• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last harvest of the year

Duffman

I also still have Kohlrabi, Daikons, Romaine lettuce, and beets in my garden. The latest I have had veggies in 35 years of gardening. And it isn't suppose to freeze all this coming week. Have to love it if you are a gardener.

Friend from church just gave me some stuff from his garden....  Arugula, parsley, and rosemary.  Then the guy across the street came over and gave me a pheasant breast.  He just got back from SD. 

Time for sous vide pheasant next week.    

Who is still harvesting food from their garden?

My wife and I are still eating a lot of delicious spinach, kale and chard which will continue through early December this year. We have gotten down to 23f in the west metro but still not cold enough to kill off these hardy plants. The bigger chard leaves wilted, but the new growth is still coming on. The colder temps finally killed the herbs and arugula. The Kale and spinach didn't flinch under the snow and colder temps.

One of the producing greens bed was planted in March, so it has definitely been a very long and productive growing season this year.  

My Hovland garden, which is 10 feet from the front door of our cabin planted the their week of April, was cleaned out by the deer prior to firearms season, so we were not able to harvest kale and chard up there during camp as an addition to our meals, but I believe we could have if not for the marauders (We did go three for three on deer though). 

My carrots were a bust this year. I lost about half of them to rot. They do keep well in the ground and seem to get sweeter the longer they are in. I typically dig  a lot mine right before rifle deer season. This past season we had eaten all of the good ones and didn't have any left in the ground after first frost for storage or canning.