay more for dried and dimensioned lumber. Other than that if you are ok with the price you certainly can do it. Lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat. 

You might find out from the sources that you listed that they may or may not sell small quantities. I have purchased from both and they had like $500 minimum orders but that may only be if they deliver it to you. Many also had a minimum square foot of each type of wood that you had to purchase. Not sure if that applies today or not. 

I think it's cool he is doing this and would love to hear more about his plans and see progress as he does it.

You guys are great with helping and disscussing, I really appreciate it, Im sorry if im vauge on this, my cusin is a Bowyer and is coaching me on this so it means more to me instead of placing an order. I need peices that are min 6' in length, 2-3 inches wide, and 1/2 inch thick, and peices 3 ft in lenght with the same width and thickness, and laminated is preferd, but if its rough cut, min 2 years air dried.

I will lookinto root river thanks del.

and others mentioned. thanks guys.

2 minutes ago, Boar said:

You guys are great with helping and disscussing, I really appreciate it, Im sorry if im vauge on this, my cusin is a Bowyer and is coaching me on this so it means more to me instead of placing an order. I need peices that are min 6' in length, 2-3 inches wide, and 1/2 inch thick, and peices 3 ft in lenght with the same width and thickness, and laminated is preferd, but if its rough cut, min 2 years air dried.

I will lookinto root river thanks del.

and others mentioned. thanks guys.

If you have trouble or if you need an account to purchase let me know. I can always run a transaction through my account if they require it.

If you know someone who makes bows that makes a difference. I was thinking you were going the primitive route. Post pictures of it when you are done 

I think of longbows as sort of primitive, not been popular since recurves came along.  But maybe "primitive" means something special when talking about archery. 

Howard Hill was a famous archer who shot a longbow.   Here is a picture of him with something he shot.... Boar could really make sausage out of that...  (that's an elephant he killed with a longbow)

Howard-Hill.jpg

thanks guys!! absolutley will post picture of the progrees. my goal is to build my own and kill a bear. long bows and recureve, I think are in a class of traditional, and primitive is even a smaller class yet, where you go find a young tree of say ash, and carve it out to a bow and even make you own string and arrows, I will be making my own arrows for my long bow also.  one step at time. thnanks guys!